Beer (and beer pics!)

John's Grocery, Inc.

Went here on Friday night. Gonna have to go back many, many times in the future. I'm talking trips to Iowa City just to get beer. Watch the tour, pretty neat place.

Bent River's Jingle Java was tapped yesterday. I rode 107 miles on Sunday and every 4 miles equates roughly to 1 beer. 107/4 = 26.75. Pints are on special tonight at Bent River for $2.50/ea. If I were to drink back all of the calories I burned on Sunday, I'd spend about $66+tip and be extremely drunk (8.5%AbV, I think). Math class finally comes in handy!

Reactions: 1 person
My stomach is reeling from just 4 beers last night. I was pretty buzzed. Enough so that I was able to ride my bike up the ultra steep and long hill that I normally just walk up on the way home.

Someone suggested the Schlafly "T" IPA. Tried it last night and was NOT a fan. Seemed to have too much lemon for my tastes and I was ok with Stone 16th, if that tells you anything.

Edit: My wife agreed with me on that beer but beeradvocate does not, describing flavors I did not taste. Appears that I had a bad bottle.

I will be taking Friday off and helping set up. My hope is to get the volunteering done before the warmer so I can then enjoy it. Going to be awesome. You coming up?

I will be taking Friday off and helping set up. My hope is to get the volunteering done before the warmer so I can then enjoy it. Going to be awesome. You coming up?
Yup, four of us. Two have backed out so i have 2 tickets. Pretty sure I can sell them though, lol.

*face value, cause I'm not a jerk*

Tried some Tommy Knocker Jack Whacker Wheat. Pretty good wheat beer. Also tried a banana bread beer. Waaaaaaaayy too sweet. Not sure what my thought process was on that one.

Tried a few new beers this weekend...

Dogfish Head Midas Touch: Holy crap, it was terrible. Tasted like red wine and beer. Awful.
New Holland Cabin Fever: Really, really good brown ale
Left Hand Polestar: About as hoppy as I like.
Rogue Chocolate Stout: One of the better chocolate stouts I've tried.

Tried a few new beers this weekend...

Dogfish Head Midas Touch: Holy crap, it was terrible. Tasted like red wine and beer. Awful.
New Holland Cabin Fever: Really, really good brown ale
Left Hand Polestar: About as hoppy as I like.
Rogue Chocolate Stout: One of the better chocolate stouts I've tried.

I'm admittedly a Dogfish nut, but yeah, the Midas is bad. I agree. I also don't like their India Brown. Not what a brown ale should be, in my opinion.

I'm admittedly a Dogfish nut, but yeah, the Midas is bad. I agree. I also don't like their India Brown. Not what a brown ale should be, in my opinion.

That's why it's an Indian Brown. Implies that it's Hoppier than a brown ale. I'm not a big DFH fan myself, I like 60, 90 and Palo Santo Marron, but that's about it.

That's why it's an Indian Brown. Implies that it's Hoppier than a brown ale. I'm not a big DFH fan myself, I like 60, 90 and Palo Santo Marron, but that's about it.

I have to be in certain moods for their year-around stuff. Love the seasonals and special releases. Plus, their ale houses are top notch.

Had a beer out of an interesting machine in Sasebo this past weekend.

You took a glass, set it on the bottom section of what looked like a regular soda dispenser, put in 300 yen, and pressed start. The machine tilted the glass and poured the beer like a bartender, then put some extra foam on top. Interesting to say the least.

EDIT: Video of a similar machine by some guy.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhXP1wgkEhk[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Had a great beer yesterday, Zes Zes Zes, a collaboration with Three Floyds and de Molen. A Farmhouse style, that borders closer to IPA with its Grapefruit/citric hop notes and counters with a nice spicyness. You can order it online with some other great beers at a website I'll divulge later. Well, after I order more anyways.

200th at the Saucer. Speech went as follows:

I'd like to thank all those that made this possible: *the skanky waitresses in the awesome knee highs. The drunken friends that accompany me and goad me into "just one more". But most importantly, an awesome wife who puts up with my crap and heads to Target instead. Thank you all and God Bless!

VN Store

Back