Best Entrance in College Football

Wish we switched up our entrance music. I admit to being more than borderline insane, nonetheless, I like of these candidates.

1. Peter Gunn theme
2. That hair-raising threatening sound from the first Alien movie
3. Jim Dandy to the Rescue
4. Black Betty

Tennessee ranks up there and may be at the top.

For me, to qualify, it has to be a truly school related thing.

So "Enter Sandman" doesn't qualify. It is a song by Metalica and has nothing to do with Virginia Tech.

Tennessee, however, is done with the band playing music associated with the school. While Rocky Top (can't remember if they run through the "T" with Rocky Top or another song) may have been a song made in 1967, it is about the state of Tennessee and is linked so much with the school that more people know of Rocky Top from the University of Tennessee than they do the Osborne Brothers.

It's not some made up, laser light, pyrotechnic, jazzed up deal. It's authentic

Lord forgive me for saying this, but while Florida State does not enter the field this way......Osceola planting the flaming spear at midfield is also up there.

The Seminole entrance is cool, I admit. However, I think they got it wrong. The Native American spear grounding challenge is specific to plains tribes. Possibly the Souix or Crow tribe. Seminoles were Southeastern tribes and, I think, mainly forest dwelling and no horseback riders. So, FSU has it wrong.

4. Black Betty

That darn song references Birmingham, Alabama, and you suggest it be used to defile Neyland. I have words for you, but Freak would ban me for life if posted them.

linus-sally.gif

Tennessee ranks up there and may be at the top.

For me, to qualify, it has to be a truly school related thing.

So "Enter Sandman" doesn't qualify. It is a song by Metalica and has nothing to do with Virginia Tech.

Tennessee, however, is done with the band playing music associated with the school. While Rocky Top (can't remember if they run through the "T" with Rocky Top or another song) may have been a song made in 1967, it is about the state of Tennessee and is linked so much with the school that more people know of Rocky Top from the University of Tennessee than they do the Osborne Brothers.

It's not some made up, laser light, pyrotechnic, jazzed up deal. It's authentic

Lord forgive me for saying this, but while Florida State does not enter the field this way......Osceola planting the flaming spear at midfield is also up there.

Thanks for the admission! In all candor, the best traditions in college football are a little corny and quaint. Running through the T is no exception. The Gator chomp is up there too in terms of traditions.

A laser show to a formulaic Metallica song? That isn't corny or quaint. It's cheesy. Just like VT in general.

For example - VT tried to trademark emphasizing special teams play as 'Beamer Ball'. General Neyland laid that out when Beamer was still pooping his diaper. Like most everything, VT has no tradition of its own. It almost made it tot the top of the mountain, thanks to a very mobile QB and an easy schedule. They were absolutely curb-stomped by FSU, except for a brief period in the 3rd quarter when FSU let up for a bit.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I've been to a Clemson game. Their entrance is incredibly overrated. They boast that it is the most exciting twenty-five seconds of college football or some garbage like that but it is just a bunch of guys slowly powerwalking down a hill.

The Seminole entrance is cool, I admit. However, I think they got it wrong. The Native American spear grounding challenge is specific to plains tribes. Possibly the Souix or Crow tribe. Seminoles were Southeastern tribes and, I think, mainly forest dwelling and no horseback riders. So, FSU has it wrong.
According to FSU itself (link below), horse riding and the use of spears, as well as the garb the rider wears, are all authentic. Here's an excerpt:

FSU said:
The Indian warrior Osceola is depicted riding a horse before FSU football games. Do horses really play a role in the tradition of the real Seminole Indians?
The term "Seminoles" was first applied to the native peoples of Florida in the 18th century. During the 1770s, the naturalist William Bartram traveled extensively throughout Florida and wrote of the people, flora and fauna he observed. Visiting the Seminole town of Cuscowilla, near present-day Gainesville, he wrote of "innumerable droves of cattle . . . herds of sprightly deer, squadrons of beautiful fleet Seminole horses." This early description makes it clear that horses were, in fact, a part of Seminole society of the time.

In modern times, FSU supporter Bill Durham states that, in creating the tandem of Osceola and Renegade in the 1970s, he spoke with Howard Tommie, then chief of the Seminole Tribe of Florida. In a Sept. 17, 1978, article in the Tallahassee Democrat newspaper, Tommie commented that horses were indeed a part of his tribe's tradition. He added that the Seminoles once had many horses, but that the white man stole some and ran others off into the swamps. In addition, Tommie not only approved of FSU's horse and rider concept, but had members of his tribe design authentic Seminole clothing for the rider.
It was interesting to read. I'd always assumed, like you, they got that wrong because who rides horses in swampland? But I guess it's not quite all swampland down there, heh.

(slightly ironic--or maybe just intra-state gamesmanship at play--that they mention the area around Gainesville while talking about an FSU tradition, lol)

Go Vols!
Frequently Asked Questions | Relationship with the Seminole Tribe of Florida | Messages | University Communications

According to FSU itself (link below), horse riding and the use of spears, as well as the garb the rider wears, are all authentic. Here's an excerpt:

It was interesting to read. I'd always assumed, like you, they got that wrong because who rides horses in swampland? But I guess it's not quite all swampland down there, heh.

(slightly ironic--or maybe just intra-state gamesmanship at play--that they mention the area around Gainesville while talking about an FSU tradition, lol)

Go Vols!
Frequently Asked Questions | Relationship with the Seminole Tribe of Florida | Messages | University Communications

Thanks for the information. On further thought, it does make sense they had them. Certainly, east coast settlers and farmers would have them, and some escape into the wild. Or even be stolen. The escaped ones, they or their offspring, end up being domesticated by nearby tribes. I still think the spear planting was specific to the plains tribes rather than forest dwelling tribes. Of course, I could be wrong about that too. I wonder if the east coast Native Americans referred to the horse as the sun dog as did the plains tribes.

You are a horrible person.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Been to a few Clemson games when I lived in the area. As a neutral observer, their entrance is pretty legit coming down that hill.

As a biased observer, you gotta love game day when Neyland gets jacked up during the running of the T.

Top 2 entrances IMO.

I like the FSU better than Clemson.

My wife thought Clemson was cute, so they have that going on.

Weird that the Seminole tribe that oversaw that didn’t know their own traditions 🙄

Touching a rock and running down a hill? Whoopy. I think I did that in soccer practice in high school except we had to run up the hill to get to the rock.

Reactions: govols105

We can’t lose this to VA Tech and Enter Sandman. Go vote and push us over the top.

It's a different type of thrill but watching Ralphie, the Colorodo U buffalo (bison), lead the team out on the field is as entertaining as it gets.

Weird that the Seminole tribe that oversaw that didn’t know their own traditions 🙄

Like lying in wait to ambush, eh? Seen a lot of ambushers over the years and think they're fun and funny. Have a nice game day, assuming we're rooting for the same team.

VN Store

Back