Best and Favorite Basketball Broadcasters

Mine has always been Bill Rafferty.....he called our only elite 8 game against Mich State.

Oh and Gus Johnson on the play by play.

I like Doris Burke, Chris Webber and Jimmy Dykes quite a bit. I love the play by play guy for the Heat (I try to watch Richardson a lot)

Dang those were the good ole days. I remember that khaki colored tartan floor. WOW. Ward was the best . It felt just like you were there. I loved the days of the Ernie and Bernie Show. They were studs!
It did feel just like you were there. Great observation.

Gary Bender and Billy Packer were good on CBS. Enberg and McGuire on NBC were good as well.

I seriously had rather listen to John Ward than any sports broadcaster I can think of. But to me basketball was John's best sport. He could wax eloquent on the simplest parts of the game but those meanders fit the action perfectly. And John rarely missed a player who was in the movement of the ball. Even if he only touched it for a second. I did baseball for a few years many years ago and believe me its not easy...But it appeared easy to John...and there in lies his genius...He laid a foundation for future Vol announcers that is impossible to achieve. And I don't believe I'm being a homer either...

I seriously had rather listen to John Ward than any sports broadcaster I can think of. But to me basketball was John's best sport. He could wax eloquent on the simplest parts of the game but those meanders fit the action perfectly. And John rarely missed a player who was in the movement of the ball. Even if he only touched it for a second. I did baseball for a few years many years ago and believe me its not easy...But it appeared easy to John...and there in lies his genius...He laid a foundation for future Vol announcers that is impossible to achieve. And I don't believe I'm being a homer either...
I agree exactly with what you said. I would also mention that his preparation for a game was something that was impeccable. Never a detail unnoticed, and his desire was to bring a good "product" to radio in a way which created the perfect picture. Just a great human, as well.

Reactions: tennrich1
Definitely Bill Walton, dude just says whatever he wants and it's awesome, makes for entertaining commentary
He had a line the other night, that no one else even mentioned. No maybe i heard him wrong, but im oretty sure he said this. The camera had focused on the cheerleaders, and he said "man those are nice pom-poms"

VN Store

Back