Being a Tennessee fan can be draining lol

volbound1700

So many epic post season/critical game collapses

South Carolina and Georgia 2022 in Football

Notre Dame Super Regionals lost in Baseball

Softball CWS against Arizona with Monica Abbott

Multiple College Basketball Marches

Seems like we have a hard time winning at the highest level unlike other programs in the SEC: (Alabama football for example).

Still Go Vols and hopefully we learn from this loss and make noise next week.

The athletes continually change, but the coaches remain constant. I'll stick to the constants for source of (epic) let downs. We get our invitations to the dances, but can't quite do that final lift like they did in Dirty Dancing.

There are 360 some odd D1 schools.

359 of them will not win the national title.

The older I get, the less of a “title or bust” guy I become. Reality is, you can have all the pieces in place, but you’re going to need a lot of luck to be that one team.

I had a ton of fun watching this team this year. DK is an instant Vol legend even though we only got him one year.

That will not change no matter what does or does not happen the next 1-3 weeks.

The older I get, the less of a “title or bust” guy I become. Reality is, you can have all the pieces in place, but you’re going to need a lot of luck to be that one team.

I had a ton of fun watching this team this year. DK is an instant Vol legend even though we only got him one year.

Good post. I think the REAL culprit is football where we have seen Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, and LSU all taken home the trophy (or more than one with all of them not named Auburn) while we have done nothing in the modern era.

Seems like we have a hard time winning at the highest level unlike other programs in the SEC: (Alabama football for example).

For total college sports we're one of the best regular season teams in the country but it does seem like we always seem to find a way to blow it in the post-season. Very frustrating

There is nothing to learn really. This is basketball, you have to put the ball in the basket. There is no excuse for the SEC champs to go 0-15 to open the game. They don't have to shoot the lights out but they do have to make a few shots at least. Today the missed shots led to countless runouts by MSU and prevented us from setting up and playing defense. You have to hit shots, no way to sugar coat it. Shoot better or go home.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
For total college sports we're one of the best regular season teams in the country but it does seem like we always seem to find a way to blow it in the post-season. Very frustrating
Somebody has to lose , so it's not a disgrace to be beaten by a better or more prepared opponent. It's just the epic collapses that punch you in the gut too often.

Reactions: VollerNbham

Thank you for being one of the most intelligent posters on this site. Your thoughts are my sentiments exactly. These group of guys I’ve been so much fun to watch. Yes, I was disappointed today, but I will be cheering these guys on as well as the coaches Until the final buzzer sounds. Whether it’s a win or a loss.

This may be just the kick in the butt we needed. I honestly feel better about our chances to make a deep run in the tourney now than I would have if we won or reached the finals of the SEC tournament.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
It’s a chore and can be “taxing” for sure. We could possibly be feeling like KY fans now when they dropped some games this year, but have appeared to bounce back now when the Lexington “lunatic” fans were throwing in the towel
This game will mean nothing if we can learn and bounce back and play in the tournament like we are capable.
We need to come out pissed off with something to prove!!

BVS is real. I'm sure fans of other teams feel the same way. Man, it seems we sure have a way of crashing & burning when the table is set for us.
Amen brother, I am so tired of the let downs. You can't win consistently w/one real shooter and 2 seniors that are so unsure that they shy away from shooting.

We have some epic wins in recent years, maybe we can enjoy the positives? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Didn't we just win the damn SEC Men's Basketball Regular Season Championship? You make a point of bringing up the loss to Notre Dame in the baseball Super Regionals two years ago ... but then make no mention of the fact that Tony Vitello has taken us to the CWS in 2 of the last 3 years. You are straining to be negative. If you want to be miserable that's fine .... You should be a Vanderbilt fan, though. Things at Tennessee are really not as bad as you are suggesting.

Only one team can win a championship but the flame outs when we are favorites is a bitter 💊 to swallow.

This may be just the kick in the butt we needed. I honestly feel better about our chances to make a deep run in the tourney now than I would have if we won or reached the finals of the SEC tournament.
Not aimed at you specifically, but more this idea that's been peddled around here since about 3pm. I know it's the comforting reaction to getting our teeth kicked in, but why do we need a kick in the butt? Was the UK game at home on senior day not enough of a kick in the butt? Why does a team starting 2 juniors and 3 seniors (5th-year seniors, at that) need to be coaxed and motivated to put forth their best effort in March?

