Best/Worst Times as a Kid

Best: One of the cheap cereals Mom bought when my brother and I were kids had numerical stickers as the "prize." We'd put them on the shells of box turtles (don't see many anymore) that we found in the woods. Our very own tracking device.

Worst: Never saw any of those "tracked" turtles again. Except for one. It was smushed in the road.

Family trip to Myrtle Beach. 12/13 years old. Went out deep enough that I could swim, dive for shells.

Worst: Suddenly, I was wracked by 100 electric shocks. Daddy was nearby and saw me go under. Jellyfish. He pulled me out and they took me straight to a pharmacy. Poured ammonia all over me to neutralize the stings. It boiled off my body.

Best: I didn't let go of the conch shell I'd fished out. Wouldn't go back in the water for a couple of days. But, I hit a hole-in-one at Putt Putt that night!

8th grade. My friend and I had our parents drop us off at the strip mall. Intentions: meet the high school guys with a car.

Best: White Mustang, I would have preferred red.

We drove up to the railroad trestle off Netherland Inn Road. I wasn't even drinking then. But, we walked the tracks until we heard a train coming. We were running. I slipped, fell, and my knee was stuck in the ties. Freaking out. They came back and pulled me loose. Literally, just in time.

Worst: Shredded my jeans (way bf it was cool) and had a nasty abrasion. They stopped the car at a house on the ridge. Lady dressed my wound. She said: I hate living here bc sometimes, when my husband is depressed, he goes up there and lies on the tracks.

Too much information.
I've been to that trestle many times and I had a white mustang in high school. Hmmm

Reactions: Juanita
3rd or 4th grade, cuz we moved after that. Mixed age group of kids living on Kenmore Drive. At dusk, the game was...kick the can.

Best: I was pretty good at it. Usually did not get tagged.

Worst: Tony, a zealot, pushed me down, and I had to wear a wrist splint for a week. Mom was ticked at me. What??

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
@chuckiepoo

OK. One more Texas story. My fiancé (fancy word for soon to be ex) and I were visiting his cousin in Round Rock. Really cool place. Drove to Mexico. Dude picked up a half dozen of those putrefied frogs. He said: They are great gifts. For whom? I should have divorced him before I married him. Sometimes, I get things backwards. Oh, well.

il_fullxfull.2626406308_74cq.jpg

So...I was 18. High school prom at DB. I was not interested bc I didn't have a boyfriend at that point. The dudes all went for the younger chicks. Mom and her friend from church arranged for me to go with friend's son. Oh, hell.

Worst: He couldn't dance.

Best I left early and made it to my best friend's graduation at Central. Party was way better.

I'm amazed you can remember all this stuff. I remember everything, but none of it seems all that interesting by comparison. I guess my problem is I suppressed how I felt about a lot of things. I know somewhere I have a bunch of memories categorized by feeling. I am having a midlife crisis now so I am re-cataloging all this stuff. But I don't think I had very strong feelings about anything past a certain point which was quite early.

VN Store

Back