"Big Fish" 2012 In-state recruits... who are they?

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Wasn't there some chatter about 2012 being a big year for in-state recruits? :unsure:

If so, can anybody give us a few names to keep an eye on?

I'm not sure it will be as strong as '11 but I have seen the writer for Vandy's Rivals site say he thinks '12 will be "tremendously better." Barton Simmons said the '12 talent in Memphis is "phenomonal." I really don't have a good idea of the big names but here are some guys I think you should watch.

OL Ben Still 6-3 285, Memphis University School- he is the first/only '12 in-state prospect to receive a Vol offer so far according to Scout along with offers from Ole Miss and Memphis. his dad was former Vol captain and All-American Eric Still.

QB Chad Voytik 6-0 185, Cleveland- most likely the top QB in the state. he showed out at the Army combine a couple months ago against alot of '11 top-tier talent. his breakdown is near the bottom: http://tnvarsity.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1038990

ATH Brian Kimbrow 5-9 165, Memphis East- was ranked as the #3 player at the 7on7 camp in April in which the TN team finished 2nd to the MS team. http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1079062

RB Jovon Robinson 5-11 220, Wooddale- ran for just under 1,700 yards and 26 TDs as a sophmore and showed out at the 7on7 camp in April. "Robinson has a stocky build and was an extremely productive running back as a sophomore last season. On Saturday and Sunday, Robinson was dangerous with the ball in his hands as a running back, showing great explosiveness and change of direction. He may have had the bigger impact on defense though where he was a lock-down corner that had a nose for the clutch plays." He ranked 10th among the standouts for this event:http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1079062

WR Nathan Cole 5-11 170, Mitchell- he showed out at the same 7on7 event as the 2 above. "Cole is also in the class of 2012 and is the son of Mitchell High School's head coach. His coach's-son pedigree is evident as Cole was often found directing teammates and coaches as to what he was seeing in the defense. At receiver, Cole is an effortless athlete that seems to do everything with ease. He made some spectacular catches and then turned around on defense and had numerous interceptions on the day."

RB Jaylen Walton 5-7 170, Ridgeway- ran for 335 yards against 6A state champion White Station last year as a soph. he will be at UTs camp this year.

Manassas has a trio of prospects to watch for in '12, namely the mammoth OL Brandon Hill:

"At running back, Omar Williams rushed for 1,600 yards and 17 touchdowns as a 5-9/185 pound sophomore but the player handing him the ball could be the best prospect on the team regardless of class.

Will Redmond plays quarterback at 6-foot-0, 179 pounds for Manassas but he likely projects at either wide receiver or defensive back at the next level. Wherever he ends up, he has tremendous athleticism and good straight-line speed and should continue to develop into a highly recruited prospect.

Finally, Manassas is home to one of the more impressive looking sophomores that you will find anywhere in the country. Brandon Hill currently stands at 6-foot-6, weighs 353 pounds and doesn't look to have bad weight on him. As is often the case with players that get that big that early, Hill is still learning to how to use his body and is still getting coached up on his technique but his potential is through the roof."

These are all I've really read about so far.

TN did have 2 ranked in MaxPreps '12 top 100 after their freshmen years. Brandon Hill and 6-3 WR from Jackson Christian, Drae Bowles.

"The 6-3 Bowles is a threat to score any time he touches the ball. He racked up 467 receiving yards as a ninth grader for the Eagles. He also tied for the team lead in touchdown receptions with seven."

Ben Still is legit blue chip talent. I know a few parents of kids who play football for MUS in Memphis. Still is the real deal and there are others whose names will follow.

UT looking good.

I'm not sure it will be as strong as '11 but I have seen the writer for Vandy's Rivals site say he thinks '12 will be "tremendously better." Barton Simmons said the '12 talent in Memphis is "phenomonal." I really don't have a good idea of the big names but here are some guys I think you should watch.

OL Ben Still 6-3 285, Memphis University School- he is the first/only '12 in-state prospect to receive a Vol offer so far according to Scout along with offers from Ole Miss and Memphis. his dad was former Vol captain and All-American Eric Still.

QB Chad Voytik 6-0 185, Cleveland- most likely the top QB in the state. he showed out at the Army combine a couple months ago against alot of '11 top-tier talent. his breakdown is near the bottom: http://tnvarsity.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1038990

ATH Brian Kimbrow 5-9 165, Memphis East- was ranked as the #3 player at the 7on7 camp in April in which the TN team finished 2nd to the MS team. http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1079062

RB Jovon Robinson 5-11 220, Wooddale- ran for just under 1,700 yards and 26 TDs as a sophmore and showed out at the 7on7 camp in April. "Robinson has a stocky build and was an extremely productive running back as a sophomore last season. On Saturday and Sunday, Robinson was dangerous with the ball in his hands as a running back, showing great explosiveness and change of direction. He may have had the bigger impact on defense though where he was a lock-down corner that had a nose for the clutch plays." He ranked 10th among the standouts for this event:http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1079062

WR Nathan Cole 5-11 170, Mitchell- he showed out at the same 7on7 event as the 2 above. "Cole is also in the class of 2012 and is the son of Mitchell High School's head coach. His coach's-son pedigree is evident as Cole was often found directing teammates and coaches as to what he was seeing in the defense. At receiver, Cole is an effortless athlete that seems to do everything with ease. He made some spectacular catches and then turned around on defense and had numerous interceptions on the day."

RB Jaylen Walton 5-7 170, Ridgeway- ran for 335 yards against 6A state champion White Station last year as a soph. he will be at UTs camp this year.

Manassas has a trio of prospects to watch for in '12, namely the mammoth OL Brandon Hill:

"At running back, Omar Williams rushed for 1,600 yards and 17 touchdowns as a 5-9/185 pound sophomore but the player handing him the ball could be the best prospect on the team regardless of class.

Will Redmond plays quarterback at 6-foot-0, 179 pounds for Manassas but he likely projects at either wide receiver or defensive back at the next level. Wherever he ends up, he has tremendous athleticism and good straight-line speed and should continue to develop into a highly recruited prospect.

Finally, Manassas is home to one of the more impressive looking sophomores that you will find anywhere in the country. Brandon Hill currently stands at 6-foot-6, weighs 353 pounds and doesn't look to have bad weight on him. As is often the case with players that get that big that early, Hill is still learning to how to use his body and is still getting coached up on his technique but his potential is through the roof."

These are all I've really read about so far.

Good stuff.. GO VOLS!!!

not sure about tenn talent in '12 but alabama looks to be very strong and we had a trio of extremely talented kids from the same school attend the orange and white game. another kid from alabama is a huge offensive lineman named flint i believe. our pull in the southeastern states(LA, GA, AL) looks to be much stronger in the future opposed to trying to recruit more nationally like we have been lately. i guess dooley feels we can do well enough in the southeast that we dont have to go far for talent.

Nice breakdown LV. The future looks bright for in state recruiting.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I've known Ben Still and the entire Still family for years. Ben has always been an enormous kid and could not come from a better family. Eric Still was an all time Vol great on the O-line. Ben has been a Tennessee fan his whole life, it would be a huge miss it Tennessee did not land him in 2012. But I have faith in Dooley and his staff!

I've known Ben Still and the entire Still family for years. Ben has always been an enormous kid and could not come from a better family. Eric Still was an all time Vol great on the O-line. Ben has been a Tennessee fan his whole life, it would be a huge miss it Tennessee did not land him in 2012. But I have faith in Dooley and his staff!

That is a HUGE plus that the he has always been a vol fan. :dance2:

VN Store

Back