Bench play

ColinS

We have seemingly went from a deep team to a team with no depth. Key is not athletic enough for power 5 basketball, UP is just asituational guy who seems to have an attention disorder, Mashack can't get minutes because of his offense, and Aidoo is just struggling right now. How did we get here?

Reactions: tdd and Flovol
You want a shorter rotation this time of year, history says 6.5-7.5 players is what the best teams play in March, the issue as you mention is mainly Key & Plav. They’re our 6 & 7 guys and aren’t bringing much to the table, especially Key, which if we are going to play small ball he’s going to need to prove some productive minutes.

You want a shorter rotation this time of year, history says 6.5-7.5 players is what the best teams play in March, the issue as you mention is mainly Key & Plav. They’re our 6 & 7 guys and aren’t bringing much to the table, especially Key, which if we are going to play small ball he’s going to need to prove some productive minutes.

Even with a shorter rotation you still need quality play from these guys. It's just not there right now.

Reactions: lynnh
Even with a shorter rotation you still need quality play from these guys. It's just not there right now.
One has to wonder if we're really as good as some seem to think? We've had some nice wins, but was that due to us having a one off, great performance or maybe the opponent having "one of those nights"? In short, are we legit or paper tigers? Given our remaining schedule, we won't have to wait long to find out. If this team is really a 1 or 2 seed, they'll have ample opportunity to prove it. Personally, I think we're more of a 4-5 seed than a 1-2 seed team.

One has to wonder if we're really as good as some seem to think? We've had some nice wins, but was that due to us having a one off, great performance or maybe the opponent having "one of those nights"? In short, are we legit or paper tigers? Given our remaining schedule, we won't have to wait long to find out. If this team is really a 1 or 2 seed, they'll have ample opportunity to prove it. Personally, I think we're more of a 4-5 seed than a 1-2 seed team.
USC, Kansas & Maryland all on neutral courts isn’t a fluke to me, then add in Texas at home so 4 really impressive wins, and then 4 losses overall to go with those, that to me just screams more inconsistency than being paper tiger. I don’t think you get to being a 1 seed and #1 on kenpom in February by being a paper tiger, now we may not be Top 3 team, but I also don’t think we are a borderline unranked team as you’re suggesting either.

So what you are saying is that when Key and likely other non starters are on the court we need another1/2 player to compete at a winning level? ;)

Assuming the team doesn't go into the same panicked funk that some of the fans have entered, this team will end up a 1 or 2 seed in the NCAAT. As gut wrenchingly miserable as last night was, it was a trap game against a good defensive team on their floor. If the Vols play like last night against Auburn, I'll start hand wringing. Go Vols!

With the exception of Kansas and Texas, this team hasn’t played many top 25 teams. We will see what we are made of starting this Saturday Vs Auburn. While I haven’t seen many of their games, Pearl usually has athletic players who can slash towards the basket and finish. Bama will be an interesting game as their freshman from Nashville is a beast and top three Lottery pick.

Give Uros minutes to Tobe. He produces in his limited minutes.
So you think Tobe would have faired better against Castleton? IIRC, Tobe picked up 2 fouls in about 90 seconds last night - not the kind of production that demands more minutes ATM. He’s young and growing so big things in years ahead if he continues on the trajectory we’ve seen this season!

It's funny how the "experts" constantly harp on "how deep" this team is, when ACTUALLY, it's not deep at all. Period. There are roughly 3-4 guys on this team that score ALL the points. That's NOT depth. Defensively? Maybe. Offensively? No way in Hell.

Tobe was a non-factor last night. He is somewhat slow (as is Plav). We just have no defense for a quick footed 4 or 5. Hence, Ky will most likely roast us.

So you think Tobe would have faired better against Castleton? IIRC, Tobe picked up 2 fouls in about 90 seconds last night - not the kind of production that demands more minutes ATM. He’s young and growing so big things in years ahead if he continues on the trajectory we’ve seen this season!
You seem to forget UP did the same.

I think we are good just not #2 good.

It's funny how the "experts" constantly harp on "how deep" this team is, when ACTUALLY, it's not deep at all. Period. There are roughly 3-4 guys on this team that score ALL the points. That's NOT depth. Defensively? Maybe. Offensively? No way in Hell.

We have 6 players who average 8+ points, and none of them average more than 12.2. We have 6 players who average 4+ rebounds. Facts are difficult.

I think we lose 2-3 more and fall to a 3 seed.

Nah, I have to gently challenge that. I’ve seen us lose too many times in the postseason because we didn’t have quality depth. With a rotation of only seven, our key guys were worn out by the time the tourney started. Think how the season ended when Grant W. and Admiral just didn’t have the legs when it mattered the most. I believe that you need a rotation of eight-nine to have any chance of making a tourney run. I believe you build depth by playing 8-9 from the pre-season onwards. Not sure which 8 or 9 I’d pick or if we even have much quality depth on the bench. With a shallow rotation, your key guys’ legs are just not fresh enough. Just my opinion.

Nah, I have to gently challenge that. I’ve seen us lose too many times in the postseason because we didn’t have quality depth. With a rotation of only seven, our key guys were worn out by the time the tourney started. Think how the season ended when Grant W. and Admiral just didn’t have the legs when it mattered the most. I believe that you need a rotation of eight-nine to have any chance of making a tourney run. I believe you build depth by playing 8-9 from the pre-season onwards. Not sure which 8 or 9 I’d pick or if we even have much quality depth on the bench. With a shallow rotation, your key guys’ legs are just not fresh enough. Just my opinion.
We’ve played 10 all year, the point is about in tough games or as you head into the tourney…nobody is saying play just 6-7 in a 20 point win. And that grant & admiral team didn’t lose because they were tired, there’s literally no evidence of that.

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
We have 6 players who average 8+ points, and none of them average more than 12.2. We have 6 players who average 4+ rebounds. Facts are difficult.
Great. Consistency is the key. Do you know that Awaka has more points in the last 3 games than JJJ??? But I'm SURE that JJJ averages more, right? Realizing what really matters is difficult. BTW... I wonder what those averages would be if you took the scrub teams on the schedule out of the equation. You gotta show up every game and beside ZZ, we havent had that guy even with all that "depth".

Barnes has shifted to playing his top offensive 5 players at the start. This is great until you make a couple replacements such as Key, Mashack and Uros. Those 3 together will really struggle plus make it tougher for the 2 starters left out to score. Key has gotten considerably worse not starting.

Someone asked Red Auerbach why he always had a great “6th man”. He said “i intentionally don’t start my 5 best cause I want my team to get better when I make my first sub & at the same time my opponent weakens when they make theirs”.

VN Store

Back