Beware Rumor Starters

To make this hit a little more closer to home, let me suggest a reading of "The System", specifically the chapter involving the Tennessee Orange Pride hostess scandal under Kiffin.

In that book, the impact of Tennessee message board chatter was discussed, along with the consideration of suing some posters on an unnamed vol message board for defamation.

The OP's article, all joking aside, should be used as a cautionary tale. I can safely postulate that it is only a matter of time before someone posting here is sued for something that they said on this message board, in jest or otherwise.

That said, this isn't a discussion of the first amendment, or the malice standard used in public figure defamation cases. Nor is this an indictment of Freak or the mods, who do a great job of getting rid of conversation that tends to cross lines. None of that matters initially, as simply being named as a defendant in a defamation lawsuit could cost you your job due to bad publicity, multiple thousands of dollars just to get the case thrown out, etc. You could win the case but be totally ruined financially and professionally.

Just remember that you aren't as anonymous as you think and nothing ever actually goes away on the internet. Take that for what its worth, and proceed at your own risk.

Last edited:
To make this hit a little more closer to home, let me suggest a reading of "The System", specifically the chapter involving the Tennessee Orange Pride hostess scandal under Kiffin.

In that book, the impact of Tennessee message board chatter was discussed, along with the consideration of suing some posters on an unnamed vol message board for defamation.

The OP's article, all joking aside, should be used as a cautionary tale. I can safely postulate that it is only a matter of time before someone posting here is sued for something that they said on this message board, in jest or otherwise.

That said, this isn't a discussion of the first amendment, or the malice standard used in public figure defamation cases. Nor is this an indictment of Freak or the mods, who do a great job of getting rid of conversation that tends to cross lines. None of that matters initially, as simply being named as a defendant in a defamation lawsuit could cost you your job due to bad publicity, multiple thousands of dollars just to get the case thrown out, etc. You could win the case but be totally ruined financially and professionally.

Just remember that you aren't as anonymous as you think and nothing ever actually goes away on the internet. Take that for what its worth, and proceed at your own risk.

I've taken into consideration what you've said, and with risk of future lawsuits I'll go on record say in, bama sucks, Florida sucks, and lane kiffin is a goober. Those are rumors I've heard, and do my best to spread. (All in fun with your serious post)

thing is the VN rumors turned out to be true this time -------- stats still good

sorry I could post the link due to some Nsfw language in the title but it's on the front page of deadspin right now. Basically some guys on a WMU message board were spreading rumors about the wife of a prominent booster sleeping with the head coach. She is now suing three individuals for 25k each. Watch yourselves rumor peddlers. Mods feel free to move this but I thought it would be appropriate for the football forum rumor mill.

Why didn't you clarify by saying the article had nothing to do with the University of Tennessee or any of its present, future, or past employees. This needs to be on the Western Michigan board...where it might possibly, perhaps, maybe, be newsworthy.

I've taken into consideration what you've said, and with risk of future lawsuits I'll go on record say in, bama sucks, Florida sucks, and lane kiffin is a goober. Those are rumors I've heard, and do my best to spread. (All in fun with your serious post)

:)

I hear ya, though I do get a little worried that sometimes people say things on message boards that they believe they could never be held accountable for, either because they are supposedly "anonymous" or because they are just repeated what they heard, or believe that an opinion is somehow protected. It can be very dangerous, and I don't want to see anyone go down for doing something they believed was harmless.

I need to say this over and over, but I don't see things here, in general, that worry me. I do know that things can get out of hand pretty quickly (remember the AJ rape threads?) and a stupid mistake, or even a repetition of something that one heard from a true insider, could be grounds for getting yanked into court. I'm just begging that my fellow vols be careful.

Last edited:

This is actually very important information that's no joke.

Yahoo used to have chatrooms for discussions on everything under the sun.

Yahoo had to shutdown their chatrooms because there started to be so many lawsuits filed against many posters for defamation.

In political chatrooms it got really nasty and even threats were made to kill people or their family members.

Even people from different countries were tracked down and arrested or a lawsuit filed against them.

Innocent or not a suit filed against you or a statement made and a warrant filed for your arrest can destroy you.

I also advise everyone to be very careful what you say on any message board.

#RiseToTheTop...VFL...GBO!!!

I don't have the link but their was an Arkansas judge that was brought up on charges from an LSU board, I beleive

VN Store

Back