Best Vol True Freshman Ever

Who is the best Vol true freshman you’ve ever seen play?

Webb, Cobb, and Pickens were redshirt freshmen.

A few great true freshmen:

James Stewart
Aaron Hayden
Jamal Lewis
Jalen Hurd
Keith Davis
Eric Berry
Cam Sutton
Erik Ainge
Peyton Manning
Tyler Bray
Casey Clausen
Trey Smith
Henry TooToo
Cosey Coleman
Daniel Bituli
Justin Hunter

Of those, I have to say Lewis was the best. Berry is close. Of the QBs, Bray was probably the best as a true freshman (if not Clausen), although of course, Manning ended up being the best by far.

Webb, Cobb, and Pickens were redshirt freshmen.

A few great true freshmen:

Stanley Morgan
Larry Seivers
James Stewart
Aaron Hayden
Jamal Lewis
Jalen Hurd
Keith Davis
Eric Berry
Cam Sutton
Erik Ainge
Peyton Manning
Tyler Bray
Casey Clausen
Trey Smith
Henry TooToo
Cosey Coleman
Daniel Bituli
Justin Hunter

Of those, I have to say Lewis was the best. Berry is close. Of the QBs, Bray was probably the best as a true freshman (of not Clausen), although of course, Manning ended up being the best by far.
FYP;)

Should’ve couched my post in terms of “guys I saw play.” I was born in 1977 and freshmen had only been eligible a couple years before then, so I saw most of them. But yeah, there’s about a 10 year window of guys I didn’t see (including Willie Gault and Reggie White...and Lee Otis Burton).

Did Seivers play as a true freshman?

Reactions: Border Vol
Here’s a few that prolly haven’t been mentioned, not the best ever but very good:
1. Robert Meacham
2. Erik Ainge
3. Tobias Harris
4. Da’Rick Rogers

You added the great Larry Seivers to Amsler's list, but Larry only played in one game as a Freshman, and then was red-shirted the following year. He had a pair of the greatest hands in Vol history and had great sophomore thru senior seasons, but he was a non-factor as a freshman.

My Vote.

Casey Clausen. 7-0 as a starter.

121-194 1473 yards 15 TDS
Lewis was better by numbers, but easier as a RB.

This is where is was going with it. If I remember correctly, wasn’t Alabama his first start, and pretty much saved the season, after an ugly first few games with Joey Matthews and AJ Suggs?

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Not even close. Check his stats!

I assumed that the original poster was referring to football players, given that this is a football board. But if we’re including other sports:

Bernard King
Ernie Grunfeld
Allan Houston
Todd Helton
R.A. Dickey
Chamique Holdsclaw
Tamika Catchings
Tobias Harris

Reactions: 1985Vols
Lewis should have been starting from game 1.

Fulmer held him back until after the FL game due to "pass blocking".

Here is a video for the young'ns who don't know what Neyland is capable of sounding like.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back