Be Ready to see thousands of BYU fans in Knoxville

I am assuming this is sarcasm. Do you really think Vol fans will wait for the game for alcohol and pay $10 a beer? I am sure myself and 95% of the people in the stands will still do the majority of there drinking before entering the stadium.
I'll never forget the time I naively tried to go into Neyland Stadium with a tall Budweiser in my overalls pocket. Lady cop was like, WHATS THAT ???

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
I always get N. Y Strip median rate. It is about 2 inches thick and very tender. It is more than I can eat at one sitting but is really good with eggs the next morning.
Heck yeah! Nothing better than a good thick steak with 3 or 4 eggs over easy and a big bowl of buttered and peppered grits.
Damn, now I have a craving; curse you!!!

Wow I just thought of this...The services the sunday after the game at the Church of Latterday Saints behind west town mall should be epic...I can't imagine how many people they will have to turn away due to fire capacity.

This won’t make the bars and restaurants happy...the BYU fans bring a copy of the Ten Commandments and a Twenty dollar bill and try not to break either...:p

Check out J.C. Holdway for a menu comparable to Blackberry Farms award winning chefs' dishes. (the fella that opened it used to be a chef at Blackberry)
Make reservations.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
Gus’s World Famous Fried Chicken is excellent. It’s about 10-15 minutes away, depending on traffic from Neyland.

Gus’s World Famous Fried Chicken is excellent. It’s about 10-15 minutes away, depending on traffic from Neyland.
Worst chicken I ever had. I spit it out. But I have acid reflux and can’t eat spicey food. Wright’s Cafeteria has down home regular southern fried chicken and veggies .

I'd be a little shocked if these numbers play out. Their home stadium holds only 63,000 but they've failed to get 60,000 in the seats for 4 straight years. Why all of a sudden would they get Power 5 numbers at a distant away game. For comparison, Neyland has more long-term season ticket holders than this.

This reminds me a bit of Cinci fans before the game a handful of years ago. None of them had ever seen such a contingent of Bearcats at an away game. Calhouns was a sea of red and black , and there was a lot of talk from their camp of how they took over Knoxville. A couple hours later, we all strolled into college football's greatest coliseum, emerged from the concourse into the expansive belly of Neyland. When you do this for the first time, feeling the vibration of 105k people humming off the steel that has been witness to some of the most iconic moments and players in the sport, it sends chills down your back. You couldn't find a Cinci fan outside of a small partition behind their bench. It was, and will be again, a sea of insufferable orange.

Worst chicken I ever had. I spit it out. But I have acid reflux and can’t eat spicey food. Wright’s Cafeteria has down home regular southern fried chicken and veggies .

Wright's Cafeteria; now that's for me, IF they cook fresh veggies. I do not eat canned crap.

I'd be a little shocked if these numbers play out. Their home stadium holds only 63,000 but they've failed to get 60,000 in the seats for 4 straight years. Why all of a sudden would they get Power 5 numbers at a distant away game. For comparison, Neyland has more long-term season ticket holders than this.

This reminds me a bit of Cinci fans before the game a handful of years ago. None of them had ever seen such a contingent of Bearcats at an away game. Calhouns was a sea of red and black , and there was a lot of talk from their camp of how they took over Knoxville. A couple hours later, we all strolled into college football's greatest coliseum, emerged from the concourse into the expansive belly of Neyland. When you do this for the first time, feeling the vibration of 105k people humming off the steel that has been witness to some of the most iconic moments and players in the sport, it sends chills down your back. You couldn't find a Cinci fan outside of a small partition behind their bench. It was, and will be again, a sea of insufferable orange.

BYU, being a religious school, has fans all over the nation and south. They travel well because fans in every corner of the country are excited to get a game that is somewhat local to them.

Reactions: Hoosier Coug
BYU, being a religious school, has fans all over the nation and south. They travel well because fans in every corner of the country are excited to get a game that is somewhat local to them.

I get the idea, but I'm not buying the result. Nor have I ever heard anything about BYU traveling well when discussing college football with people over the years.

"For the fourth-straight season, BYU football failed to reach the 60,000-in-attendance threshold, averaging just 56,267 fans in the stands per game.
This represents just 88 percent capacity for LaVell Edwards Stadium, which can hold up to 63,725 people."

If you add up all the Mormons in our region:
TN: 50k
NC: 80k
AR: 30k
GA: 80k
KY: 30k
MO: 70k
MS: 20k
AL: 40k

You come to ~400k members. That's 1.6 million less church members than live in the Salt Lake City area alone, where they can't even get 60,000 in their home stadium. They're not getting 10k+ to Knoxville, Tennessee.

I get the idea, but I'm not buying the result. Nor have I ever heard anything about BYU traveling well when discussing college football with people over the years.

"For the fourth-straight season, BYU football failed to reach the 60,000-in-attendance threshold, averaging just 56,267 fans in the stands per game.
This represents just 88 percent capacity for LaVell Edwards Stadium, which can hold up to 63,725 people."

If you add up all the Mormons in our region:
TN: 50k
NC: 80k
AR: 30k
GA: 80k
KY: 30k
MO: 70k
MS: 20k
AL: 40k

You come to ~400k members. That's 1.6 million less church members than live in the Salt Lake City area alone, where they can't even get 60,000 in their home stadium. They're not getting 10k+ to Knoxville, Tennessee.

Attendance at BYU home games has no bearing on it. Those people have 6-8 chances per year to see them, not to mention SLC is where the Utes are (Mormons don't quite make up half the county population).

BYU plays in the area once in a blue moon. If 2% in TN, GA, and NC show up, that's over 10k, not even counting the die hards who will travel from Utah and all across the south and east to take in the Neyland experience. Idk that they will, but your estimates are based on faulty reasoning, IMO.

Edit: 5%, not 2%

Last edited:
Attendance at BYU home games has no bearing on it. Those people have 6-8 chances per year to see them, not to mention SLC is where the Utes are. BYU plays in the area once in a blue moon. If 2% in TN, GA, and NC show up, that's over 10k, not even counting the die hards who will travel from Utah and all across the south and east to take in the Neyland experience. Idk that they will, but your estimates are based on faulty reasoning, IMO.

Agree to disagree. I think home attendance has a huge bearing on it. Quite a barometer of fan excitement and dedication. We'll see, I plan on going to this game myself.

Attendance at BYU home games has no bearing on it. Those people have 6-8 chances per year to see them, not to mention SLC is where the Utes are (Mormons don't quite make up half the county population).

BYU plays in the area once in a blue moon. If 2% in TN, GA, and NC show up, that's over 10k, not even counting the die hards who will travel from Utah and all across the south and east to take in the Neyland experience. Idk that they will, but your estimates are based on faulty reasoning, IMO.

I hope they have 15k fans there.

We need the money.

Reactions: onevol74
Some of the bad for you food suggestions: Dead end BBQ and Gus's Fried Chicken
Gus’s fried chicken is AWESOME. Even if you aren’t real big on fried chicken. I moved from Memphis and haven’t had it yet in Knoxville but one pointer for noobs. When you go you have to eat there. If you get Gus’s to go it just isn’t the same. Not the same crispy bite you get when you enjoy it in store and not in a to go box

Lol worst?? It’s not that spicy man
It’s not their fault. They told me it was a little 🌶
But when you have reflux, anything spicy 🥵 goes down hard and comes back harder.
I love plain ole deep fried southern fried chicken....without any spices. That’s just me 👍

VN Store

Back