Best ever onside kick

Indiana fans were dismayed they were not prepared for it but honestly I did not expect it either. I thought we'd kick and play D. It's nice to finally recover one after being tantalizingly close on on so many before this.

Ended up being the play of the game. I agree it was perfectly executed. Took alot of guts making the call to kick it in that situation. I really believe it would be hard to find any good coach to claim kicking an onside with 4 + minutes with all 3 timeouts, down only one score is the right call...

Our coach has some gonads, that's for sure...

Don't know about the rule, but you are taught that if you get the ball, go down and protect it with you Life!!!

Reactions: Evergrenevol
Don’t know if they talked about it on TV, but Indiana’s alignment was screwy on the front line. It was like they were begging to get onside kicked.
They didn’t even have the hands team out. If they did we probably kick it deep.

Did y'all see the post game interview when the female reporter asked CJP what factors came into play when he decided to try the onside kick? In classic CJP fashion, he grinned a little and dead panned "Cause we were one score down". They both starting laughing.

This game should have never come down to that. No TDs in the red zone until late (should have been up around 21-0 at halftime). Two INTs (one a pick 6) that led directly to IU scores. Terrible offsides and other penalties at the worst times to kill our drives. Defensive breakdowns that allow a lower tier QB to scramble for long 1st downs and pass like Joe Montana in key situations. This is the level of play that will get us beat by 30 against good SEC opponents. If the team doesn’t improve dramatically in those areas next season, expect continued blowout losses to UF, UA, and UGA along with a couple of losses to teams that we should beat soundly. You can’t continue to play with fire like that.

However, that was some gutsy play down the stretch by the players and the coaches. A recovery to a season ending 6-game winning streak after such an astronomically pathetic start would never have happened under Butch or Dooley. Gotta acknowledge that fact. Bring in some depth and consistent QB play and we might have something good going. GO VOLS!

I didn't know you couldn't advance the kick. Gray could still be running otherwise, they parted like the Red Sea.

Reactions: Gandalf
And Jennings deserves a statue. That guy is a winner. His absence in the first half (a laughable decision by the SEC Commissioner who would likely never have done that to any other team in the conference before a bowl game) was a major factor in how badly the offense performed out of the gate.

I didn't know you couldn't advance the kick. Gray could still be running otherwise, they parted like the Red Sea.
I think you can advance an onside kick because Ole Miss returned an onside kick for a touchdown in the 1998 Independence Bowl against Texas Tech. Ole Miss returned the onside kick for a 43 yard touchdown.

VN Store

Back