Best Way To Use Redshirt Rule

TNHopeful505

So, as I understand it, this year starts a new rule where coaches can play players in up to four (4) games before they "burn" their redshirt. This, of course is different than in the past, where one single snap burns a redshirt. I personally think this is a FANTASTIC change to college football, and is helpful to the team.

So the question to you is, how would you use this? Do you wanna try to use it on games that you need more depth? Or maybe the first four games of the season to see who you wanna continue to play, and then see who you're gonna sit the rest of the season? Or maybe you use it for Charlotte, UTEP, ETSU and Mizzou, Vandy or UK or SCar? Or maybe you wait until the last four games as a "test" to see what they've learned throughout the year?

What are your thoughts about the new rule and how to use it?

I imagine it will vary a bit depending on the situation. This year I would probably hold the guy's you want to redshirt until the last four games. That will give them some time to develop more and allow us to bolster our depth during the stretch run without burning any redshirts. We're even have a cupcake to start that stretch and give them some live game experience before seeing an SEC squad. The new rule could well be of help to us this year if we are thin from injury toward the end if the season.

Reactions: dcm3w
Honestly, nothing is more upsetting to a player (or a fan) than to have a entire season or work wasted on one snap. I like that this gives coaches the chance to pitch a player "Alright, here's the deal. You need to hit the weight room. We aren't gonna through you into this immediately. We're going to give you some snaps in (these games), and we're gonna bring you along slowly. We wanna make sure we are getting the most of your time here at UT." I just think it needed to happen a LONG time ago. And I think that 4 is a perfect amount.

Reactions: Evet Vols
I think there is a limit on how many players can go on road trips, so I would imagine more for home games.

Now do you keep them for the tough games or do you play the players in the cupcake games where they will get more snaps?

Maybe you use a stair step approach such as: 1. cupcake, 2 cupcake, 3 Kentucky, 4 Mizzou.

I think you save them until.the last four games when your roster is likely to have more injury.

Depending on the situation, but I would play them in the toughest games that we have. Playing in hard games would let them know just how hard and why they need to work in the off season.

Hinges on McBride transferring imo. If he does, you don’t play Shrout in the tune-up games because they’re early...and he may be needed.

I think how we take advantage of the new rule will vary from player to player.

-- For some hotshot young studs, we might throw them into the very first game, give them a "sink or swim" experience. Perhaps truly to test them, see if they're ready to play at this level. Perhaps to show them that, as good as they are, they really need some time in a college S&C program before taking the field again. Either way, it's an early test of readiness. That's one way.

-- For others, it can be a reward. Let them play in the game where we travel to their home state, the game their parents are able to attend. Get them into a game after they accomplish something important off-field, something to do with classes or community service.

-- For many, the floodgates will open up at the last three games of the year, and the bowl game. Knowing that their red shirt is safe frees the coaches up to work more lads into the rotation at a position.

This is importaant: we're still going to keep the best players on the field most of every game, the players who maximize our chances of winning each game decisively. The #1 goal is to play winning football. But to the extent it fits while focusing on winning, I could see us using all those approaches with one lad or another.

Most of the players likely to redshirt are depth guys anyway, who may have a chance to start of play in the 2 deep as juniors and seniors. Play them the entire second half in games like Charlotte and ETSU and give them some experience.

It’s all about winning. If the guy earns PT he plays. Can’t let a redshirt keep the guy that needs to be on the field watching from the sidelines.

If circumstances dictate an “emergency” type situation, the players can still get a redshirt.

We have 3 scrub games where we should be able to empty the bench and see how the new guys respond.

There could be a situation where when the lights come on a player could perform better than his practices have shown.

This reminds me of MLB. The National league has to use strategy when it comes to knowing when to pull the starting pitcher for batting purposes.

Reactions: marvin616
What is...Be 3 Deep n 5* & 4* players...and SIT the least ready for a year...

What do I win Trebek??!!
869546_072115-cc-alex-trebek-stache-1984.jpg

Hinges on McBride transferring imo. If he does, you don’t play Shrout in the tune-up games because they’re early...and he may be needed.

I think we’re past the point of McBride transferring during the season. The fact the the qb’s got equal reps yesterday at the scrimmage should lead us to believe that all 4 qb’s are in a good situation. McBride may be the odd man out because of style of play but I think a season with Helton could do wonders for him. As far as the redshirt rule, I think Pruitt and his guys chart out every player. Meaning- separate the guys you know can contribute, then pt the guys who are close but unsure of in another group, then put guys who you know are gonna redshirt in the last
Group. Once you’ve separated the groups, then I think you need to break down the schedule. Pinpoint the stretches of games where you think your gonna need more depth, then take those young guys your more comfortable playing and put them in a possible playing scenario
For those games. Then take our cupcake games and make those guys who probably aren’t ready for big time football and put them in a situation where they know they might play. I think there will be alot
Of strategy with who and when we play certain guys. Some guys are gonna be available for 4 sec games IMO, while the others will see possible playing time in our 3 low level games. I truly believe though that Pruitt is charting this stuff out as we speak, and I think that’s gonna give us a huge advantage as we go through the season. Early season injuries could affect this though. That’s my two cents!

