Be careful about this QB thing

lawgator1

I have been reading with interest the threads and posts about whether to abandon Ainge as QB this year (or next). My .02 is to be very careful about that because what you change to is usually not better, at least in the short term, than what you had.

I personally think Ainge is a very good drop back passer, but he needs experience and he needs better receivers. Going to another QB won't give you either.

He set a freshman passign record at UT last year with 17 TD passes. Now, do you think he has become a lesser athlete since then? Or is the problem more systemic? I think its not his fault -- i think it is a combination of lack of good receivers making big plays, sometimes questionable pass blocking, and the general malaise that has hit your team this year.

Did he make some bad decisions over the last few weeks? Sure. But a big part of that in my opinion is trying to do too much with too little. Trying to make the big play. The guy is a sophomore so he has two good years left. I think UT would be far better off rallying around him and working on the other parts of the offense to take some pressure off and let him develop as a player.

Originally posted by lawgator1@Nov 8, 2005 3:20 PM
I have been reading with interest the threads and posts about whether to abandon Ainge as QB this year (or next).  My .02 is to be very careful about that because what you change to is usually not better, at least in the short term, than what you had.

I personally think Ainge is a very good drop back passer, but he needs experience and he needs better receivers.  Going to another QB won't give you either.

He set a freshman passign record at UT last year with 17 TD passes.  Now, do you think he has become a lesser athlete since then?  Or is the problem more systemic?  I think its not his fault -- i think it is a combination of lack of good receivers making big plays, sometimes questionable pass blocking, and the general malaise that has hit your team this year.

Did he make some bad decisions over the last few weeks?  Sure.  But a big part of that in my opinion is trying to do too much with too little.  Trying to make the big play.  The guy is a sophomore so he has two good years left.  I think UT would be far better off rallying around him and working on the other parts of the offense to take some pressure off and let him develop as a player.
[snapback]185856[/snapback]​

good post

Originally posted by rockytop muskrat@Nov 8, 2005 3:25 PM
:eek:k:  right on
[snapback]185861[/snapback]​

Let's move on. Start Crompton the next 3 games to get some experience moving into next season. We will probably lose a few next year no matter who plays QB som next year can also be a learning curve year for JC, then he can bust out for Jr. & Sr. years.

Give 'em hell Kappa Alpha!

Crompton's shoulder isn't really healed yet. And why waste a redshirt on a wasted year?

Originally posted by VolunteerHillbilly@Nov 8, 2005 3:32 PM
Let's move on.  Start Crompton the next 3 games to get some experience moving into next season.  We will probably lose a few next year no matter who plays QB som next year can also be a learning curve year for JC, then he can bust out for Jr. & Sr. years.

Give 'em hell Kappa Alpha!
[snapback]185866[/snapback]​

Why do you say that? We have a great schedule next season. We have a developing superstar at RB (Foster). We will have Hardesty back. Our defensive secondary will be awesome. I think we will be a surprise team next season.

Originally posted by therickbol@Nov 8, 2005 3:35 PM
Why do you say that? We have a great schedule next season. We have a developing superstar at RB (Foster). We will have Hardesty back. Our defensive secondary will be awesome. I think we will be a surprise team next season.
[snapback]185869[/snapback]​

We still have Fulmer who will plauge us with an unimaginative offense and the better defenses in our conference will hold us down and monkeystomp us.

New OC will make an impact. Fulmer has not choice but to give over his control of the offense. He finally sees that its HIS job at stake if he doesn't give the offense over fully to the OC.

I completely agree. The change in offensive coordinator, having healthy RB's, all that is going to be very good for the renewal of your offensive psyche next year.

If I were you guys, I'd be setting up a fund on here where everyone can donate a dollar to buy Fulmer plane tickets to Miami to go find himself some 4.3 40-yard freshmen that can catch and run.

Force the offense to open things up. You know that your next coordinator is going to do his level best to turn you into a passing team.

Originally posted by lawgator1@Nov 8, 2005 3:39 PM
Force the offense to open things up.  You know that your next coordinator is going to do his level best to turn you into a passing team.
[snapback]185876[/snapback]​

It looks like we will get David back, so I am thinking 90% of our 1st and 2nd down plays will be Graham, err. I mean Foster, up the middle.

I say we stay with Ainge. I feel his biggest problem earlier this year was he was trying to push things to much in order to win the the "battle of the starters" race between him and Clausen. As evidenced by the Notre Dame game we just saw. Ainge comes out calm and cool and lets things flow....BAM we put points on the board! Later on in the game, I felt he was trying to make things happen...BAM we got interceptions, dropped passes, incomplete passes, and a general offensive failure!!!

BTW...did anyone see Peyton get the New England monkey off his back last night? That was pretty impressive! I was beginning to think New Engalnd was going to be his new Florida.

Originally posted by VolunteerHillbilly@Nov 8, 2005 3:42 PM
It looks like we will get David back, so I am thinking 90% of our 1st and 2nd down plays will be Graham, err. I mean Foster, up the middle.
[snapback]185881[/snapback]​

You ought to run Foster on 1st down. Get your six yards. So on second you go for the big throw and if its not there, dump it to the tight end.

