Best wishes to our NW TN VOLS...

Been watching the Tornado reports this morning and saw the devastation and the death projections in KY, but hope our good friends in Union City and surrounding were spared. Looked it up and Union City is only 35 miles from and appears to be in the track to Mayfield Ky one of the areas I heard prominently mentioned. I have been close to less powerful ones but spared in the past.
Path of that tornado only missed the UT Martin campus by a few miles.

Tornado touched down in Mayfield, Ky. Possibly categorized as an F4.

The damage was pretty horrific.

C79942DB-AA2E-4C98-B0B7-76D3477D6F02.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rootyvol1998
Watching the news reports on it, there is a possibility this particular tornado was on the ground in excess of 225 miles, which is the record for one tornado.

Been watching the Tornado reports this morning and saw the devastation and the death projections in KY, but hope our good friends in Union City and surrounding were spared. Looked it up and Union City is only 35 miles from and appears to be in the track to Mayfield Ky one of the areas I heard prominently mentioned. I have been close to less powerful ones but spared in the past.
The one that destroyed Mayfield ky was on the ground for 240 miles. I live couple hrs from there in northern tn. We got hit in the northern part of the county but no fatalities and just minor injuries here.

We had some damage here but we were all fortunate enough to be spared. Prayers for all of Kentucky and Illinois. Terrible scenes and heartbreaking this time of year. Possibly tens of thousands lives turned upside down so close to Christmas. God comfort all those affected by these tornadoes

The storm passed just NE of Union City last night. My phone was blowing up with alerts all night and sirens going off all night long. Knowing what I know about weather tech, that storm was very suspicious to me.

Helping Kentucky Tornado victims:

-First and foremost, there is a KY State site to assistance you. Team Western Kentucky Tornado Relief Fund

If you prefer to use a charity like myself, and are wary of scams, and the bulk of your money going into the pockets of administrators, the following may help. I spent time revisiting info about the % of donations given to people who need help. And how much administrators are compensated for their services. And whether a charity is tax-exempt, which is another indicator of its validity. To shorten this, I looked at which charities appeared to be the most trustworthy for specifically the KY Tornado victims. In my case, I came to the conclusion that CARE fit the bill, you may reach a different conclusion. Below a shortened list of the sites that may assist you as they did me. I hope some of you find this useful.

-- azcentral
-- charitywatch
-- care (1)
-- care (2)
For (care1) look for the gold bar that specifies Ky Tornado donations.

Reactions: FïreBall

VN Store

Back