Big Ten now playing

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
Breaking news: Decision will come TUESDAY NIGHT as leaked accidentally by Nebraska's president at news conference. Also, Shawn Wade and Wyatt Davis will possibly opt back in.

Breaking news: Decision will come TUESDAY NIGHT as leaked accidentally by Nebraska's president at news conference. Also, Shawn Wade and Wyatt Davis will possibly opt back in.
Not just a decision, but that football is coming back. At least that's how I read it. He said "We're getting ready to announce the Huskers and Big Ten football tonight," as though it is coming back.

Also perhaps something @Lawrence Wright could address, but I wonder how many UCF alumni are fans of UF, FSU, Miami, or some other school and would have to be "pulled away" from pulling for a bigger, more accomplished, and more established program. That seems like a tough sell.

It's kind of like if MTSU or UT Chattanooga became really good at football. I would imagine that a lot of MTSU and UTC alumni (like myself) are Tennessee fans, and probably grew up Tennessee fans (most students at those schools are in-state kids). If UTC became really good at football, moved up to FBS and started making noise, etc., I'd think it was cool I suppose but I would have very little emotional investment in it. And I certainly wouldn't attend or watch UTC games over Tennessee games.

I’m a UF alum who had a family member coaching at UCF not too long ago, and their former AD is a UF alum who I’ve known personally for a long time.

That said, UCF’s recent success and overt “targeting” of UF’s football program for a home-and-home has strained the relationship. And I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing for UCF or their fans. They’ve clearly stepped up in weight class and, for the time being, have surpassed their natural rival USF.

I know several UF alums my age with kids attending UCF. Those kids grew up UF fans and still are.

Generally speaking, UCF fans and alums with no ties to any of the Big Three schools in Florida are all about UCF and no one else. The majority of those same fans have a healthy disdain of all things Gator.

Good analysis. I would be very surprised if Nebraska and the Big 12 haven’t already started preliminary discussions for them to rejoin. The pandemic has exposed huge differences between Nebraska leadership and other schools. It makes sense for them to rejoin their old conference. If that happens, I wonder if the Big 12 tells UCF and USF to forget about joining in the future.
Warren’s brazen disregard and disrespect for them reflected the conference’s imo. They mattered in the Big XII. If they can do something about the Longhorn Network I see a reconciliation.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Good analysis. I would be very surprised if Nebraska and the Big 12 haven’t already started preliminary discussions for them to rejoin. The pandemic has exposed huge differences between Nebraska leadership and other schools. It makes sense for them to rejoin their old conference. If that happens, I wonder if the Big 12 tells UCF and USF to forget about joining in the future.

Be surprised then. The Big 10 would still contractually own Nebraska’s TV rights (either 2nd tier or 3rd tier and below) at this point, which would make them pretty much worthless to the Big 12 at this point.

Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa State, West Virginia, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Baylor would all pretty much have to agree to be like “Hey guys? You know that $37.7 million dollars we all get each year? Let’s each agree to give $3-$5 million of that to Nebraska for the next 2-4 years!”

I’m a UF alum who had a family member coaching at UCF not too long ago, and their former AD is a UF alum who I’ve known personally for a long time.

That said, UCF’s recent success and overt “targeting” of UF’s football program for a home-and-home has strained the relationship. And I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing for UCF or their fans. They’ve clearly stepped up in weight class and, for the time being, have surpassed their natural rival USF.

I know several UF alums my age with kids attending UCF. Those kids grew up UF fans and still are.

Generally speaking, UCF fans and alums with no ties to any of the Big Three schools in Florida are all about UCF and no one else. The majority of those same fans have a healthy disdain of all things Gator.

That national title UCF won in 2017 was quite the feat.

Be surprised then. The Big 10 would still contractually own Nebraska’s TV rights (either 2nd tier or 3rd tier and below) at this point, which would make them pretty much worthless to the Big 12 at this point.

Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa State, West Virginia, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Baylor would all pretty much have to agree to be like “Hey guys? You know that $37.7 million dollars we all get each year? Let’s each agree to give $3-$5 million of that to Nebraska for the next 2-4 years!”
Yeah, Nebraska left and unfortunately for them there's no going back at this point.

I totally get why Nebraska left - given the information they had at the time they made the right decision. It really did look like the Big 12 was going to totally splinter. But Texas ultimately ended up not leaving and they were able to fill in the schools that did leave with West Virginia (another really odd conference fit), TCU, and Baylor. They all ended up with their dates to the dance and it's hard to reverse it at this point.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
Agree with all of this. It's fun to think about Nebraska back in the B12, but there are so many hard feelings over them leaving. Plus they are making 10s of millions more $$ in the B1G annually. Combine that with the academic side, Nebraska isn't leaving.

As far as UCF, huge enrollment and a new market, the Big XII is crazy not to add them. Especially given they threw geography out the window with West Virginia.

They’re a fun add as the “underdog smaller school finally joining the big time” idea, but what they bring financially wasn’t enough to balance out the addition (and likely still isn’t). It would have been a situation of “UCF joins, the amount of money the Big 12 schools are receiving doesn’t really go up nearly enough, and the other Big 12 schools have to all agree to receive millions less of a payout each year so that UCF gets a near-equal share.”

(Enrollment size sort of matters but it also doesn’t really mean nearly as much when getting into TV contracts, especially when you get to the sizes most of these schools already are.)

Reactions: UTwild82
Yeah, Nebraska left and unfortunately for them there's no going back at this point.

I totally get why Nebraska left - given the information they had at the time they made the right decision. It really did look like the Big 12 was going to totally splinter. But Texas ultimately ended up not leaving and they were able to fill in the schools that did leave with West Virginia (another really odd conference fit), TCU, and Baylor. They all ended up with their dates to the dance and it's hard to reverse it at this point.
West Virginia is an odd fit just like Missouri in the SEC. WV should be in the ACC imo.

UM’s president is an idiot and has mishandled the school’s reopening this Fall but I don’t think that will get him fired. Faculty vote means very little. Finances at UM are in good shape compared to a school like Wisconsin and his resistance to fall football has support from you know who.

Pretty amazing how messed up the B1G come out of this whole will they or won't they play fiasco......Hours ago it breaks that Nebraska confirms they'll be an announcement later tonight....minutes later Wisconsin says....

Pretty amazing how messed up the B1G come out of this whole will they or won't they play fiasco......Hours ago it breaks that Nebraska confirms they'll be an announcement later tonight....minutes later Wisconsin says....

Those so called 'leaders' will do whatever it takes to avoid admitting they made a mistake jumping the gun a month ago

So...this guy writes opinion pieces for something called “The Daily Caller.”

And for his confirming source that the vote passed, he’s using an article another writer from the same website wrote yesterday about the Nebraska President’s comments on Monday.

Last edited:
So...this guy writes opinion pieces for something called “The Daily Caller.”

And for his confirming source that the vote passed, he’s using an article another writer for the same website wrote yesterday about the Nebraska President’s comments on Monday.

I don't make the news, I just post it! :p

Reactions: Wireless1
Nebraska official: Big Ten decision later Tuesday

tenor.gif

rSA1Ago.gif

giphy.gif

source.gif

VN Store

Back