Big Orange/Orangemen

hatvol96

At the start of the season, who would have thought UT would be safely in the tournament and Syracuse would be fighting for their lives?

I honestly can't name another member of the Syracuse team, other than McNamara, and that's only because he's been there since the mid 90s.

(tidwell @ Mar 6 said:
I honestly can't name another member of the Syracuse team, other than McNamara, and that's only because he's been there since the mid 90s.
I really thought they would be better than this. Saw them destroy Texas Tech, which turned out to be no great feat, in November. Roberts, Nichols, and the rest of their big guys just never developed.

Syracuse wasnt suppose to be that good, they were thought to have to fight to make the tourney from the state, Syracuse has been down for a while.

(mattvols @ Mar 6 said:
Syracuse wasnt suppose to be that good, they were thought to have to fight to make the tourney from the state, Syracuse has been down for a while.
They won the National Championship in '03.

yeah 2 years ago, with Carmello Anthony, that is totally irrelevant for today. If you followed college basketball you'd know the last two years have been terrible for Syracuse, compared to normal.

(mattvols @ Mar 6 said:
yeah 2 years ago, with Carmello Anthony, that is totally irrelevant for today. If you followed college basketball you'd know the last two years have been terrible for Syracuse, compared to normal.
I follow college basketball far more closely than the likes of you. Syracuse has made the tournament each of the last two years and been competitive in the toughest league in America. If that's falling apart, I wish our football team would do so. You're one of the guys who defends our current oaf of a football coach, who won his national championship in '98. Can we consider that irrelevant?

(mattvols @ Mar 6 said:
The only thing "terrible" about last year for Syracuse was getting upset by Vermont in the tournament. Go to the tourney on a consistent enough basis and you'll end up with one of those on your resume.

they barely made it, this would be like us if we had gone to the music city bowl in football. Yeah we went to a bowl but it was the music city bowl and our W-L record sucked.

(mattvols @ Mar 6 said:
they barely made it, this would be like us if we had gone to the music city bowl in football. Yeah we went to a bowl but it was the music city bowl and our W-L record sucked.
Which year did they barely make it? They were a 4 seed last year. For those of you who are mathematically challenged, that means they were one of the top 16 seeds in the tournament.

(mattvols @ Mar 6 said:
They were in the round of 16 two years ago.

(hatvol96 @ Mar 6 said:
If that's falling apart, I wish our football team would do so.
It was only in 2004 that we were playing for another SEC title, and won the Cotton Bowl......would you say that SU abscence from the NCAA this year would be a disappointment just 3 years removed from their national title? If memory serves, three years after our national title, we were playing in the SEC title game, again, for another shot at a national title....

so using that logic, SU bball not making the NCAA tourney THIS year, is far worse than our football performance since 98. It was only 7 years later that we finally had a losing record and missed out on post season play. While for the cuse, it may be only a meer 3 years after the fact?

so why does the cuse get a break Hat? It's not like we've absolutely sucked out loud for 7 years.... :D

(jakez4ut @ Mar 6 said:
It was only in 2004 that we were playing for another SEC title, and won the Cotton Bowl......would you say that SU abscence from the NCAA this year would be a disappointment just 3 years removed from their national title? If memory serves, three years after our national title, we were playing in the SEC title game, again, for another shot at a national title....

so using that logic, SU bball not making the NCAA tourney THIS year, is far worse than our football performance since 98. It was only 7 years later that we finally had a losing record and missed out on post season play. While for the cuse, it may be only a meer 3 years after the fact?

so why does the cuse get a break Hat? It's not like we've absolutely sucked out loud for 7 years.... :D
I was referencing the '04 and '05 seasons for Syracuse. This year has been a monumental disappointment for the Orangemen. If I were a Syracuse fan I'd be unhappy. But in Boeheim's 25+ years, there have only been a couple of these years. Also, if they win two Big East tournament games, this debate is probably moot because they'll make the tournament.

personally, i think they'll get in...the big east is rude this year, and everybody knows it. and i normally don't like comparing bball to football cause there's so many differences, obviously.

but it just struck me that you gave the cuse a break on an othewise "lackluster" season, but continually get on the football team's case....when in actuality, we just haven't been THAT bad over a long stretch....i know, i know, we went 5-6 last year, and i would agree that there were signs of this coming as far back as 5 years ago, but it just hasn't been all bad.

anyway, have a great day.

(jakez4ut @ Mar 6 said:
personally, i think they'll get in...the big east is rude this year, and everybody knows it. and i normally don't like comparing bball to football cause there's so many differences, obviously.

but it just struck me that you gave the cuse a break on an othewise "lackluster" season, but continually get on the football team's case....when in actuality, we just haven't been THAT bad over a long stretch....i know, i know, we went 5-6 last year, and i would agree that there were signs of this coming as far back as 5 years ago, but it just hasn't been all bad.

anyway, have a great day.
One reason I give Syracuse a "break" is that I'm not a fan. If they win or lose doesn't matter a great deal to me. I tend to be more critical in areas that I care about.

(mattvols @ Mar 6 said:

Didn't they win the Big East Tournament last year? I don't even follow Syracuse basketball and knew that...

(tidwell @ Mar 6 said:
Didn't they win the Big East Tournament last year? I don't even follow Syracuse basketball and knew that...
Excellent point.

(rockytopscott @ Mar 9 said:
Another down year for Syracuse, oh wait they just upset #1 Uconn..
It appears mattvols will have to creatively redefine "down years" to attempt a salvage job on his defense of Fulmer in this thread.

(hatvol96 @ Mar 6 said:
I was referencing the '04 and '05 seasons for Syracuse. This year has been a monumental disappointment for the Orangemen. If I were a Syracuse fan I'd be unhappy. But in Boeheim's 25+ years, there have only been a couple of these years. Also, if they win two Big East tournament games, this debate is probably moot because they'll make the tournament.
Consider this thread moot.

Hatvol, you seem to get really into it. And although it seems you go to the extreme, in the absence of SARGE of late, you definitely fill his void and keep it interesting.

(GVF @ Mar 9 said:
Hatvol, you seem to get really into it. And although it seems you go to the extreme, in the absence of SARGE of late, you definitely fill his void and keep it interesting.
Thank you.

VN Store

Back