Big commit! Boom!

Apparently my comments struck a nerve, to say the least. Look... I'm sure this young man is a great kid, student, etc. This process isn't personal. It's all about your skill level and ability to compete at the HIGHEST level in the NCAA which is the SEC! It's a very harsh, critical business. Stars can be deceiving, I get that. However, they are much more of an accurate indicator of future success than not. This commit is ranked in the 900's. I understand that many of you haven't been around as long as I have, but recruiting kids in the 900's aint gonna cut it. Maybe he'll be reevaluated later and that may change. I HOPE he becomes an AA here. Again... it's a business and much of the personal stuff can be left out. I never said one critical thing about the young man's personal makeup. I'm specifically talking about his ability to play football at this level. If you can't differentiate, I hope your not in business for yourself.
We don't differentiate nor do you! Coaches are paid big money to with their EMPLOYMENT on the line. I will give you the benefit of doubt by you breaking down his film for us. Show us where he lacks ability to play at this level. Give us video justification and compare with one of your 5 stars'. Break down our D and show us why he want fit. Post all his 40 times compared to your 5 stars. What camps did he go to? How's his character? Let's see if your a 5 star talent evaluator or just a run of the mill rec league Coach. Teach us something!

Good job with the research. I get your point. How many teams have a legit shot at winning the SEC. 5? Maybe? That's 220 players. But I'd rather UT try and win the SEC again in my lifetime. To do THAT... your players had better be in the Top 250-300. I don't think we know if CJH can evaluate and develop lower rated players yet. Hopefully he can and will. But I do know that he could be a combo of Neyland, Bryant and Rockne, but if he doesn't have better or equal talent, he won't win this league. I can't remember when a football team has done that in the SEC. Ever.
We will sign some players in the top 250-300. But even GA and AL don't sign an entire class of top 250 players. And its not realistic to expect us to recruite as well as those guys right now. Our key to returning to the top of the SEC will be to hit it out of the park on our evaluations. Remains to be seen if that will happen.

Don't get your panties is such a wad. We are ahead of schedule and we will be just fine. nWe will get our share of the "big guys" as our coaches continue to up the skill levels of our recruits, regardless of the the star rank. If you are really that concerned about Our NIL, take out the check book and write a $100,000 check to help offset the A&M Nil program.

Not interested in doing that. I like a guaranteed rate of return.

I certainly hope that our main goal is not to beat Florida which is on the decline.

in the mid-60's UT's longest losing streak was against Ole Miss. We didn't eventually beat them because Dickey built to that, we did it because Dickey built a team to beat Alabama.

Kirby Smart didn't build Georgia to beat Florida, he built it to beat Bama.

Compare our recruiting to the top 5 teams and we're not competitive.

I've said it before, we cannot compete with Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Georgia and Louisiana in a cash war (4 of the 5 being oil money). NIL is going to make college football a "biggest wallet wins" competition.

Yell all you want, it doesn't change the fact that this kid is ranked the #74 ILB by 24/7 and only the 69th best player in Georgia. And people are saying Florida offered him, but look at his schools lists on both 24/7 and Rivals. It's not the teams you expect us to compete against.

I'm not trying to pick on the kid. Maybe he comes here and our hybrid defenses are perfect for him. It's on him now as far as how he develops, but sometimes you just can't overcome talent. Regardless, as I've said before, you can't win even the SEC East with a team dominated by 3 star recruits.
I have just one more comment on this and I am going to shut up and forget all the foolishness that comes out on this site. In my 75 years of life I have watched lots of college football (all teams, not just my Vols). I have seen many 4 and 5 star football players turn out to be total jokes. On the other side of the coin many 3 star players have made it BIG TIME in the NFL................so to all the star gazers, before you start running 3 star players down, the least you can do is wait and see how they perform on the playing field. I had much rather have a 3 star player who is mostly concerned about whipping an opposing player on the line of scrimmage than a 4 or 5 star player that all he is concerned about is getting his name in the paper or on ESPN !!!! I am finished with this and have said enough.

Last edited:
I have just one more comment on this and I am going to shut up and forget all the foolishness that comes out on this site. In my 75 years of life I have watched lots of college football (all teams, not just my Vols). I have seen many 4 and 5 star football players turn out to be total jokes. On the other side of the coin many 3 star players have made it BIG TIME in the NFL................so to all the star gazers, before you start running 3 star players down, the least you can do is wait and see how they perform on the playing field. I had much rather have a 3 star player who is mostly concerned about whipping an opposing player on the line of scrimmage than a 4 or 5 star player that all he is concerned about is getting his name in the paper or on ESPN !!!! I am finished with this and have said enough.

For us older guys, over the history of our time the recruiting projections started out as educated guesses. Now it's a billion dollar industry. There are so many evaluators looking at these kids and they get much more evaluation time with the summer camps so they don't have as many misses. (Trust me, there weren't summer passing leagues in the 70's.) In the 2022 draft 20 of the 32 1st round picks were 4/5 star recruits. It's not a guarantee, but it's pretty good indicator.
And come on, do think there is a single HS recruit that doesn't like to see his name in the paper whether he's a 5 star or 3 star.

For us older guys, over the history of our time the recruiting projections started out as educated guesses. Now it's a billion dollar industry. There are so many evaluators looking at these kids and they get much more evaluation time with the summer camps so they don't have as many misses. (Trust me, there weren't summer passing leagues in the 70's.) In the 2022 draft 20 of the 32 1st round picks were 4/5 star recruits. It's not a guarantee, but it's pretty good indicator.
And come on, do think there is a single HS recruit that doesn't like to see his name in the paper whether he's a 5 star or 3 star.

My wife and I were talking just yesterday about how big an industry college football recruiting has become. Do you remember the source of that "billion-dollar" estimate? I'd like to share it with her. Thanks!

As for the lure of fame: it is fool's gold. Anyone who gets close enough to fame realizes more pain comes from it than benefit. Some HS recruits (Arch Manning, for instance) might already be aware of that, thanks to family circumstances or astute insight.

Generally speaking, though, you are undoubtedly right. And ironically, Reelfoot may have it backward, it may be the 5*s who have a bit of an advantage knowing not to be lured by the siren song.

My wife and I were talking just yesterday about how big an industry college football recruiting has become. Do you remember the source of that "billion-dollar" estimate? I'd like to share it with her. Thanks!

As for the lure of fame: it is fool's gold. Anyone who gets close enough to fame realizes more pain comes from it than benefit. Some HS recruits (Arch Manning, for instance) might already be aware of that, thanks to family circumstances or astute insight.

Generally speaking, though, you are undoubtedly right. And ironically, Reelfoot may have it backward, it may be the 5*s who have a bit of an advantage knowing not to be lured by the siren song.

I don't remember the exact story heading, but it was from College Football/ Recruiting on ESPN +. It made an impression on me because of it talking about some of the old guys that started it all. Remember Jamie Newberg and there was some guy out of Georgia named Forrest something or other Mike Keith was as good as anybody on his radio show back then. He would call recruits and talk to them long before the "hot tub" commitments started. He was really, really good for a local guy.

Can we reserve booms for more "boom worthy" commits. Not bagging this guy specifically, but hes BARELY top 1000 player. Hardly a boom. We are really struggling if we are taking players in the 900's.
Just give him a half boom.

VN Store

Back