Biggest Liability ... it’s not QB

PC Jr.

Alumnus of Note
IMO, the secondary is the biggest are of concern right now. They didn’t play well and it wasn’t that the didn’t understand the scheme or responsibilities. They lacked awareness in coverage and some physical ability (Speed, making tackles, strength). These are long term issues that will cause huge issues against good offenses.

remember, the offense (and Henry T) scored 31 points. That should good enough to win several games with solid defensive play.

IMO, the secondary is the biggest are of concern right now. They didn’t play well and it wasn’t that the didn’t understand the scheme or responsibilities. They lacked awareness in coverage and some physical ability (Speed, making tackles, strength). These are long term issues that will cause huge issues against good offenses.

remember, the offense (and Henry T) scored 31 points. That should good enough to win several games with solid defensive play.
Actually the offense scored 24 and the defense scored 7.

Yes, the defense has to play better for a full game. Outside 1 drive in the first half they played well.

Shamburger is one of the best at his position in the country. The D played a lot of inexperienced guys.

Yes. The 800 lb gorilla is still a RS Sr QB who misses open receivers and is consistently late/slow with reads. If he hits the throws that were open and should be automatic for someone with his level of experience then the D is off the field more. UT had 55 plays to 67 for USCe.

The OL's inability to move USCe's DL around in the run game is also a major concern since JG is at best reliably inconsistent throwing the ball.

Shamburger is one of the best at his position in the country. The D played a lot of inexperienced guys.

Yes. The 800 lb gorilla is still a RS Sr QB who misses open receivers and is consistently late/slow with reads. If he hits the throws that were open and should be automatic for someone with his level of experience then the D is off the field more. UT had 55 plays to 67 for USCe.

The OL's inability to move USCe's DL around in the run game is also a major concern since JG is at best reliably inconsistent throwing the ball.
I think the Vols still play to the level of the competition. The offense did enough to win. However, lack of depth and effectiveness of the secondary is really worrisome. Missouri will be tough to handle if the first team DBs Aren’t back by Saturday

I think the Vols still play to the level of the competition. The offense did enough to win. However, lack of depth and effectiveness of the secondary is really worrisome. Missouri will be tough to handle if the first team DBs Aren’t back by Saturday
It is hard to say since without the OOC games we don't really know how good anyone is.

The O needs JG to hit those throws. It opens up the run game more and also provides more run opportunities.

I STILL do not care who the QB is... but UT needs MUCH better than that to compete with any of the top tier teams.

I saw some issues, but there was a lot of positive.

That was the best I've seen Tennessee get after a QB in a while. When they blitzed, they got home on several occasions. There were also several occasions where they got pressure with just 4.

There are other examples.

In fact, in truth, the concerning thing is how much they did well and they won by 4.

In addition to missing Shamburger, Pruitt said on his TV show that McCullough and one more DB they are counting on didn’t come back to practice till Weds after missing a significant number of practices. Didn’t realize that. Hard to get guys game ready with only one real practice.

Secondary is the most difficult part of the defense to play clean- not exactly easy given all the guys who have missed in the secondary and lack of practices in general. They'll be better- too talented not to be and Pruitt's bread and butter. I thought Alontae and Slaughter looked good

South Carolina was only effective on two passing plays, the crossing slants and the inside out. First game needs improvements but they didn’t play terrible either

Secondary is the most difficult part of the defense to play clean- not exactly easy given all the guys who have missed in the secondary and lack of practices in general. They'll be better- too talented not to be and Pruitt's bread and butter. I thought Alontae and Slaughter looked good
Slaughter looked like a beast. Loved his play

Also, we don't have any true downhill RBs. I like Gray but it doesn't take much contact to bring him down.

Did no one she Keneth George Jr. Getting abused the entire game until they benched him. Anyone that watches the game again look for number #5.
Yes, he and Slaughter took turns getting toasted by Shi Smith. I was hoping they would put Taylor on him or bring B. Thompson back to CB to match up with him.

VN Store

Back