Big Time Program?

Saw this Rucker Tweet from yesterday...

-They broke through one huge barrier this season, and they'll break through others in the future. This is a legitimately bigtime program.

With where this program is currently, and the recruiting prospects in the immediate future, is Wes Rucker right? Has the Tennessee program made a sufficient dent in the national scene to be considered 'Big Time' basketball?

2 sweet sixteens and and elite eight in four years is quite literally a "big stage" basketball program.

Bigtime program, yes. Elite program? (UNC, UK, Duke, Mich. St., etc) no.

We're a normal in the tournament now. Not because we win the tournament every year, but because we're an at large every time. We're a regular in the top 25, and always crack into the top 15 at least at one point in the season, and sometimes even the top 10.

We're always a contender in the SEC, and we are able to hang with and take down big time programs. We schedule the best, and we always have a high RPI and still come out with winning records. We're beginning to take some of the high end recruits nationally. We have a coach that can hang with the big boys.

Yeah...I'm going to say that we've became a legitimately big time program. We're not on par with North Carolina or Duke yet, but we getting there. We're definitely a force in NCAA basketball.

I think they are a top 20 program for sure. It's enough for me to consider them big time at this point.

I firmly believe now, that Pearl can get us to a FF (provided he stays with this season's style of basketball).

We've gotten both feet in the door now for sure. Now it just depends on if we build on this or not. We need to get to a final 4 in the next 3 years though. There's plenty of teams who have gone to an elite 8 and never reached the final 4.

I guess I'm just not sure we're seen that way nationally, we did just get a 6 seed dropped on us...

Sure looks big time when they play in the Boling Alley though... no denying that.

TBA is the tomb of doom. Becoming a perennial NCAA tournament team and protecting the house are steps 1 and 2 for becoming a bigtime program.

Just like beating top 25 foes at Neyland is a must for becoming a big time football program once again.

I guess I'm just not sure we're seen that way nationally, we did just get a 6 seed dropped on us...

Sure looks big time when they play in the Boling Alley though... no denying that.

I think nationally, you are probably correct. It might take another year or two performing well on the national stage.

that being said there is no denying we are a top 20 program.

I think any team that played this weekend got a lot of respect nationally. We have a big name already. We just need big games like yesterday to prove that we can play with Izzo and UK, and other elite teams consistently.. and beat them.

It takes about 20 years of success to become an elite program. Look at Mich. State. Izzo has done more in his 16 years than Roy Williams or Coach K in the same time period but they are just now knocking on elite's door.
Mich. State is at the top of the "big-time" program list.

Pearl now has UT on the "big-time" list.

I think any team that played this weekend got a lot of respect nationally. We have a big name already. We just need big games like yesterday to prove that we can play with Izzo and UK, and other elite teams consistently.. and beat them.

Agree with the bolded statement. If we're gonna lose, close losses to elite programs are almost as important as the wins. Getting blown out by UK in the SEC tourney got us that 6 seed.

I agree we are a top 15 team now, just need to get back to controlled chaos next year with these new recruits.

It takes about 20 years of success to become an elite program. Look at Mich. State. Izzo has done more in his 16 years than Roy Williams or Coach K in the same time period but they are just now knocking on elite's door.
Mich. State is at the top of the "big-time" program list.

Pearl now has UT on the "big-time" list.

First off, that's a hell of an avatar.

Secondly, I don't think theres any doubt that Tenn is a top 15 program - but until you get a final four people will always be doubters. Even when you get that Final 4 people will probably say why isn't there a national title game appearance? Then nation title win? Etc. For some people it will never be enough.

I agree with your disagreeing

I have whole-heartedly agreed to disagree. I will spend the rest of today trying to figure out who I am agreeing to disagree with as it makes my head hurt, yet causes me to crave twinkies.

Ever since Bruce has gotten here we have raised eyebrows, overachieved, and been in the top 25 and sweet sixteen consistently. That's the mark of a program on the rise. I hope we can put the cherry on top.

VN Store

Back