Best/Worst remaining matchups

Okay, folks, great win today

We are going to be facing the winner of FAU vs FDU

If we win that game, we make it to the elite 8.

I think we are probably likely to face Kentucky in there, what do you guys think?

Go Vols!

Enjoy this huge win!

Marquette

giphy.gif

I still want to f*** up OSU after they came back from down 20+ in 2007.

The best game I remember Greg Oden playing in his only year at Ohio St. Of course he was injured half of the year. As far as the weakest and strongest.... Maybe weakest would be FDU with the smallest line up in college basketball. Then again, they beat Edey and Purdue so there's that. I'd never want to play an Izzo team in the Tournament. Shaka has Marquette playing their best basketball and might take them to their first Final Four since Wade was there. I've not watched FAU ,but they were ranked in the top 25 early this year. Definitely wouldn't want to draw Kentucky. I think a Alabama rematch goes the same way. I know this is a cop-out answer, but I honestly can't say.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I’m honestly kind of worried about this next one. We always seem to get up for the big name teams: Duke, Alabama, Texas, Kansas. But we falter sometimes and play down to the opponent like Colorado, Florida, Vandy, and even our last game against Louisiana
Yes, we DO play up or down to the level of competition.
However, playing in MSG will be a thrill and having ZZ on the bench again in his hometown should help avoid being lackadaisical.

Don't count our next games opponent out.They could shoot 605 from three and the floor or something ridiculous like that.Lets just play well and tough and see what happens.If we get to the elite eight,then we just willscrew all the rest of those teams.

Reactions: Sarms58
We definitely have a shot at making the elite 8 but that’s no guarantee. Either team we face in the first game next week will be capable of beating us. But should we win I’d like to face Kentucky and bea them once this year.

FAU likely wins tomorrow, and that will make 33 wins for them I think. You don’t win 33 games on accident. I am like some others in this thread, I’d almost prefer a tougher “named” opponent in the Sweet 16 because I feel like our guys definitely are more locked in as the hunters and not the hunted.

Exactly this. It’s a lot like the Loyola team that beat us a few years back. If you win that many games, you are for real.

Kam Jones is one of the best guards in the country. They rank in the top five in both assists per game and 2-point field goal percentage. Decent from the outside but nothing special. Kenpom has them as number 6 in offensive efficiency.

Thank you!

Exactly this. It’s a lot like the Loyola team that beat us a few years back. If you win that many games, you are for real.

Yep. And, so many of our fans are now going to look right past this game and chalk it up as a guaranteed win. Is it a very favorable path? Hell yes it is. The best you can ask for. But it’s a Sweet 16 game. FAU is going to come prepared after a week of studying film and will be a very tough fight. Plus, we all know how volatile our own team is. Just look at how we performed against Louisiana.

FAU concerns me more than many other teams. They are deep and give multiple guys minutes. Plenty of scorers. They shoot alot of 3s and have multiple guys that have 35% plus 3 pt percentage. Someone is bound to get hot if others are off. They also have a 7'1 Center to match up inside.

I hope our length and on ball pressure can bother their shooting. But hot shooting teams can really feed off the energy this time of year

Yep. And, so many of our fans are now going to look right past this game and chalk it up as a guaranteed win. Is it a very favorable path? Hell yes it is. The best you can ask for. But it’s a Sweet 16 game. FAU is going to come prepared after a week of studying film and will be a very tough fight. Plus, we all know how volatile our own team is. Just look at how we performed against Louisiana.
And they will press all game long.

I don’t know how or why any program would overlook FAU; they’re 32-3 and 13th in NET rankings. They’re way too good to label a Cinderella.
They probably deserved a 6 or 7 seed. Not the cakewalk it appears to be to some. Certainly nicer than facing a #1 seed though. Praying FDU can do us a solid.

The worst would be UK. They know us well and we know they're gonna get a thousand free throws. Tshibwe will play like a hyper version Uros did today but get called for 2 fouls at most.

Reactions: cwbytruckers
Actually FDU made me some money Wednesday night; took them in Race to 15 vs Texas Southern and won a cool 9 bucks. 😎😄 Lost it all & then some the next night betting on the Vols to cover. Don’t you know I was ridin’ high when we were up 18, cryin’ like a baby a few minutes later. I can live with losin’ a few bucks though, at least we advanced to hammer the Dookers today, life is good. 🏀❤️

Last edited:

VN Store

Back