Best American Popular Music Vocalist Ever?

Otis Redding
Nancy Wilson

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dael4sb42nI[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYOdgqoxGGs[/youtube]

Last edited:
I argue that Elvis should not be in this discussion. Not an elite vocalist.

100% correct.

If this was a thread for the most influential musicians, he's a lock for Top 5, and being a Memphian, he's near #1 (just cause I have to say that)

What's that girl's name from the Dick-c Chiks? Yeah...I vote for her. "Go Go USA!"
Posted via VolNation Mobile

But no, in all seriousness, I think it would be Mercury. His vocal range was amazing.

Oops, totally ignored the "American" part. I'd probably say Whitney Houston or maybe even Steven Tyler.

It's cool. I did the exact same thing. I said Mercury by totally skipping the "American" stipulation

I disagree. In music, separating favorite from best is an exercise in futility.

Sam Cooke is my favorite, Whitney Houston is probably the best. It's not that hard. The best vocalist doesn't necessarily make the type of music I want to regularly listen to.

It's an interpretive question that doesn't have one right answer. Whoever you enjoy listening to the most is the right answer ....for you.
Not necessarily. My preference is hard rock/heavy metal and there is no one in that genre that I would even put in this discussion.

Not necessarily. My preference is hard rock/heavy metal and there is no one in that genre that I would even put in this discussion.

That's not what I meant. Crusse doesn't like Mariah's tone. I think it's beautiful cause it's pleasing to my ear. He and I hear her differently. That's what I was trying to say.

I disagree. In music, separating favorite from best is an exercise in futility.

It's not difficult if you're willing to open your mind.

"If you do not like a certain style of music, you can still respect it, value the creative process that produced it, and learn from it."
-David Willoughby

What part is confusing? You can say that you hate Music X, but acknowledge that it's good. I can't stand Led Zeppelin, but it's some of the best rock 'n' roll of all time.

Last edited:
Sam Cooke is my favorite, Whitney Houston is probably the best. It's not that hard. The best vocalist doesn't necessarily make the type of music I want to regularly listen to.

Perhaps it is more superficial than hard. Let me elaborate. I can tell you that Chris Cornell has a great voice. How do I know this? Because I know the general characteristics of what is considered a good voice, and when I listen to Chris Cornell sing, I can identify various characteristics that are consistent with those associated with a good voice.

Fact: I don't like Chris Cornell's voice. I never have.

So if I'm performing an exercise in identifying great voices, I am essentially just running a pattern recognition routine in my brain. I'm listening to music, thinking about what I just heard, and then forming a conclusion based on the analysis/thinking step. But that is completely missing the point. That isn't how music was intended to be consumed unless you're a music critic (and I hate music critics). Music should hit you from the very get go. You're either feeling it, or you're not feeling. The in-between analysis step is, again, something music critics do. I recognize that it's silly.

The lead singer of the yeah yeah yeah's is named Karen O. You may or may not have heard of her. She's a well known singer if you're into that type of music, and nobody would ever accuse of her sucking or being a hack, but I also haven't heard anybody rave on and on about her voice. And, again, I can tell you doing my "objective" analysis that she probably doesn't have what would be widely considered to be a great voice.

Fact: Karen O is my favorite singer. Her voice literally gives me chills...makes my hair stand on end.

So if someone were to ask me: "who is the better vocalist, Karen O or Chris Cornell?", how should I reply?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12TWXYoTQH8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIIxlgcuQRU[/youtube]

Brandon Boyd of Incubus has got some serious talent.
Sinatra. (In the same vein, Michael Buble has a great voice although I'm not sure I want to be associated with him.)

VN Store

Back