Beyond ridiculous - tfr portal

Fullfillmer

This is baseball tfr portal - but it will eventually happen to football as well. Crazy stuff - when entire teams or half of teams enter the
transfer portal - how do you field a team.

Currently in the transfer portal for baseball in the SEC I find.
Missouri - 21 guys
Kentucky - 12 guys
Miss State - 12 guys
Carolina - 11 guys
Florida - 9 guys

This is madness when over half of your team enters or can enter the transfer portal. Thoughts

This is baseball tfr portal - but it will eventually happen to football as well. Crazy stuff - when entire teams or half of teams enter the

Missouri - 21 guys
Kentucky - 12 guys
Miss State - 12 guys
Carolina - 11 guys
Florida - 9 guys

This is madness when over half of your team enters or can enter the transfer portal. Thoughts

The portal will soon be regulated in some fashion, if not, the recruiting side will need to be revamped.

What's going on with Missouri? Good lord.
Missouri was about as bad as you could get last year. Went 15-36 (8-22) and roughly half of their wins were by 2 runs or less so they were lucky to get to 15. At one point I think they had a stretch of losing 16 out of 17 games.

It isn't all on the players. Greedy and exploitative colleges aren't innocent. They feasted on the various means of revenue, denied players personal use of their recognition, could treat players as they saw fit with impunity, publicly and otherwise ruined their chances of a football feature if you question or defied them on any level. Under oppressive circumstances with any group, the process of equilibrium will emerge. It can be sudden or gradual. However, I believe it is usually gradual because people tend to tolerate imbalanced (unfair) conditions for a period of time before finally overtly reacting. I don't like this transfer stuff myself, but it was bound to happen. As a matter of fact, I think the defunct USFL was a procurer of the current transfer portal reality.

In sociology, a system is said to be in social equilibrium when there is a dynamic working balance among its interdependent parts. Each subsystem will adjust to any change in the other subsystems and will continue to do so until an equilibrium is retained. The process of achieving equilibrium will only work if the changes happen slowly, but for rapid changes it would throw the social system into chaos, unless and until a new equilibrium can be reached.

Further Associated Reading; Ioannis D Katerelos and Andreas G Koulouris: Seeking Equilibrium Leads to Chaos

Last edited:
It isn't all on the players. Greedy and exploitative colleges aren't innocent. They feasted on the various means of revenue, denied players personal use of their recognition, could treat players as they saw fit with impunity, publicly and otherwise ruined their chances of a football feature if you question or defied them on any level. Under oppressive circumstances with any group, the process of equilibrium will emerge. It can be sudden or gradual. However, I believe it is usually gradual because people tend to tolerate imbalanced (unfair) conditions for a period of time before finally overtly reacting. I don't like this transfer stuff myself, but it was bound to happen. As a matter of fact, I think the defunct USFL was a procurer of the current transfer portal reality.

In sociology, a system is said to be in social equilibrium when there is a dynamic working balance among its interdependent parts. Each subsystem will adjust to any change in the other subsystems and will continue to do so until an equilibrium is retained. The process of achieving equilibrium will only work if the changes happen slowly, but for rapid changes it would throw the social system into chaos, unless and until a new equilibrium can be reached.

Further Associated Reading; Ioannis D Katerelos and Andreas G Koulouris: Seeking Equilibrium Leads to Chaos

Thanks for the primer Chairman Mao - and to think back in the day when I signed a Loi to attend a school for 4 yrs and to stay and play with my buddies and bleed Orange in a sport that doesn’t generate a lot of revenue- I was unaware how oppressed I was.
Loosing half or a third of your team each year is crazy.

Last edited:
While I understand the heartburn associated with the portal, the bottom line is the following question: Should kids have the ability to choose what school they attend? Pretty simple answer.
I think they did chose the school they wanted to attend. They took a scholarship and signed a LOI. Then they got mad bc they weren’t good enough to start and took their ball and went home.

While I understand the heartburn associated with the portal, the bottom line is the following question: Should kids have the ability to choose what school they attend? Pretty simple answer.
Yes, they should be able to, and I am happy they can. I don't see why people think they should be 100% locked into a program if it is not the right fit for them, archaic thinking I suppose. Those same people will "boom" when a transfer commits to us.
Two big issues are schools losing more players than they can recoup and transfers with no place to land.

Thanks for the primer Chairman Mao - and to think back in the day when I signed a Loi to attend a school for 4 yrs and to stay and play with my buddies and bleed Orange in a sport that doesn’t generate a lot of revenue- I was unaware how oppressed I was.
Loosing half or a third of your team each year is crazy.

