Best Vol team ever? From Marvin

It would be tough to argue against the Ernie and Bernie team. I'd actually have the 1979 team up there too. The greatest basketball teams of all time are all long gone in CBB. Very few players stay and develop any more and really none of the best do. Back then the best players stayed 3 or 4 years.

Great article. Great choices. Although I do think the sting we all still feel about the early exist is overshadowing just how special this season was. Winning the SEC Tournament and finishing the season how we did before that Michigan game…special stuff.

I’m assuming if we had won just one more tournament game, the 2021-2022 team would have made that list.

Great article. Great choices. Although I do think the sting we all still feel about the early exist is overshadowing just how special this season was. Winning the SEC Tournament and finishing the season how we did before that Michigan game…special stuff.

I’m assuming if we had won just one more tournament game, the 2021-2022 team would have made that list.
Just my opinion, but college teams today aren’t as good as the teams prior to the 1&done era due to the rapid turnover of rosters. Teams don’t have the opportunity to grow together as a unit. The GW / Admiral group might be the last we get to watch develop over 3-4 years.

Just my opinion, but college teams today aren’t as good as the teams prior to the 1&done era due to the rapid turnover of rosters. Teams don’t have the opportunity to grow together as a unit. The GW / Admiral group might be the last we get to watch develop over 3-4 years.

I agree completely

Imagine these young guys playing 3 yrs today. It would be awesome and more balanced. 5* guys wouldn’t sign with every blue blood if they’re behind other 5* guys already there.

Watching the SEC with Ga having Wilkins, Auburn with Barkley, Tenn with Ellis, Ala with Bobby Lee Hurt, Ky loaded, LSU with great players….. it was a great league.

Reactions: walkenvol
Marvin West is simply the best sports writer to have ever written for any news paper in the South and probably the Nation. No one is even close. Thanks for your articles. I really forward to reading them. I have been an old Volunteer for 83 years. Again, Thanks.

John Adams could not hold a candle to Tom Siler or Marvin West.

I miss the days when Knoxville was a two newspaper city.

Ben Byrd was a great writer. FM Williams with the Tennessean was great. Strange but Williams, Siler & Byrd were very close to the program & we got better information. Todays media is “shock jock” BS.

Reactions: b-ball fan

VN Store

Back