Biggest bust as a highly touted recruit.

Brent Schaeffer.

Loved his action. Left handed RPO QB.

Injured as Freshman. Then got in trouble with a computer somehow.
Schaeffer was a talent Randy Sanders and crew had no clue how to use. You could see the formations change, then predict the playcall when Schaeffer came into the game.

Reminded me of those days when Leonard Scott was on the field. You knew a reverse was coming on that possession.

Schaeffer's skillset would have been utilized and perfect for the Dave Clawsen scheme 3 years later.

Reactions: WiseOlVol
Chris Donald
It has been so long I forgot, but you are spot on. He went from hero to zero in a hurry. To think we let Patrick Willis slip right out of our hands.... Phil would not offer him a scholarship. I think because he got burned so bad Chris he was going to take another risk on a linebacker from another tiny school in Carroll county. Dang, did we screw that up. I figured both of them were going to be completly dominate at the next level so I am no better.

Schaeffer was a talent Randy Sanders and crew had no clue how to use. You could see the formations change, then predict the playcall when Schaeffer came into the game.

Reminded me of those days when Leonard Scott was on the field. You knew a reverse was coming on that possession.

Schaeffer's skillset would have been utilized and perfect for the Dave Clawsen scheme 3 years later.
He was the starter the first two games and essentially alternated series or sets of series with Ainge. When Ainge had that great 2nd half against UF, we didn't see much of Schaeffer again until he bailed us out against South Carolina

Reactions: SpookyAction
Kelly was better. Pulled for Sterling at the beginning of the season...mostly due to Sterling's performance the previous season against Boston College. But that was more him being better than Randy Sanders. Still believe we beat Bama that season with Kelly under center. He was frustrating because he could lead you back from any deficit. But way too often, he was the reason you were behind in the first place. But his legacy should be cemented at UT. He was the signalcaller for way too many great victories and if he was a hack, they would've been losses.
Henton started the season out as the starter. Yes, he had played well in the 1987 season as Jeff Francis' backup.

There's the problem. Coach Battle was 3 years gone in 1979....

I was going to his Football Camps before his departure; sorry, I didn't make that clear. My point? I am in no way an SEC-level player, never was........just being funny. Thanks

I remember him pulling me aside and saying, "Young man, these guys will hurt you" They didn't, but I was happy just to be there. He said I needed to grow 3 more inches and put on 50 lbs; the pounds eventually came,😂 but the 3 inches never did.

Lee Otis Burton.
I have always felt bad for this kid. He was the best of a tremendous recruiting year. Little did we know that that class was going to be under a shadow for 4 years. Lee North was the only one to make it as a starter through his senior year (and he had to battle knee problems the whole way). Burton was struck down by a mysterious illness and never played a down.

Kelly wasn't "pulled". He never started until the game after Alabama
WHERE did I say he was "pulled"? You need ME in this one? There seems to be another conversation going on.

Edit: Looked back on the posts. I should've put I in front of "pulled for Henton" in the previous post. Can understand the confusion now..

Last edited:
Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Ben Martin. Was supposed to be the next great Vol DE. 5 star. Ohio player of the year. Had one decent season, 3 mediocre ones. Never remotely lived up to the hype.

Brandon Jeffries was supposed to be a sure fire NFL first round kind of OL. 5 star. #1 OL in the nation. #1 player in NC. He barely played. Transfered to JUCO as a junior.

Derrick Tinsley is an honorable mention. He was a 5 star, super hyped dual threat RB that was expected to be lightning to Houston's thunder in the 2004 class. He averaged around 82 yards rushing per year for 4 years and around 100 receiving yards per season. He touched the ball just under a 100 times in his 4 years here.
Martin spent most of his career injured. When he was finally healthy, he was very good.

There were a lot from the Butch Years. McKenzie, Drew Richmond, Dontavious Blair. Drew Richmond was to me one of the biggest disappointments I can remember. Softest O-lineman we've ever had

Gerald Riggs had a 1000 yards rushing his Jr year and his senior year he was in the talk for the Heisman until he was injured the 6th game and missed the rest of the year.

Gerald Riggs had a 1000 yards rushing his Jr year and his senior year he was in the talk for the Heisman until he was injured the 6th game and missed the rest of the year.

He did have a pretty good Jr year but his Sr year he was managing 88ypg at 4.2ypc and 3td. I think you'd agree that's not going to produce any serious Heisman consideration.

Kahlil McKenzie
not even close.. he played productive snaps for this team and until last season stuck around the NFL.. his issue is we played him on the wrong side of the ball (out of necessity) from 2018-2022 he stuck around on NFL rosters... and is now in the XFL. Who knows how different his career goes if he'd played Oline instead of Dline at UT or if he hadn't gotten injured early on? Funny story, playing out of position and/or role was a big theme in the Butch Jones era.

I'm gonna go with Janzen Jackson. I mean, going from starting next to Eric Berry to 11 years in prison in 3 years that's as big as one can bust right?? Bryce Brown is a close second.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Can't believe no one has mentioned James Banks
I was in the Bubble once while some of the football players, basketball players and Lady Vols were playing a pickup basketball game. James Banks was the best basketball player on the court.
I always wanted to see what he could do as a full time QB

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
I don't know if it was the "biggest"...but certainly a NICE Tennessee Bust...

4bd59d0d25252431b9be3c3595252f821891599679.jpg
"How would you like your change, sir?
"Nipples and dimes would be fine, ma'am."

Yall never pass up an opportunity to hate on JG. He wasnt a bust. Young man had to go through several coaching changes and didnt live up to everyone lofty expectations, but not a bust IMO. I agree with an earlier post, Munoz and DaRick contributed too much to be a bust. For me Tyler Byrd looked like an All American DB coming in and never even played on D. Him and Dillon Bates are my most recent busts

Bryce Brown is all time bust though

VN Store

Back