Basketball recruits

FranklinVol-615

Years past, I had my fingers on the pulse of college basketball recruiting. With some of my family ties, I got amazing insight. The last 2 years have been tough for me with family illnesses and I haven’t kept up with any basketball except to watch games (with tons of old guys at assisted living facilities ha ha ).

Can someone break down our recruiting. Who we are looking at signing? Ranking? Are we getting higher quality players since the program is doing so well?

I appreciate it. Merry Christmas Vol nation.

Years past, I had my fingers on the pulse of college basketball recruiting. With some of my family ties, I got amazing insight. The last 2 years have been tough for me with family illnesses and I haven’t kept up with any basketball except to watch games (with tons of old guys at assisted living facilities ha ha ).

Can someone break down our recruiting. Who we are looking at signing? Ranking? Are we getting higher quality players since the program is doing so well?

We are done ith the 2019 class. Weve signed three star devonte gaines (sf), three star drew pember (stretch foward) , and five star josiah james (pg). For 2020 our class looks to be star studded. Personally i think we land four star keon johnson (sg) , five star jaden springer (pg) , and currently unranked sam ruzhentsev.

We are done ith the 2019 class. Weve signed three star devonte gaines (sf), three star drew pember (stretch foward) , and five star josiah james (pg). For 2020 our class looks to be star studded. Personally i think we land four star keon johnson (sg) , five star jaden springer (pg) , and currently unranked sam ruzhentsev.

Thanks for the update. Appreciate it.

That would be my hope as well. With CRB philosophy(of which I approve lol) we are so limited to the type of player he is willing to recruit as really cuts down on top prospects. That in no way is a criticism of Rick its just a truth. I'm so proud of the character guys we have on this team and I realize they are still young men and do make mistakes but they have represented this university/team with honor and dignity.

I usually just use this site to follow who we got and you can check the players out yourselves with the profiles they have up. You can switch between 'Commits' or 'Prospects' - 'Offers' - 'Visits'. I think we got some good guys coming in though and the potential to draw more here seems to be on the up...I would imagine. Just see who we got and then look their names up more. Not all of their videos are on those profiles. Can find more videos on these guys elsewhere.

Tennessee 2019 Basketball Commits

Excited to see Josiah James come here next year. Looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the team.

Here is a cool feature on Davonte Gaines too. He reminds me of KD, which obviously Barnes has experience with. He's already good size height wise, can just imagine what he'll look like during our program.

Last edited:
Going to see Keon Johnson and Webb play tonight vs .Hamilton Heights out of Chattanooga. Hamilton has some big time players. They have become a powerhouse bringing in a lot of elite talent from around the country. I know Keon plays against this type of competition on the AAU circuit but it will be a step up for his high school team. Not sure he can carry them over that squad. UT is also recruiting the sam ruzhentsev out of Hamilton.

Wow. I love the game of Gaines. Thanks for posting the link. I can see why Barnes likes him so much. Slightly shorter Durant. I love his passing ability as well as his pull up jumper. Seems like an overlooked player in terms of his ranking.

Appreciate it guys.

You were the perfect guy to answer this question. Well done, Big Daddy D.

Reactions: Stoked
Gaines looked good but needs a REAL HEAVY peanut butter diet or something.
You are right. He’s built very similar to Jordan McRae when he was an incoming freshman back in 2010. I believe Gaines is 6’7” 175lbs and McRae was around 6’5” or 6’6” and 165.

That would be my hope as well. With CRB philosophy(of which I approve lol) we are so limited to the type of player he is willing to recruit as really cuts down on top prospects. That in no way is a criticism of Rick its just a truth. I'm so proud of the character guys we have on this team and I realize they are still young men and do make mistakes but they have represented this university/team with honor and dignity.

Grant and Admiral are a pleasure to watch, they both emulate what you are looking for in a college player, smart, well spoken leaders, team players advancing their games each season. Much better than a 1 and done guy taking art for 2 semesters then off to the NBA. Barnes is basically saying he can mold any group of young men into a competitive team if they are smart with a good attitude. I can't believe Texas let this guy go?

Gaines needs to be on that Donnie Tyndall diet. If he has the work ethic of Williams and Schofield, Barnes will develop him into a NBA player!

Nobody worth a dime wanted Gaines but us,Pember is a project,and James is a 5 star immediate contributor.

We currently have Top 100 big man D.J. Burns redshirting, I think most expect him to make a pretty big impact next season.
While I completely trust Barnes judgement, I just wonder if burning Burns redshirt wouldn't be worth it, as a trade in for experience for next year. Here's my reasoning. My son goes to Villanova, so have been following them real close the last 3 years. I think Jay Wright and Barnes are very similar in many respects...character, culture, class, team ball, good defense, developing under rated players to play within the system and doing things the right way. However, Nova lost 4 players to the draft and they've had real problems this year playing D, rebounding and lack consistent leadership and scoring...they've got talent, but it's all young. The team who won 2 of last 3 championships has lost to Furman and Penn, and got slaughtered by Michigan. I'd expect Williams to go pro, obviously, so we're going to have alot of muscle and scoring we're going to need to replace next year. I know I've got to just enjoy the moment, and I am...but was actually thinking the other day that we're going to really need Burns next year, and just thought experience may be worth burning the redshirt. Could be entirely wrong, but this is the place to put random thoughts out there on the Vols...

While I completely trust Barnes judgement, I just wonder if burning Burns redshirt wouldn't be worth it, as a trade in for experience for next year. Here's my reasoning. My son goes to Villanova, so have been following them real close the last 3 years. I think Jay Wright and Barnes are very similar in many respects...character, culture, class, team ball, good defense, developing under rated players to play within the system and doing things the right way. However, Nova lost 4 players to the draft and they've had real problems this year playing D, rebounding and lack consistent leadership and scoring...they've got talent, but it's all young. The team who won 2 of last 3 championships has lost to Furman and Penn, and got slaughtered by Michigan. I'd expect Williams to go pro, obviously, so we're going to have alot of muscle and scoring we're going to need to replace next year. I know I've got to just enjoy the moment, and I am...but was actually thinking the other day that we're going to really need Burns next year, and just thought experience may be worth burning the redshirt. Could be entirely wrong, but this is the place to put random thoughts out there on the Vols...

Even if Burns was playing this year he wouldn’t be getting much PT, not worth 8-10mpg he might get this year in turn of losing a year of eligibility.

Also, don’t think Williams is going anywhere, he has said multiple times his plan is to come back and get his masters degree next year.

VN Store

Back