Big 10+1 Commisioner

I'm going to attempt to debunk this stupidity over Martin and Manning real quick. Of course, since it's a somewhat involved post of longer than three sentences, I expect it to be ignored in favor of a couple of one-liners.

Peyton Manning's ability at every aspect of quarterbacking are peerless. Tee Martin's, particularly in his first three or four games in 1998, were highly suspect. Here's the difference.

WIth Manning, it was easy to put together an enormous offensive playbook centered around passing the ball. Without Manning and with an unproven Martin, it not only was tough, it was impossible to do that. Because of that, the emphasis on offense was more on running the ball with Shawn Bryson leading and Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, and Travis Stephens following. At times, Martin was able to run the option with moderate success (an impossibility with Manning).

What it did was focus on balancing the offense and not allowing a defense to sit back and wait for the pass. This kept opposing defenses on their heels instead of simply being able to drop into a cover 7 any time there was more than 5 yards to go.

Martin's numbers for the first part of 1998 were horrendous. The UT defense was the salvation....-13 rushing yards and 5 turnovers against Florida, and it still took overtime and a long field goal by Jeff Hall (and a couple of opportune drops and a shanked field goal) to win.

Should we blame Manning for putting up 37 points on Florida in 1995, only to watch the defense allow 62? Or to score 29 unanswered points in 1996, but only after Florida was spotted a 35-0 lead after 16 minutes? How on earth can anyone with half a mind for the game blame Manning for those?

I'm going to attempt to debunk this stupidity over Martin and Manning real quick. Of course, since it's a somewhat involved post of longer than three sentences, I expect it to be ignored in favor of a couple of one-liners.

Peyton Manning's ability at every aspect of quarterbacking are peerless. Tee Martin's, particularly in his first three or four games in 1998, were highly suspect. Here's the difference.

WIth Manning, it was easy to put together an enormous offensive playbook centered around passing the ball. Without Manning and with an unproven Martin, it not only was tough, it was impossible to do that. Because of that, the emphasis on offense was more on running the ball with Shawn Bryson leading and Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, and Travis Stephens following. At times, Martin was able to run the option with moderate success (an impossibility with Manning).

What it did was focus on balancing the offense and not allowing a defense to sit back and wait for the pass. This kept opposing defenses on their heels instead of simply being able to drop into a cover 7 any time there was more than 5 yards to go.

Martin's numbers for the first part of 1998 were horrendous. The UT defense was the salvation....-13 rushing yards and 5 turnovers against Florida, and it still took overtime and a long field goal by Jeff Hall (and a couple of opportune drops and a shanked field goal) to win.

Should we blame Manning for putting up 37 points on Florida in 1995, only to watch the defense allow 62? Or to score 29 unanswered points in 1996, but only after Florida was spotted a 35-0 lead after 16 minutes? How on earth can anyone with half a mind for the game blame Manning for those?

There you go realut.

Where was Peyton Manning when the Vols were giving up points. Did they not get to play on offense?

Where was Peyton Manning when the Vols were giving up points.

Same place Charles Woodson was while the front 7 at Michigan was stopping a bunch of offset-I formation offenses in the Little 11....standing by and watching.

I guess Ohio Vol was on the game planning staff.

Regardless of whether or not the playbook was limited, whatever it was, Tee Martin made it work to the tune of an undefeated season and a National Championship. The supporting cast was at most as talented as the 1997 team, it most definitely was not more talented (in terms of positions being filled by '98 NFL Draftees by future NFL players.)

Where was Peyton Manning when the Vols were giving up points. Did they not get to play on offense?

See in sports the offense scores points and the defense stops the opposing team from scoring points.

Considering Peyton was an offensive player he was on the bench when the other team's offense was scoring points.

See in sports the offense scores points and the defense stops the opposing team from scoring points.

Considering Peyton was an offensive player he was on the bench when the other team's offense was scoring points.

But he was also giving the ball right back to Florida without scoring while they rolled off 5 straight touchdowns.

Tvolsfan, I've got to ask . . . What makes you have such strong opinions about football in the mid 90s? According to your profile, you would have been about 6 years old.

I guess Ohio Vol was on the game planning staff.

No, but I know how to game plan for a particular team. Coaching football will do that to you. It also allows me to look at pretty much any given game I may happen to watch and see how well the offense and defense are patterned to the strength of the personnel.

Trust me, there's nothing more irritating than watching players who are well suited for something be forced into something different. It'd be like Nebraska saying "Hey, we've got a lot of quarterbacks who are pretty good athletically, have good handwork and footwork, and can read the front 7 on a defense in no time at all. Why don't we run something where all they have to do is either pass deep or else turn and hand the ball off?"

I personally have a contrarian viewpoint with my coaching. Me putting together an offense in the preseason is focused not only on what will allow us to have success against anyone, but also will give an added boost by making it nearly impossible for another team to adequately game plan for us in less than a week. I actually got that idea from someone who ran the single wing with great success (in 1999, we're talking) for that exact reason.

Tvolsfan, I've got to ask . . . What makes you have such strong opinions about football in the mid 90s? According to your profile, you would have been about 6 years old.

I just don't like people blaming the media for Peyton not winning the award. If Peyton was so god-like, it wouldn't have been such a large margin.

VN Store

Back