BIG 12/SEC Challenge

Lankykong

Let’s hope some SEC teams win today and improve the impression of the conference a bit after an uninspiring non-conference performance.

So far: 2-2
Auburn def Iowa St, 80-76
West VA def Mizzou, 74-51
LSU def Texas, 69-67
Oklahoma def. MSU, 63-62

Upcoming/Current:
  • 4:00 p.m. - Tennessee at Kansas (ESPN)
  • 4:00 p.m. - Oklahoma State at Texas A&M (ESPN U)
  • 4:00 p.m. - TCU at Arkansas (ESPN 2)
  • 6:00 p.m. - Kentucky at Texas Tech (ESPN)
  • 6:00 p.m. - Kansas State at Alabama (ESPN 2)
  • 8:00 p.m. - Baylor at Florida (ESPN)

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax
I hope you are right but most of the match-ups are not favorable. The good SEC schools have to go on the road at good Big12 schools while some of the bad SEC Schools have mismatches at home against Big12 teams.

Here are my picks:
  • 2:00 p.m. - LSU at Texas (ESPN) - LSU
  • 2:00 p.m. - Mississippi State at Oklahoma (ESPN 2) - Oklahoma (this is one of the miss-matches that I am describing, Miss State would beat them at home likely)
  • 4:00 p.m. - Tennessee at Kansas (ESPN) - Kansas
  • 4:00 p.m. - Oklahoma State at Texas A&M (ESPN U) Oklahoma State (another miss-match. Wish we could swap Oklahoma\MSU home and away with this one. Even if A&M wins, it won't help SEC very much while Miss State win over OU would really help SEC)
  • 4:00 p.m. - TCU at Arkansas (ESPN 2) - Arkansas
  • 6:00 p.m. - Kentucky at Texas Tech (ESPN) - Toss-up but going with Kentucky
  • 6:00 p.m. - Kansas State at Alabama (ESPN 2) - Toss-up, Alabama maybe (wish we could saw this one to road and keep Kentucky at home)
  • 8:00 p.m. - Baylor at Florida (ESPN) - Baylor

5-5 is best case. Worse case is 3-7 if we lose both of the toss-ups. Not confident with any of the SEC picks.

I hope you are right but most of the match-ups are not favorable. The good SEC schools have to go on the road at good Big12 schools while some of the bad SEC Schools have mismatches at home against Big12 teams.

Here are my picks:
  • 2:00 p.m. - LSU at Texas (ESPN) - LSU
  • 2:00 p.m. - Mississippi State at Oklahoma (ESPN 2) - Oklahoma (this is one of the miss-matches that I am describing, Miss State would beat them at home likely)
  • 4:00 p.m. - Tennessee at Kansas (ESPN) - Kansas
  • 4:00 p.m. - Oklahoma State at Texas A&M (ESPN U) Oklahoma State (another miss-match. Wish we could swap Oklahoma\MSU home and away with this one. Even if A&M wins, it won't help SEC very much while Miss State win over OU would really help SEC)
  • 4:00 p.m. - TCU at Arkansas (ESPN 2) - Arkansas
  • 6:00 p.m. - Kentucky at Texas Tech (ESPN) - Toss-up but going with Kentucky
  • 6:00 p.m. - Kansas State at Alabama (ESPN 2) - Toss-up, Alabama maybe (wish we could saw this one to road and keep Kentucky at home)
  • 8:00 p.m. - Baylor at Florida (ESPN) - Baylor

5-5 is best case. Worse case is 3-7 if we lose both of the toss-ups. Not confident with any of the SEC picks.
Yeah, I see a split too. At least SEC should enter the 6 PM games with a split because LSU looks pretty decent against Texas, but I haven’t been too impressed with Miss State against Oklahoma.

Yeah, I see a split too. At least SEC should enter the 6 PM games with a split because LSU looks pretty decent against Texas, but I haven’t been too impressed with Miss State against Oklahoma.

Well LSU is choking again. They performed poorly outside of the SEC. Every year, there is a team that just dominates SEC play but plays so bad OOC that they don't make the tourny or get a low seed. Similarly, you have a team that does well OOC but doesn't win a lot in the SEC and has the same result. I wish LSU could play OOC like they played Tennessee.

Miss State choked. They had a chance to beat OU and their offense was terrible. Should have called time out and drew up play.

To me this is much to do about nothing. It’s just a bunch of games the teams just happen to be in different conferences. It’s about matchups. Does not prove one conference is better. But ESPN PROMOS and people like me fall for it, as I’m talking about it.
So they “ESPN” wins.

To me this is much to do about nothing. It’s just a bunch of games the teams just happen to be in different conferences. It’s about matchups. Does not prove one conference is better. But ESPN PROMOS and people like me fall for it, as I’m talking about it.
So they “ESPN” wins.

Partially correct. It helps bubble teams. Oklahoma for example got a boost for beating Miss State. I think it is a great idea for the SEC overall. I just wish the Big12 had more teams so all 14 SEC teams can participate in it.

I am still baffled by LSU losing at home to ETSU by double-digits. Similar to South Carolina losing to 5-9 Stetson after winning @ Virginia.

Frank Martin has been a disappointment since the FF. South Carolina hasn't done anything and it is partially because they keep losing to garbage teams like Stetson that erase their big wins.

LSU pulled it out, MSU lost a close one late. Would have been nice if MSU pulled it out

I am still baffled by LSU losing at home to ETSU by double-digits. Similar to South Carolina losing to 5-9 Stetson after winning @ Virginia.

Frank Martin has been a disappointment since the FF. South Carolina hasn't done anything and it is partially because they keep losing to garbage teams like Stetson that erase their big wins.
The bag man must have missed their weekly payments

VN Store

Back