Betting odds suggest Milton is the favorite to start at QB

I’m changing. Joe Milton, Bailey, hooker, Maurer.
Joes arm is too strong I’ll take the mistakes it comes with

According to Joey Halzle, in his interview today, the ability to process the situation quickly is the # 1 attribute they are looking for in their starter. Can't wait to see how it all plays out!

Reactions: JohnnyJava
Depends on which you want more … arm or accuracy.
Yogi says:

Accuracy is 90% mental, and the other half is physical

Yogi_horiz-1024x683.jpg

I don't get the optimism with Milton. He couldn't hold down the Michigan job against the likes of Rutgers, Mich St, and IU. How's he going to do against UF/UGA/Bama?

Reactions: Evergrenevol
I don't care who the starter is because I trust that the folks that know way more than anyone on a message board will pick the 1 that they feel gives us the best chance. I will point out though that Milton is the ONLY QB brought here by the current staff. That's probably enough on its own to put the odds in his favor. Maybe they would have brought Maurer here if not here already, because they did recruit him, but wth knows.

Milton is the only QB brought in by the current staff, but Heupel at other schools did recruit Maurer and Bailey. Also, Milton is the last guy to arrive, He did not get here until after Spring practice and the O&W Game. So he has had the least time to learn and practice Heupel's offense.

I’m sitting here watching tape on these guys and honestly if we are talking hooker or Milton just between them. I want hooker over Milton. Imo miltons big arm will get us into more trouble then success
How can that be your avi and you’re against a big arm?

Agreed !! the more competition at the position the BETTER.

I mean, if you are a UT fan, you want the best QB, regardless of who it is, to be starting right?

I'm not going to feel bad for Milton or Hooker if they transferred here, got an honest shot at competing for the #1 spot, and still got beat out by another QB on the roster. So I'm also not feeling bad for Bailey or Maurer either if they stick around and compete and still can't win the top spot.

That's just the nature of football in a P5 conference.

idk. Volnation has never shown a propensity for selecting starting qb's and we place most of their faith on how they did against high school defenses. Let's just see how it plays out.

I do wonder what the betting line is based on though.

Reactions: whodeycin85
According to Joey Halzle, in his interview today, the ability to process the situation quickly is the # 1 attribute they are looking for in their starter. Can't wait to see how it all plays out!
I heard that also. My take on what he said about all four qbs is that Milton and Hooker are battling it out for 1st with Bailey 3rd, and Mauer 4th. I'm not saying my take is accurate, but when he described the qbs he mentioned that Bailey's biggest area of improvement was mental, understanding what he's seeing, a skill he indicated Milton and Hooker already possessed. He also emphasized the importance of being able to extend plays because going fast will result in chaos. That would not seem to be a natural Bailey forte. He praised Hooker's work ethic effusively. His remarks on Mauer were that he appreciated that Mauer was receptive to coaching and forgeting all of the stuff he was taught by the last staff (a backdoor damning of Weinke, Chaney, and Pruitt, imo). I don't have a favorite and am not pushing an agenda, but I believe that if UT coaches had a depth chart today it would read Milton, Hooker, Bailey, and Mauer. This is the most talented QB room that we've had in a quite a while.

I heard that also. My take on what he said about all four qbs is that Milton and Hooker are battling it out for 1st with Bailey 3rd, and Mauer 4th. I'm not saying my take is accurate, but when he described the qbs he mentioned that Bailey's biggest area of improvement was mental, understanding what he's seeing, a skill he indicated Milton and Hooker already possessed. He also emphasized the importance of being able to extend plays because going fast will result in chaos. That would not seem to be a natural Bailey forte. He praised Hooker's work ethic effusively. His remarks on Mauer were that he appreciated that Mauer was receptive to coaching and forgeting all of the stuff he was taught by the last staff (a backdoor damning of Weinke, Chaney, and Pruitt, imo). I don't have a favorite and am not pushing an agenda, but I believe that if UT coaches had a depth chart today it would read Milton, Hooker, Bailey, and Mauer. This is the most talented QB room that we've had in a quite a while.
Nice take.

We shall see.

Reactions: KptVFL
I don't get the optimism with Milton. He couldn't hold down the Michigan job against the likes of Rutgers, Mich St, and IU. How's he going to do against UF/UGA/Bama?
He wasn't playing by himself now was he?

I guess you'll just have to wait and see like the rest of us...

Reactions: whodeycin85
He wasn't playing by himself now was he?

I guess you'll just have to wait and see like the rest of us...

The word out of Michigan was that he was an awesome practice player but struggled with accuracy and running the offense under the pressure of game situations.

Idk how he'll do. Time will tell. I have no favorite here, just posting my take on it. To be fair, from everything I've read, Milton had a pretty bad thumb injury into the season and could barely grip a ball. Wth knows how this plays out.

Reactions: 37620VOL

VN Store

Back