Best DC at UT since Coach Fulmer

• John Chavis

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Justin Wilcox

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • Tim Banks

Votes: 75 60.5%

• Total voters
Chavis was Fulmer's DC and left when Fulmer did. Mine would probably have been Jancek. Firing him and Lawson as S&C is when it went downhill for Butch. I do also really like the current staff so far

Reactions: GlennTenn
Hell, it was probably Bob Shoop based on total body of work, but he was awful at UT because Butch wouldn't let him do his job.

while we are all pleasantly surprised at the outstanding defense this year, voting for Banks as best DC at Tennessee shows what a fickle few we are. It's been 8 games.

One won a NC and has had success at other programs after TN. Although he always had a talented rosters.

Tim Banks is definitely impressed me with getting the most out of an undermanned roster.

Reactions: volunator
Hell, it was probably Bob Shoop based on total body of work, but he was awful at UT because Butch wouldn't let him do his job.
Actually, I came into this thread thinking the same thing.

Then, before posting a response along those lines, I googled old Shoop.

Turns out he is now a defensive analyst for the Miami Hurricanes. Defensive analyst. Not Defensive Coordinator, or defensive position coach. Analyst.

That's what Butch was for a few years down in Alabama. It's what graduate assistants have to be before they get their first shot as an actual coach.

The most recent six years of Shoops' career read like a new coach's career, in reverse:
  • On January 9, 2016, Shoop was announced as the defensive coordinator for the Tennessee Volunteers.
  • On December 10, 2017, Shoop was announced as the defensive coordinator for Mississippi State.
  • On January 20, 2020, Shoop was named the new safeties coach for Michigan.
  • On January 30, 2021, Shoop was hired by Miami to serve as an off-field defensive analyst.

So the shine has totally come off ole Shoop at this point. It's not just that he stunk on Butch's staff. He apparently got further exposed, in one way or another at Miss St and Michigan, to the extent that he now accepts analyst jobs.

Last edited:
Chavis had the best career, easy to say since it is completed.
Wilcox was decent with what he had, but did not replicate his success level while here.
Banks has done a really good job this year. I look forward to seeing what the defense looks like in year 3.

Reactions: feathersax
Thoughts?
I donā€™t have enough data to determine how good Banks will be with all-star talent. From what I have seen so far, BAnks seem like he might be very very good. As mu+h as I like the Chief, he had all the talent one could ask for and often got out scored many times, especially against Florida. Therefore, I could not say he was the best ever. Until Banks has the opportunity to coach more talented recruits, I would have to go with Ken Donahue

Banks has done a great job. Hopefully heā€™ll get more players. I voted for Wilcox cause he did good for 2 yrs.

No Sal Sinseri or Shoup votes?

VN Store

Back