Originally posted by IndianaVol@Nov 8, 2005 3:44 PM
I say we stay with Ainge. I feel his biggest problem earlier this year was he was trying to push things to much in order to win the the "battle of the starters" race between him and Clausen. As evidenced by the Notre Dame game we just saw. Ainge comes out calm and cool and lets things flow....BAM we put points on the board! Later on in the game, I felt he was trying to make things happen...BAM we got interceptions, dropped passes, incomplete passes, and a general offensive failure!!!

[snapback]185884[/snapback]​

100% agree.

Last year Ainge had 17 TDs because he didn't have the pressure on him. He knew he was gonna be the man. ANd what's wrong with running on 1st and 2nd down...Go back and watch the film. We ran on every 1st down except one against Florida State in '98.

Originally posted by IndianaVol@Nov 8, 2005 3:50 PM
Last year Ainge had 17 TDs because he didn't have the pressure on him. He knew he was gonna be the man. ANd what's wrong with running on 1st and 2nd down...Go back and watch the film. We ran on every 1st down except one against Florida State in '98.
[snapback]185895[/snapback]​

I'm not saying don't run the ball if that's your strength, obviously. But given how much the fans are dissatisfied with what has been an unimaginative offense, I just think the new guy coming in is going to give the fans what they want and that is going to be to air it out some.

Originally posted by therickbol@Nov 8, 2005 3:38 PM
New OC will make an impact. Fulmer has not choice but to give over his control of the offense. He finally sees that its HIS job at stake if he doesn't give the offense over fully to the OC.
[snapback]185874[/snapback]​

Nicely said. Mike Hamilton made him" an offer he couldn't refuse."

I agree. Stick with Ainge the rest of this season. Let him gain some of his confidence back. This upcoming spring will be the time for Crompton to show what he's got. If Crompton is the better qb after spring practices, name him the starter. If Ainge is the best, name him the starter. Either way, name a starter and stick with him unless he gets injured.

Originally posted by lawgator1@Nov 8, 2005 4:20 PM
I have been reading with interest the threads and posts about whether to abandon Ainge as QB this year (or next).  My .02 is to be very careful about that because what you change to is usually not better, at least in the short term, than what you had.
[snapback]185856[/snapback]​

Eric Ainge has probably the lowest QB rating in the ncaa. How are we going to do worse??

His QB rating is now around 80. Ainge doesnt even make the top 100 QB's ranked at espn.com in the NCAA. He's not even close.

The way Ainge is playing this year, he probably couldnt start for 3/4 of the teams in division I this year. Thats simply a fact. The bottom line is, if you only complete around 40% of your passes and throw twice as many interceptions as TD's then your gonna be benched, whether your playing for UT or central Florida.

Originally posted by oklavol@Nov 8, 2005 6:35 PM
Eric Ainge has probably the lowest QB rating in the ncaa.  How are we going to do worse??

His QB rating is now around 80.  Ainge doesnt even make the top 100 QB's ranked at espn.com in the NCAA. He's not even close. 

The way Ainge is playing this year, he probably couldnt start for 3/4 of the teams in division I this year.  Thats simply a fact.  The bottom line is, if you only complete around 40% of your passes and throw twice as many interceptions as TD's then your gonna be benched, whether your playing for UT or central Florida.
[snapback]186018[/snapback]​

The stats don't lie, I'll give you that. But was Clausen winning games? No. Can Ainge get back to form if he has a confident team with some speed and some imagination? I think so.

If I'm wrong, his numbers will suck again. But if I'm right, then no reason he can't win a bunch of ball games for you, maybe an SECC. In the end, what I'm saying is be careful about these types of changes because they really do wreak havoc on the team, even down the road.

Fulmer has learned a hard lesson even though he has been coaching for quite a long time. He will make his decision in the spring on a QB and stick with him. The musical chair has backfired and disruption in the offense.

Originally posted by brg72@Nov 8, 2005 7:00 PM
Fulmer has learned a hard lesson even though he has been coaching for quite a long time. He will make his decision in the spring on a QB and stick with him.  The musical chair has backfired and disruption in the offense.
[snapback]186036[/snapback]​

Yes.

Originally posted by brg72@Nov 8, 2005 6:00 PM
Fulmer has learned a hard lesson even though he has been coaching for quite a long time. He will make his decision in the spring on a QB and stick with him.  The musical chair has backfired and disruption in the offense.
[snapback]186036[/snapback]​

He better, the QB shuffle rarely works IMO

QB shuffle is about 5% more efficient than the Curly Shuffle. Woop Woop Woop Nack Nack Nack Whoooof whooof

Finally, a thread for QB that makes sense. A lot of people on here are making me crazy with this "Put in Crompton" next year crap.

The musical QB's have backfired big time this year.

Let a good QB coach develop Ainge and give him the tools and cools he needs.

It would truly surprise me, for one.

VN Store

Back