I think we’re past the point of McBride transferring during the season. The fact the the qb’s got equal reps yesterday at the scrimmage should lead us to believe that all 4 qb’s are in a good situation. McBride may be the odd man out because of style of play but I think a season with Helton could do wonders for him. As far as the redshirt rule, I think Pruitt and his guys chart out every player. Meaning- separate the guys you know can contribute, then pt the guys who are close but unsure of in another group, then put guys who you know are gonna redshirt in the last
Group. Once you’ve separated the groups, then I think you need to break down the schedule. Pinpoint the stretches of games where you think your gonna need more depth, then take those young guys your more comfortable playing and put them in a possible playing scenario
For those games. Then take our cupcake games and make those guys who probably aren’t ready for big time football and put them in a situation where they know they might play. I think there will be alot
Of strategy with who and when we play certain guys. Some guys are gonna be available for 4 sec games IMO, while the others will see possible playing time in our 3 low level games. I truly believe though that Pruitt is charting this stuff out as we speak, and I think that’s gonna give us a huge advantage as we go through the season. Early season injuries could affect this though. That’s my two cents!
We’re not “past” him transferring BEFORE the season...because it happens...all the freaking time! Wasn’t declaring it, because it would be better for us if he stayed. What these practices and scrimmages realistically accomplish is to alert you your notch on the totem pole. McBride has a redshirt to play with and an address in the western portion of the state that he was formerly committed to, who’s HC runs the perfect offense for his skills.

We’re not “past” him transferring BEFORE the season...because it happens...all the freaking time! Wasn’t declaring it, because it would be better for us if he stayed.

I hear ya, I agree it would be better if he stayed. People do transfer all the time, your right. I just think if he was going too then he would of already done it. Losing his redshirt last year makes this scenario completely different now imo too. Had he got the redshirt last year then I don’t think we’re talking about this now.

I hear ya, I agree it would be better if he stayed. People do transfer all the time, your right. I just think if he was going too then he would of already done it. Losing his redshirt last year makes this scenario completely different now imo too. Had he got the redshirt last year then I don’t think we’re talking about this now.
Did they retroactively apply his redshirt last season? Because he didn’t “lose” it in any of the events from last season. You have a redshirt until you apply it.

In any event, he’s either a redshirt freshman who would be a redshirt sophomore at his new stop, or a true sophomore who would be a REDSHIRT sophomore...at his new stop. Even more motivation for the move if he doesn’t see a starting jobin the magic 8-ball.

Reactions: TrueVolsGBOInsider
Did they retroactively apply his redshirt last season? Because he didn’t “lose” it in any of the events from last season. You have a redshirt until you apply it.

In any event, he’s either a redshirt freshman who would be a redshirt sophomore at his new stop, or a true sophomore who would be a REDSHIRT sophomore...at his new stop. Even more motivation for the move if he doesn’t see a starting jobin the magic 8-ball.

That should of read not losing his redshirt last year I mean. That’s my bad. Didn’t notice I left that out.

So it didn’t affect anything. IF he transfers, he’s a redshirt sophomore next season.

In terms of what year he would be in no it doesn’t change. My point was, In terms of the Vols, I feel it would have been better for us and McBride had he redshirted last year. Just because he would be less inclined imo to want too transfer now if he had because he would know he still had 4 more years to win the job and develop here in the same program without having to sit out extended time. The fact that he didn’t reshirt kinda forces his hand because if he does transfer now or during the season then he’s gonna be out at least two seasons because they’ll probably redshirt him a year at his new school to extend his eligibility. That would be a long time out of football. Yes Memphis could snag him but I don’t see that happening because Chryst is gone after this year and In less we throw in an offer to another qb besides Maurer then we’re gonna need 4 scholarship qb’s. McBride has to grow some but with the new redshirt rule we gained an advantage because he can definitely play this year and stay involved/engaged in the offense and the team. Time will tell though.

In terms of what year he would be in no it doesn’t change. My point was, In terms of the Vols, I feel it would have been better for us and McBride had he redshirted last year. Just because he would be less inclined imo to want too transfer now if he had because he would know he still had 4 more years to win the job and develop here in the same program without having to sit out extended time. The fact that he didn’t reshirt kinda forces his hand because if he does transfer now or during the season then he’s gonna be out at least two seasons because they’ll probably redshirt him a year at his new school to extend his eligibility. That would be a long time out of football. Yes Memphis could snag him but I don’t see that happening because Chryst is gone after this year and In less we throw in an offer to another qb besides Maurer then we’re gonna need 4 scholarship qb’s. McBride has to grow some but with the new redshirt rule we gained an advantage because he can definitely play this year and stay involved/engaged in the offense and the team. Time will tell though.
Timetable hasn’t changed. Playing last year showed he wouldn’t collapse when facing SEC competition. He doesn’t play and he’s categorized as untested. Unless he won the starting or top backup job, his actual meaningful playing time isn’t immediate. If he transfers, he has to REDSHIRT anyway...for the transfer year. If he transfers to the right situation, he’ll be PLAYING in two years. Side note, if we’re down to our FOURTH QB we’re way past trouble. That’s almost any program.

Edit: You keep throwing in the “during the season” caveat...that’s unnecessary. He’ll have all the information he needs before the season...there’s no benefit to sitting out additional games at a next destination.

What’s the story on how CJP&S are using the redshirt rule so far this season?

I haven’t kept up with any of it. Do we have some guys getting experience tht will still be able to redshirt this year?

What’s the story on how CJP&S are using the redshirt rule so far this season?

I haven’t kept up with any of it. Do we have some guys getting experience tht will still be able to redshirt this year?

hard to know exactly who all has played. We know JJ Peterson hasn't played any this year so far. Possible we will see him towards the end of the season.

However....I must say, when I started this thread, I didn't think about the possibility of guys playing four games and then transferring. That....did not occur to me. It's amazing how with every new rule comes a new way to use it to your disadvantage.

But, did anyone read about Taj Griffin? Transferred from Oregon. This is his senior season. He hadn't redshirted. So, because he had already played, this will be his "redshirt senior" year....but he hasn't graduated. So he wont' be a graduate transfer. Therefore, he'll have to sit out a year unless he goes D2 or lower. So basically, if he transfers, his career is over. Here's the article.

New redshirt rule has its complications, including a potential consequence for undergraduates

VN Store

Back