Only one team can win a championship but the flame outs when we are favorites is a bitter 💊 to swallow.
Is losing in the SEC Tournament really such a big deal though, when you just won the SEC Regular Season Championship? Was it a big deal when we won the SEC Tournament 2 years ago? It must not have been ... it sure has been quickly forgotten about.

One thing I've always noticed about this place .... the "big games" are only the ones we lose.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
NCAA basketball is a tournament sport and regrettably Rick Barnes is not wired to be a tournament coach where you have to defeat the opposing team on the floor to advance or your tournament competition is over. It takes an edge, it takes focus and intensity, perhaps even a darker side to intend and expect to defeat your competition at all costs.

Tennessee basketball is in a better place than it has been in a long time, but Barnes is not a gamer when it comes tournament time, yes he won the SEC tournament title two years ago against A&M after pulling a rabbit out of the hat against Kentucky in the semis, but immediately flamed out against an 11 seed Michigan team that fired their coach today, Barnes has a ceiling on what he can do post season conference and NCAA tournament time. The scoring droughts, the lack of an inside game shown in losses to Kansas, Purdue and North Carolina and the inexplicable breakdowns along the way spell exit in any tournament play.

Perhaps most galling of it all is Mississippi State runs their basketball program on a fraction of the resources, facilities, NIL dollars, riches and refinements that Tennessee is blessed with, yet their desire to win and win at all costs was well beyond anything the Tennessee operation could assemble today.

Is losing in the SEC Tournament really such a big deal though, when you just won the SEC Regular Season Championship? Was it a big deal when we won the SEC Tournament 2 years ago? It must not have been ... it sure has been quickly forgotten about.

One thing I've always noticed about this place .... the "big games" are only the ones we lose.
The “911” seems to be not so much losing, but getting our asses kicked all the way back to Knoxville. That draws concerns

Reactions: OrangeInKy
Not aimed at you specifically, but more this idea that's been peddled around here since about 3pm. I know it's the comforting reaction to getting our teeth kicked in, but why do we need a kick in the butt? Was the UK game at home on senior day not enough of a kick in the butt? Why does a team starting 2 juniors and 3 seniors (5th-year seniors, at that) need to be coaxed and motivated to put forth their best effort in March?
Make no mistake this team has real weaknesses. Tennessee has two starters, who play heavy minutes, that can't make open shots and aren't a threat score. Vescovi and James were a liability today when we had the ball.

Reactions: TartanTurff
NCAA basketball is a tournament sport and regrettably Rick Barnes is not wired to be a tournament coach where you have to defeat the opposing team on the floor to advance or your tournament competition is over. It takes an edge, it takes focus and intensity, perhaps even a darker side to intend and expect to defeat your competition at all costs.

Tennessee basketball is in a better place than it has been in a long time, but Barnes is not a gamer when it comes tournament time, yes he won the SEC tournament title two years ago against A&M after pulling a rabbit out of the hat against Kentucky in the semis, but immediately flamed out against an 11 seed Michigan team that fired their coach today, Barnes has a ceiling on what he can do post season conference and NCAA tournament time. The scoring droughts, the lack of an inside game shown in losses to Kansas, Purdue and North Carolina and the inexplicable breakdowns along the way spell exit in any tournament play.

Perhaps most galling of it all is Mississippi State runs their basketball program on a fraction of the resources, facilities, NIL dollars, riches and refinements that Tennessee is blessed with, yet their desire to win and win at all costs was well beyond anything the Tennessee operation could assemble today.

You just want to use one season for his success in the conference tournament? He made the SECT finals in 2018 and lost a tight game to UK. He beat UK in the 2019 SECT and lost in the finals to Auburn. So, no, it wasn’t pulling a rabbit out of his hat against UK in 2022 when he has a winning record against UK.

The great lengths that some of you go to support your narrative. Oh yea, in each of those tournament runs to the finals, guess who he beat every year in the first game? That’s right, Mississippi State- the same team you say that “doesn’t have the resources.” I think he’s like 10-3 against them. Facts don’t support the narrative. Pick something else.

In my opinion, its not necessarily that we lose but rather how we lose. We just won the regular season SEC championship. However, the last two games the boys could not hit water if they fell out of a boat. That is maddening when you look at the talent on this team. Stirs up concerns going into the tournament where we have routinely under performed.

Same could be said for the Notre Dame loss in baseball. That TN team was as talented as we have ever had in TN baseball history but seem to find a way to come up short.

VN Store

Back