Best Vol True Freshman Ever

Toss up between Peyton and Jamaal
Assuming this is just football, otherwise Bernard King and no one else is even close.

Peyton really only had half a season. Erik Ainge beat Florida in his 3RD GAME as a Vol. Justin Hunter looked like a Heisman winner in his first few games. Lewis was a beast. Berry was Berry.

But even though he wasn't eligible, I did see Condredge Holloway in a few JV games. He was fantastic, and there is no doubt he would have been the starter if Freshmen had been eligible at the time. So that's who I'm going with.

From the time he enrolled, which was before freshmen were allowed to play varsity ball, Conredge Holloway exhibited the highest combination of skills, athleticism, competitive nature, football IQ, and on-field creativity I've ever witnessed from a freshman. His JV game performance against Notre Dame would still be an ESPN All-Time Classic had it been filmed for broadcast.

Jamal Lewis was a freak of speed and size. But running behind a good O-line, he posted his numbers by hitting the hole and running straight downhill.

Peyton was a self-made player. His only natural athletic attribute was his height. Everything else about his game he developed through hard work--physically and mentally. You could say he kept improving to become the best freshman by the end of his freshman year.

When you think about it, after the neck injury, Peyton was self-made twice in his career.

Last edited:
Just to try to name some others

Wouldn't say best ever but Arian Foster had a great freshman year. Think he had 200 yards against Bama that year. Justin Hunter.

Reactions: memtownvol
Assuming this is just football, otherwise Bernard King and no one else is even close.

Peyton really only had half a season. Erik Ainge beat Florida in his 3RD GAME as a Vol. Justin Hunter looked like a Heisman winner in his first few games. Lewis was a beast. Berry was Berry.

But even though he wasn't eligible, I did see Condredge Holloway in a few JV games. He was fantastic, and there is no doubt he would have been the starter if Freshmen had been eligible at the time. So that's who I'm going with.
I tried to stick with the people I had watched myself, so Bernard King was out for me and yes I did only think football anyway. My choice is actually Lewis but Peyton was a phenom so hard not to mention him as well, probably the best player to come from our program in the modern era...well if you discount Reggie White i guess.

Jamal was dominating his freshman year, but if we are talking any sport then it would be Bernard King.

Reactions: wmcovol
Manning's freshman stats
11 games played. He did not start all 11.
89 completions on 144 attempts (61.8%) for 1141 yards, 11TD/6 interceptions
Minus 26 rushing
Nothing in his stats suggest that he was the best freshman ever.
Jamal Lewis was a man as a freshman.
Manning a skinny little boy.

Arch Manning.

Edit: sorry. wrong year. being from the future is hard. and before anyone asks, 4438 yard season with 46 TDs and just 8 interceptions. Youngest Heisman winner ever. Go Vols.

Sad thing is you'll have people on here who only see the 8 INTs and they'll call for him to be benched or transfer 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Teeboy
Peyton because of the position he played. He was up to speed and prepared when he walked out on the field. He sure didn't look like a true Freshman.
Not the first couple of games. You could even say that Ainge and Clausen had as good a freshman season as Manning. I love Peyton as much as anyone, but he improved by leaps and bounds after that freshman season.

Basketball: Bernard King, Allan Houston, Ernie Grunfeld, Tobias Harris.

Football Clausen, Manning, Lewis, Berry.

Notably King and Grunfeld played without the benefit of a three point shot. Dunking wasn't allowed either except maybe one year.

Overall: Bernard King (Man was a freak of nature)

VN Store

Back