Best laptop not a MacBook

Seriously, one of the highlights of VN history.

Lol, and to think I didn’t even have toshiba on the radar.

Anyway, I pulled the trigger on the MacBook. I was hoping something would be head and shoulders above it but everything that looked appealing was close to the same price. I know it’s a bit overpriced but I know what I’m getting and it won’t be totally obsolete in a couple years. With Apple TV, iphone, and an iPad it kinda made sense too.

I’m still using the one I bought in 2009. I have to put a potholder under it in the summer when I’m wearing shorts, as the battery pumps out the heat, and I can’t update the OS beyond El Capitan, but otherwise it’s rock solid. Never a crash, never any malware.

I've been using Lenovo laptops over the last few years and they've been great to me. If I needed one right now I'd probably go with a ThinkPad X1 Carbon.

Reactions: kiddiedoc

I have had my Acer for a year now, love it. I've had Dell and HP in the past. Not a fan of Dell products, my experience is they tend to have problems. I suspect they are built a bit on the cheap side. My employer provided Dell laptops and over a 5 year period I had to return 3 to the tech dept for repair/replacement. I traveled a lot so they got plenty of wear and tear, I'm not saying I was easy on them.

I also currently have a new HP 2 in 1 that I really like so far.

Acer Nitro series. Best bang for your buck. I always buy gaming laptops even though I don't game that much anymore. They usually have superior graphics and superior cooling and higher quality motherboards. Hard drives are usually faster too. Typically have more room for expansion of RAM than your everyday laptop.

Most gaming laptops are going to be a premium. But the Acer Nitro series is fantastic for the price range.

Do not buy a Mac. You are paying an exorbitant amount for technology that is typically 2 to 3 generations behind Windows based machines.

I have an Acer Predator and all of the above applies.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
I just hate windows. Every time you turn it on there’s a bunch of pop ups about updating this and that and the constant virus protection stuff. I’ve looked at some of the chromebook’s and it seems like it would be a more appealing OS to me or at least better than Windows. I suppose I’m in denial about being an Apple “person” but it’s hard to drop a grand on something that will be used moderately at best.

So install a distro of Linux! I used Linux as my daily driver for years and never had any issues. You better be willing to work in terminal though, just in case you need some things that aren't part of the OS out of the box. My guess is you could opt for Zorin OS or Linux Mint and be completely happy. If I had it to do in my business, I would put all old people on an easy version of Linux and let them be. They all just check email, look at pictures of their grandkids, and surf the internet mostly so it would be perfect.

I just bought a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 from Staples on clearance for $499. i5 processor, 16gb RAM 512gb SSD, touchscreen, fingerprint reader. That’s $230 off regular price. I felt it was too good to pass on and my HP was 5-6 years old and getting laggy.

Requirements:

- not a Mac
- hates windows

It's like the exact opposite but could still be fun

That's what Ubuntu and Open Office are for. Had an old Compaq desktop that had Windows 7 maybe at the time. got so cluttered and bogged down. I wiped it clean and went with Ubuntu. Solved many, many issues.

Topical. The motherboard on my Inspiron just died. Took it to local shop, ‘sir, this computer is nine years old.’ Heads turned and I could feel the shameful gazes. In a panic, I almost tried to defend myself with the counterpoint that I was wearing socks and underwear twice that old and both still worked fine. We’ll be buying a replacement today.

Topical. The motherboard on my Inspiron just died. Took it to local shop, ‘sir, this computer is nine years old.’ Heads turned and I could feel the shameful gazes. In a panic, I almost tried to defend myself with the counterpoint that I was wearing socks and underwear twice that old and both still worked fine. We’ll be buying a replacement today.
The computer's done for but the underwear is just getting broken in.

Toshiba or MacBook is the way to go. 😁

My dad had a Hyundai computer in the 80s. Came with an amber display monitor. That thing is probably still running Castle Wolfenstein off a floppy drive somewhere out there. They don’t build anything to last anymore.

Nothing wrong with older equipment, but once that mobo goes, its all over.

Did you have Windows 10 installed on it though?

If you did, if you have any technician worth their salt, you can clone it over to the new one, update the drivers, and everything should work fine.

You may have to re-register some programs, but we do this all the time for older systems, and it works like a charm.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Nothing wrong with older equipment, but once that mobo goes, its all over.

Did you have Windows 10 installed on it though?

If you did, if you have any technician worth their salt, you can clone it over to the new one, update the drivers, and everything should work fine.

You may have to re-register some programs, but we do this all the time for older systems, and it works like a charm.
We switched over to a MacBook. The only reason we even need a computer at home is bookkeeping. We work with someone who requires us to use quicken.

VN Store

Back