Big10 Rumor: adding 4 including Clemson and FSU

Wow.
I know the local media did a story about how disgruntled some of the ACC schools were about the lack of revenue (as opposed to the SEC) and they were demanding answers and solutions from their commissioner during their meetings last week. There was a little soundbite on one of the stations from him and he didn’t sound very convincing as far as being able to satisfy them.
I mean, dang- all they have had with football the past few years has been Clemson. I think they missed the boat by not going to the SEC and now that Stankey says 16 teams is the limit, it might be now or never for them. Geographically, it’s the best option available 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
I have figured as many others have done, that is the ACC could be broken up that Clemson and FSU come to the SEC. Then the SEC locks down the south 💯%.

Reactions: Remy
I have figured as many others have done, that is the ACC could be broken up that Clemson and FSU come to the SEC. Then the SEC locks down the south 💯%.
FSU has clearly avoided joining the SEC. Not sure about Clemson, but I suspect they both want no part of competing in this league. Wusses.

First I have seen this rumor. Shocked at the news about the ACC schools.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...umors-clemson-florida-state-oregon-washington
This would be a smart move by the BIG. It seemed like the next big piece on the chess board was going to be the SEC branching off to itself and attempting to poach OSU and Mich. While overall the SEC would likely still have the best team in the nation each year, the BIG may be just as competitive or more competitive than the SEC.

Last edited:
Until the grant of rights that the ACC schools fall under is challenged successfully I doubt either FSU or Clemson will be changing conferences anytime soon. Personally I'm not sure I would want either in the SEC anyway and if it happens it just opens up the ACC for SEC poaching especially into the North Carolina and Virginia markets which I would be more interested in. Washington and Oregon to the Big 10 makes complete sense given USC and UCLA's move and the PAC-12's TV deal expiring. The PAC-12 is just about dead or at minimum a shell of themselves and this would further deepen the hole. Arizona, ASU and maybe Utah would easily be targets of the Big 12.

This would be a smart move by the BIG. It seemed like the next big piece on the chess board was going to be the SEC branching off to itself and attempting to poach OSU and Mich. While overall the SEC would likely still have the best team in the nation each year, the BIG may be just as competitive or more competitive than the SEC.
I don't believe that scenario with OSU and Michigan. I have always considered we wind up with 2 power conferences like AFC and NFC.

FSU has clearly avoided joining the SEC. Not sure about Clemson, but I suspect they both want no part of competing in this league. Wusses.

Actually, FSU has lobbied behind the scenes for years to join the SEC. Their TV market brings nothing to the table that the SEC doesn't already have. Adding UNC (Charolette metro) and VT (big in the DC market) are worth more to the conference and don't upset the balance...

Seems years ago before Arkansas and USCe that the SEC reached out to FSU and Miami and both declined. Now, this was before the internet (was what it is) but, I remember being told they didn’t want to get beat up week in and week out! Lol

Reactions: Steelcurtain
Until the grant of rights that the ACC schools fall under is challenged successfully I doubt either FSU or Clemson will be changing conferences anytime soon. Personally I'm not sure I would want either in the SEC anyway and if it happens it just opens up the ACC for SEC poaching especially into the North Carolina and Virginia markets which I would be more interested in. Washington and Oregon to the Big 10 makes complete sense given USC and UCLA's move and the PAC-12's TV deal expiring. The PAC-12 is just about dead or at minimum a shell of themselves and this would further deepen the hole. Arizona, ASU and maybe Utah would easily be targets of the Big 12.
This is exactly correct about the Grant of Rights.

Unless the ACC completely dissolves, any school that leaves forfeits their TV revenue to the ACC, regardless of what conference they're in, until 2036. ====2036==== That's still 13 years and that's a boatload of money to give up to jump conferences.

The only other option is to take the ACC to court about the contract and likely lose. I assume it's similar to TX and OU, who considered fighting the contract but in the end will pay to get out of the B12.

Any school leaving is not happening unless the ACC chooses to entirely dissolve. They won't.

Even adding FSU and Clemson would only give the BIG 5 strong programs---osu, michigan, clemson, pa. state and fsu, and let's note that fsu has not been good in recent years.

Even adding FSU and Clemson would only give the BIG 5 strong programs---osu, michigan, clemson, pa. state and fsu, and let's note that fsu has not been good in recent years.

FSU had a pretty decent season last year and have a top 10 recruiting class right now. They’re gaining on it. However, the thought of two BIG 10 teams in the south…just ghastly.

VN Store

Back