BCS System

kptvol every time I started to respond to something hman said you had already explained it just as well. I think we are on the same page.

As for the vote I think that it would only be fair if you educated the people voting from each perspective and point of view. I'm trying to educate myself and others through my work. I'm not expecting to come to any clear cut conclusion or find a unique solution of my own...I'm just making an effort to explain the logic of what we have now and what revisions could/should be made.

I think that if you actually educate yourself and look deeper into it there actually is a legit argument for the BCS side. I'm not saying its a better argument, but there is a real opinion there. It is one that isn't the popular opinion right now though so it's not even looked at.

Again let me reiterate that I am not attempting to take sides at this point (though I eventually will), I'm just looking at both sides of the debate here.
I appreciate your attempt to logically research the issue. While doing the same, research how it's possible for the NCAA to have a playoff system in place for men and women's basketball, lower division football, lacrosse, baseball and virtually every other sport. Just saying.

I appreciate your attempt to logically research the issue. While doing the same, research how it's possible for the NCAA to have a playoff system in place for men and women's basketball, lower division football, lacrosse, baseball and virtually every other sport. Just saying.

The men's basketball tournament has been going on since 1939.

No one cares about the other sports enough to worry about the postseason format.

No one cares about the other sports enough to worry about the postseason format.
And the elitist vein pops out again... Sorry couldn't help it. I'm outa here again..

As a matter of history, what was that tournament called and how many teams were invited?

And the elitist vein pops out again... Sorry couldn't help it. I'm outa here again..

I assume you are joking, but everyone knows that Men's Football and Basketball are the major sports. Heck, there might be a few people out there screaming for some sort of change in how the lacrosse champion is decided. A very sizable portion of sports fans, including myself, would never know about it.

For 200 bonus points, where is the college World Series played?

It's in Omaha. I actually considered going this past summer, but couldn't get out of work. I don't see how this line of questioning is productive.

Anyway, I would not speak so adamantly about the longevity of the BCS system if I had not been assured by a source I consider credible that it isn't going anywhere for quite some time. I'll end my half of the debate there. If you need more help with research, however, I might lend a hand.

Yea I was kind of wondering where this was heading...

And I think that it is a somewhat considerable argument about how every other major team sport both professional and college have a playoff system. However that doesn't really hold much relevance to the people who hold the power here. Especially considering that you don't ever make decisions in sports based on what another sport does. That's like making the argument as a child that "but Tommy's parents let him do it..."

I don't really have anything written yet because I'm still just in the information gathering stage but I'll be sure to either post my first paper on here (just presenting both sides initially) or I can email any of yall the file that would be interested if I can't post it.

Anyway we can whine and complain about the BCS but it will be a long time before any changes could be made regardless of who wants them. The system is set and can't be changed for a good while.

would Tennesee of won a National Title had they beat Nebraska in 1997 & Michigan had lost to Washington or whoever it was they played?

I'm not the history buff here. I was too young then to remember all the talk that surrounded the teams at that time. I just remember being the proudest kid in the world at school the day after we won and sticking it to all my obnoxious Memphis and Ole Miss fan friends that were idiots.

The main reason the BCS sucks is because it ruined New Year's Day. You younger guys can't imagine how fantastic it used to be to lug the TVs in from the other room so you could watch all the bowl games in one huge, sodden, beery final blowout of college football. Now they stretch all the games out for a week and we've all lost interest by 4 pm.

I want a (limited, eight-team at most) playoff. But if we can't have that, I want to go back to the old system.

VN Store

Back