Best laptop not a MacBook

C-south

I’m in the market for a new laptop and just wondering what other decent options are out there besides a MacBook. I have an old HP one that I rarely use and being a few years old it’s slow and basically unusable. I may still get a MacBook but I hate to drop a grand on something if I can get something comparable a lot cheaper.

I recently got a new Lenovo T590 for work, and it is fantastic, so far. Really solid build, not full of bloatware, great screen and touchpad. Not the cheapest option, but a huge upgrade over the past couple Dells I've had.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

I just hate windows. Every time you turn it on there’s a bunch of pop ups about updating this and that and the constant virus protection stuff. I’ve looked at some of the chromebook’s and it seems like it would be a more appealing OS to me or at least better than Windows. I suppose I’m in denial about being an Apple “person” but it’s hard to drop a grand on something that will be used moderately at best.

Requirements:

- not a Mac
- hates windows

It's like the exact opposite but could still be fun

Lol. I would like to get a Mac but I don’t want to pay Mac money. Yes I’m not a fan of windows. Toshiba is not out of the question.

Lol. I would like to get a Mac but I don’t want to pay Mac money. Yes I’m not a fan of windows. Toshiba is not out of the question.
After using Windows PC's since Windows 3.1, I finally broke down and bought a Macbook Pro. I certainly didn't need it for what I do but I had been using an iPhone for several years and liked the quality and lack of problems of the phone. The thing that I kept reading about the Macbook is you won't need to buy another one for several years as they are well built and Apple keeps them up to date. Like the old saying buy once cry once.

After using Windows PC's since Windows 3.1, I finally broke down and bought a Macbook Pro. I certainly didn't need it for what I do but I had been using an iPhone for several years and liked the quality and lack of problems of the phone. The thing that I kept reading about the Macbook is you won't need to buy another one for several years as they are well built and Apple keeps them up to date. Like the old saying buy once cry once.

You’re probably right. May have to put a new gun on hold and just get some more ammo. Or maybe buy both 😁 Like another old saying goes “can’t take it with ya”.

One thing I like about MacBooks is their trackpads. Apple obviously spent a decent amount of time/money/research into making the trackpads really nice. If I'm at a desk, I usually use a mouse/keyboard, but I like having a great trackpad and all of the built in hand gestures the Mac OS gives you (when I move away from my desk or whatever).

I haven't used windows much in some years now, but I think you might have a few options as far as getting a computer with windows that doesn't always have popups and bloatware.
Take this with a grain of salt as like I said, it's been some years for me, so not sure about this now:
1. There used to be some vendors (IIRC Dell had some options) that sold computers with something called "Microsoft signature edition" that came without a bunch of random apps/programs that are normally pre-installed. Might try to see if this is still around or if there is something similar
2. You could always order your computer with the windows backup/restore DVDs / thumb drive to reinstall windows on your computer when you get it.

If you don't want to pay for a mac, but don't like Windows, you could always install some Linux distro. There are plenty to pick from, but it's probably easiest to pick something like Ubuntu, Mint, etc. (I think there is an old Linux thread here in the pub that you could bump and get more input if you decide to go this route)

Another option (if you haven't thought of it already) is trying to buy a lightly used or refurbished Mac. Not sure how much the price drops, but you might could get a few models old used/refurb for a decent price

Reactions: C-south
One thing I like about MacBooks is their trackpads. Apple obviously spent a decent amount of time/money/research into making the trackpads really nice. If I'm at a desk, I usually use a mouse/keyboard, but I like having a great trackpad and all of the built in hand gestures the Mac OS gives you (when I move away from my desk or whatever).

I haven't used windows much in some years now, but I think you might have a few options as far as getting a computer with windows that doesn't always have popups and bloatware.
Take this with a grain of salt as like I said, it's been some years for me, so not sure about this now:
1. There used to be some vendors (IIRC Dell had some options) that sold computers with something called "Microsoft signature edition" that came without a bunch of random apps/programs that are normally pre-installed. Might try to see if this is still around or if there is something similar
2. You could always order your computer with the windows backup/restore DVDs / thumb drive to reinstall windows on your computer when you get it.

If you don't want to pay for a mac, but don't like Windows, you could always install some Linux distro. There are plenty to pick from, but it's probably easiest to pick something like Ubuntu, Mint, etc. (I think there is an old Linux thread here in the pub that you could bump and get more input if you decide to go this route)

Another option (if you haven't thought of it already) is trying to buy a lightly used or refurbished Mac. Not sure how much the price drops, but you might could get a few models old used/refurb for a decent price

Ok thanks. I’ve looked at some of the refurb stuff but a lot of it is almost as much as buying new. B&H has the early 2020 MacBook Air for $870. Not sure what the difference is between the early 2020 version vs the current one but I assume it can’t be much.

Ok thanks. I’ve looked at some of the refurb stuff but a lot of it is almost as much as buying new. B&H has the early 2020 MacBook Air for $870. Not sure what the difference is between the early 2020 version vs the current one but I assume it can’t be much.
I bought my Macbook from B&H and at the time (2 years ago roughly) they had free shipping and no sales tax. I had it in 2 days as well, I'd buy from them again.
ETA: I think the difference between them might be the processor. Apple announced a few months ago? that the were going to transition to their own microprocessor like they use in the iPhone. Not sure it makes any difference, but I think it allows the macbook to be able to run apps that are available on the phone and tablet. I'm not an Apple geek so take anything I say with a ton of salt.

Last edited:
I bought my Macbook from B&H and at the time (2 years ago roughly) they had free shipping and no sales tax. I had it in 2 days as well, I'd buy from them again.

Yea I’ve dealt with them before. I think it’s still no tax unless you’re in NY and free 2 day.

Acer Nitro series. Best bang for your buck. I always buy gaming laptops even though I don't game that much anymore. They usually have superior graphics and superior cooling and higher quality motherboards. Hard drives are usually faster too. Typically have more room for expansion of RAM than your everyday laptop.

Most gaming laptops are going to be a premium. But the Acer Nitro series is fantastic for the price range.

Do not buy a Mac. You are paying an exorbitant amount for technology that is typically 2 to 3 generations behind Windows based machines.

Reactions: GoDucks349
Yea I’ve dealt with them before. I think it’s still no tax unless you’re in NY and free 2 day.
Sales tax doesn't work like that any more. Out of state vendors without nexus in TN with annual taxable sales greater than $100,000 must collect sales tax for Tennessee. Since BH sells expensive electronics they almost certainly will collect TN sales tax.

VN Store

Back