Best Home Court advantage, TBA not top 16

I don't remember saying it wasn't enough. I'm saying the basketball team hasn't earned national respect yet. Nor do I think they have done enough yet to get it. But like I said we are on our way there.

Having a home court advantage is completely different than being at the top. You may have noticed New Mexico's "The Pit" was on there. If they are near the top of the CBB world then you got me.

But in the past three years we have lost two games at home. Went undefeated last season, and 8-0 at home this season. That's pretty impressive. We have the 4th longest home winning streak in the country.

we've cemented our not so high status over many years.

Vandy is an extremely difficult place for opponents. It's worth several wins per season. That's what I'd call a very strong home court advantage.
I agree BPV. Vandy is a tough place to play.

Having a home court advantage is completely different than being at the top. You may have noticed New Mexico's "The Pit" was on there. If they are near the top of the CBB world then you got me.

But in the past three years we have lost two games at home. Went undefeated last season, and 8-0 at home this season. That's pretty impressive. We have the 4th longest home winning streak in the country.

I did notice, luckily I have the ability to read. No New Mexico is not on the top of the CBB world, however "The Pit" has been known as a tough place to play for a very long time.

In 1999, Sports Illustrated ranked the Pit 13th in a list of the top 20 sports venues of the twentieth century. TBA... not on the list.

The Lobo men's basketball team ranked in the top 10 nationally in total attendance every season from the opening of the Pit in 1966 through the 2000-01 season.

Up until recently TBA was even made fun of by our own fans.

Hate to break it to you, but it takes more than 1 or 2 good seasons to change the perception of TBA.

Vandy definitely deserves to be near the top. I have seen great teams absolutely wilt in that crackerbox against average Commodore teams. Now that they are really good, that place will be extremely tough.

I don't think we really deserve to be on this list until

1) Our students receive more tickets and show up and major noise through out the game. (Indiana and BYU give 44% and 45% of their tickets to student I believe and have the highest percentage in the nation. What do we have? Maybe like 7%?)

2) Then rethink the placement of our student section.

3) Somehow enclose TBA even more to keep the sound close to the court. Particularly the ceiling.

4) Get the seats closer to the court. They really aren't right up on the court like most arenas. As you saw on Cameron Indoor the student were literally able to reach out and touch the player while he was inbounding. Unless you count the few courtside seats... the normal seats are 10+ feet away from the court. Probably doesn't help that TBA is used as a multi-purpose arena so it would be hard to do a lot of these things.

1) Our students receive more tickets and show up and major noise through out the game. (Indiana and BYU give 44% and 45% of their tickets to student I believe and have the highest percentage in the nation. What do we have? Maybe like 7%?)

2) Then rethink the placement of our student section.

3) Somehow enclose TBA even more to keep the sound close to the court. Particularly the ceiling.

4) Get the seats closer to the court. They really aren't right up on the court like most arenas. As you saw on Cameron Indoor the student were literally able to reach out and touch the player while he was inbounding. Unless you count the few courtside seats... the normal seats are 10+ feet away from the court. Probably doesn't help that TBA is used as a multi-purpose arena so it would be hard to do a lot of these things.

I go to IU and we do get the most tickets in the nation, but we really dont have a student section. Theres a couple spots near the court that are only for students, but for the most part we're scattered throughout assembly hall. But since the crowd is about 45% student it does get very loud. I'd much rather have rafters and a student section like at Duke or Florida, but if you want tickets and your a student they're pretty easy to get here since the allotement is so large.

Well they just made the student section even smaller this year, so that doesn't look too promising in the near future.
I would say that us students almost always fill our allotment at the big games. Some of the smaller games are different, especially if they are on a week night. The student section was pretty much completely full by 7:30 at the Ole Miss game the other night, and it should be the same for the Vandy and Ohio State games this week.

VN Store

Back