Big Time NIL Deal - VQ Podcast

T2P_Priceless

This is huge! Donors and alumni have partnered with a local advertising agency to creat NIL deals. They talk about details, why TN is not behind and allude to several potential deals.

They mention Hendon Hooker, Tillman and a potential big time running back. Could this be Zach Evans?

@butchna, is this part of what you were talking about last week?
The FLIP SIDE of this is the part that burst my bubble. If Swain’s info is solid I’m back up.

Edit: Just one player was never going to get a “burn the servers” comment from me. Total impact of adding MORE talent and IMMEDIATELY solicited that reaction.

New partnership aims at maximizing NIL for Tennessee athletes
“NIL is a game-changer for Tennessee Athletics along with current and future Vol athletes,” said Clawson, Spyre's Co-founder and Vice President of Athlete Marketing. “This program dominates the state from the Tri-Cities to Memphis, and our national fanbase is second-to-none. This collective gives those supporters a simple path to get involved and help Tennessee set the standard for NIL success, not just in the SEC, but nationwide.”

The partnership will simplify the NIL experience of Tennessee's athletes by making those deals safer and "removing unnecessary complexities" in the process, per the release. Opendorse will allow athletes to use its app to manage all aspects of their NIL opportunities, from receiving inquiries, completing contracts, processing payments, preparing tax forms. It also will allow athletes to disclose those deals for compliance purposes.

“NIL might be new to college sports, but we have managed sponsorship and endorsement opportunities for professional athletes for over a decade,” said Baddour, Spyre's Co-founder and sports agent. “We understand the opportunities, but also know the pitfalls. With this knowledge, we’re doing everything in our power to bring the Tennessee family together to deliver meaningful success for our student-athletes. Opendorse has proven to make the athlete’s life easier while making deals more accessible and manageable than ever before.

Baddour added: “We would put our donor base and fan support up against anybody’s. Spyre Sports and Opendorse will be the vessel to bring the Tennessee family together and make Knoxville the top NIL destination in college sports. The harsh reality is in this new era of college athletics is that you either rise to the occasion or you become irrelevant. In partnership with Spyre and Opendorse, Vol Nation and Tennessee will rise.”

4COMMENTS
Spyre's role in the initiative will include securing donor commitments and delivering NIL opportunities for Tennessee's athletes in addition to educational services ranging from tax preparation, branding consultation and LLC advisement.

“The NIL collective model is the new standard for student-athlete support in college sports,” Opendorse CEO Blake Lawrence said. “Just like any new market, leaders quickly emerge – and it’s clear that Spyre Sports Group is a leader in this pack. Our companies have worked together to empower athletes at the professional level for nearly a decade, and I’m proud that we can now partner to support college athletes across genders and sports. Tennessee Athletics and its student-athletes are in good hands.”

The FLIP SIDE of this is the part that burst my bubble. If Swain’s info is solid I’m back up.

Edit: Just one player was never going to get a “burn the servers” comment from me. Total impact of adding MORE talent and IMMEDIATELY solicited that reaction.
What was swains info?

This is huge! Donors and alumni have partnered with a local advertising agency to creat NIL deals. They talk about details, why TN is not behind and allude to several potential deals.

They mention Hendon Hooker, Tillman and a potential big time running back. Could this be Zach Evans?

I’m curious if NIL deals will lead to fewer disciplinary issues for players because they know if they screw up they’ll loose their NIL money.

It would be cool to look at the arrest rate of D1 players before and after NIL at some point in the future

Last edited:

Would've been nice if they had silenced their phone notifications lol

giphy.gif

NIL... *sigh*.

I get it, it's reality. But I'm sad to see this end of an era.

The truth is the genie is out of the bottle now, and College Football is going to effectively be Pro Football Junior moving forward...

* The measure of Tennessee's success on the field will be directly proportional to how much money via NIL (Read: PAY) our athletes make.
* The more money that boosters and other sources pump into NIL, the better the quality players that we can attract.
* But now competition between schools will be driven mostly by money... why would a 5* DB recruit sign with UT when we offer him a $500K/annual NIL deal, when he can make $1M/annually via NIL at Bama or wherever?
* It will all ultimately boil down to which NFL Jr. athletic programs (previously known as "universities") can (effectively) raise the most money to (effectively) disproportionately pay its best players.

Today colleges, tomorrow high schools. Why not.

It's all about $$$.

NIL... *sigh*.

The truth is the genie is out of the bottle now, and College Football is going to effectively be Pro Football Junior moving forward...

* The measure of Tennessee's success on the field will be directly proportional to how much money via NIL (Read: PAY) our athletes make.
* The more money that boosters and other sources pump into NIL, the better the quality players that we can attract.
* But now competition between schools will be driven mostly by money... why would a 5* DB recruit sign with UT when we offer him a $500K/annual NIL deal, when he can make $1M/annually via NIL at Bama or wherever?
* It will all ultimately boil down to which NFL Jr. athletic programs (previously known as "universities") can (effectively) raise the most money to (effectively) disproportionately pay its best players.

It's all about $$$.

Why do you think Oregon, Bama, Oklahoma ST, or Tennessee have ever been great to begin with?

$$$$$

NIL... *sigh*.

It's all about $$$.

well theres still a bunch of 4 star players out there and who knows if we start winning we will get our share of those others too.

Reactions: OrangenSC
NIL... *sigh*.

It's all about $$$.
Free market, college athletes help create billions of dollars of revenue annually. In any other free market system they would get a piece of that pie. Of course this should have happened eventually.

NIL... *sigh*.

It's all about $$$.
I think it's a great opportunity for them to make good money and learn how to save properly so that they can become billionaires

Glad we are stepping up. It is gonna pay off tenfold. This overall is going to keep kids in school and in some cases help study and focus to keep that NIL money. And yes not all will make huge money but nothing wrong with getting enough money to make things comfortable living wise. Also group deals could help some. Like a steakhouse endorsing a O-Line or something like that. Everybody talks about the big deals because they make the headlines. And who is too say someone making big NIL could decide to put some in a general fund for all players. There is a million ways these things could be set up. GBO!

i cant wait to see some details about the fund since they are getting all these huge donors involved many of which have already pitched in. Love to see this.

Reactions: SweetasSoda

I’m hearing from someone who claims they know people in the know and he told me that we will be flipping a big time QB commitment from a certain competitor we play a lot but I’ve never gotten info like that from this person so I have no idea if it’s true or not, nor do I know who his source is so I’d put about 20% stock in it. It’s only that high because I do trust the person who told me and know he likely wouldn’t share unless he believed it but that doesn’t mean his source was credible. If he’s right it’ll be a game changer though. I don’t know if you’re hearing something in that direction or not.

VN Store

Back