Chairman Mao says two things.
1. Your experience doesn't speak for everyone. As not every player comes from the same socio-ethno-economic background.
2. The elite are well aware that there is more than some reality in and so exploit the Orwellian principles of: War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength.
It's quite Machiavellian and historically successful in its aims. Bob Dylan might finally be correct.

Chairman Mao says, "You're welcome. Let me know if I can help you with anything else. By the way, even the Boss (Bruce Springteen) paid tribute the both Dylan and this song.

Last edited:
I think they did chose the school they wanted to attend. They took a scholarship and signed a LOI. Then they got mad bc they weren’t good enough to start and took their ball and went home.

Scholarships are awarded on a yearly basis. As a result, I think it's only fair that the student-athlete is held to their "commitment" on a yearly basis.

Missouri - 21 guys
Kentucky - 12 guys
Miss State - 12 guys
Carolina - 11 guys
Florida - 9 guys

Baseball works a bit different than Football, due to players being able to be drafted and not have to follow through to signing with the MLB team. And the COVID year also allowed for some seniors who weren't drafted, to be able to stay on for an extra year. Missouri had 50+ players on scholarship this past year due to the extra year, and now must trim their roster to get to the 40 scholarship limit. So that's largely why you see such a high amount of Mizzu players exiting via the transfer portal (among other reasons). I don't know the numbers exactly, but I imagine a ton of the players currently in the baseball transfer portal are seniors playing out their extra yr of eligibility. I'd imagine you are less likely to see that in college football due to players having to declare for the draft and not being able to come back if they don't get drafted (which is dumb, imo).

Reactions: KHVol

Schools can cut a scholly at any point if they want to. And we've seen recruits commit to play for a school, and the coaching staff pull the offer close to signing day, leaving the recruit scrambling to find a new school. Coaches also commit to a school, then leave for greener pastures. Why shouldn't student athletes also have that choice?

Schools can cut a scholly at any point if they want to. And we've seen recruits commit to play for a school, and the coaching staff pull the offer close to signing day, leaving the recruit scrambling to find a new school. Coaches also commit to a school, then leave for greener pastures. Why shouldn't student athletes also have that choice?
I didn’t say that, the post I quoted said they could not choose their school. I said I think they did when they signed a scholarship. It’s not like they were drafted. The portal has good and bad parts to it. One bad part is a kid who doesn’t want to compete leaves the school.

*yawn*

I didn’t say that, the post I quoted said they could not choose their school. I said I think they did when they signed a scholarship. It’s not like they were drafted. The portal has good and bad parts to it. One bad part is a kid who doesn’t want to compete leaves the school.

It isn't simply about "competing."

Have you ever worked for company you thought would be a good fit, but it turned out you felt undervalued and you didn't enjoy working there? If so, did you grin and bear it, or did you look for better employment? It's entirely possible you can work your ass off and still not get the recognition you feel you deserve.

Last edited:

Have you ever worked for company you thought would be a good fit, but it turned out you felt undervalued and you didn't enjoy working there? If so, did you grin and bear it, or did you look for better employment?
I fulfilled my contract and left with a 6 month notice. After 10 years.

Have you ever worked for company you thought would be a good fit, but it turned out you felt undervalued and you didn't enjoy working there? If so, did you grin and bear it, or did you look for better employment?
And again I chose the employment. That’s my point. These kids choose the school.

Chairman Mao says two things.
1. Your experience doesn't speak for everyone. As not every player comes from the same socio-ethno-economic background.
2. The elite are well aware that there is more than some reality in and so exploit the Orwellian principles of: War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength.
It's quite Machiavellian and historically successful in its aims. Bob Dylan might finally be correct.

Chairman Mao says, "You're welcome. Let me know if I can help you with anything else. By the way, even the Boss (Bruce Springteen) paid tribute the both Dylan and this song.

Or you could end up with an "Animal Farm" type situation, much like the NBA. No system is perfect, due to human nature. There is no utopia.

Last edited:

Not every year. Once they choose, there should be a disincentive to transfer, like a year off. If kids are free agents every year you have chaos

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Does anyone here honestly believe Brian Maurer didn't work his ass off this spring and fall? Should he have simply accepted the pecking order of things and tried to "compete" his way to playing time above 3 other guys?

If you worked for a company AND a position you didn't enjoy for 10 years, I have to question your sanity.
Things changed in year 10. Again, you are putting words in my statement that don’t exist. Good try though

VN Store

Back