BasketVols in the NBA

Bowden getting in the act as well, 14 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists in a win.

Nice to see so many Vols doing well in summer league, hope they can parlay performances into contracts!

Really wish solid performances meant something in the Summer League. I remember Lofton having a few really good shooting games for the Celtics in SL and then suddenly getting some DNPs out of nowhere. I know there's a lot more to it than just one skill but man, I want more Vols in the league.

Really wish solid performances meant something in the Summer League. I remember Lofton having a few really good shooting games for the Celtics in SL and then suddenly getting some DNPs out of nowhere. I know there's a lot more to it than just one skill but man, I want more Vols in the league.

Yeah, it’s real tough to make the jump from SL, but it’s nice to at least see VFLs in action again and hopefully some will get noticed.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Kyle Alexander with 18 points and 14 boards tonight!

8-12 shooting in 23 min of action, hit a shot that tied it up with 32 seconds left (only to lose by 3 after some other bonehead air-balled a last second 3).

also had 7 fouls 🤣
7 fouls? I guess summer league they just let that go

We’ve become a bit calloused to the splash blocks by Pons but I’m starting to wonder if the nba might be impressed enough to hold onto him for a few years to see if he can find his niche. I hope he can hit the 3’s at a good clip this summer as I’d think that would help his stock

We’ve become a bit calloused to the splash blocks by Pons but I’m starting to wonder if the nba might be impressed enough to hold onto him for a few years to see if he can find his niche. I hope he can hit the 3’s at a good clip this summer as I’d think that would help his stock

Hitting 3’s would definitely help him. I looked at the box score tonight, and the Grizzlies sat their 4 legit NBA roster players, so it was all first year or summer players. Pons got the most minutes and had the best +- at +14.

He signed something called an Exhibit 10 contract that is a minimum salary but can be changed to a 2 way contract. I guess the Grizzlies could eventually wave him, but I’m not sure why you sign that deal after a week on the squad as an undrafted free agent unless you want him to be on the roster for a while. The Grizzlies now have 16/17 on the roster after yesterday’s trade, but they will probably unload/wave a couple of veteran players they don’t want. I think Pons sticks for at least a year.

Reactions: walkenvol
Hitting 3’s would definitely help him. I looked at the box score tonight, and the Grizzlies sat their 4 legit NBA roster players, so it was all first year or summer players. Pons got the most minutes and had the best +- at +14.

He signed something called an Exhibit 10 contract that is a minimum salary but can be changed to a 2 way contract. I guess the Grizzlies could eventually wave him, but I’m not sure why you sign that deal after a week on the squad as an undrafted free agent unless you want him to be on the roster for a while. The Grizzlies now have 16/17 on the roster after yesterday’s trade, but they will probably unload/wave a couple of veteran players they don’t want. I think Pons sticks for at least a year.

An exhibit 10 contract just allows you to give a bonus to go to the G League. Its basically an incentivized G League deal that gives that team a first rights to the player if you will.

I doubt he sticks. The summer league environment is akin to JV high school basketball. Very much a "roll the ball out" and play which allows the most athletic kids to always look great. Athleticism has never been a concern for him. Its his ability to handle defensive rotations and defensive schemes as well as very little offensive game that kept him undrafted. He really hasn't done anything in these games to showcase he can do those things at the next level.

An exhibit 10 contract just allows you to give a bonus to go to the G League. Its basically an incentivized G League deal that gives that team a first rights to the player if you will.

I doubt he sticks. The summer league environment is akin to JV high school basketball. Very much a "roll the ball out" and play which allows the most athletic kids to always look great. Athleticism has never been a concern for him. Its his ability to handle defensive rotations and defensive schemes as well as very little offensive game that kept him undrafted. He really hasn't done anything in these games to showcase he can do those things at the next level.
I would argue that was the least effective environment that Pons could be in. He needs a true PG to set him up, and he needs to true defensive scheme in order to maximize his effectiveness.

He played really good defense overall. I wish they would've used him more in one on one situations, as he largely was off the ball. When he did have to guard one on one, he did really well I thought.

Offensively he's largely catch and shoot or rim running, doesn't help when all of your teammates are looking to score to impress teams. On defense, his rotations helped him lead the league in blocks in 2019. There's not a whole lot of defensive rotations in summer league. Like you said it is more just roll the ball out and play. Yes, Pons gets lost a fair amount, but it's not like he can't play within a system. Most of his blocks were in transition in summer league.

He'll be on the G League team no doubt this year (we already have like 18 players signed right now, we have to cut 3). I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a two way spot at some point. I believe he's got a good chance at that.

VN Store

Back