Basketball Odds and Ends

SNAFU

"By far the guy that has generated the biggest buzz since they’ve at least gotten to get on the court and do something aside from working on their shot is freshman Keon Johnson and it’s not close. His drawn praise not just for his athleticism and skill set, but the intensity that he attacks each drill with and is constantly pushing himself to get better.

Based on what we’re hearing it’s not a stretch to say that some close to the program feel like Johnson will have a chance to be the best player that Rick Barnes has coached in Knoxville.

We’re (War Room staff) told that Santiago Vescovi likely won’t return to Knoxville until near the start of classes. That’s simply because he’s able to get in so much more work back home than he would be in the current restrictive college settings, like routinely playing with and against professionals.

No one knows what the future holds, but some we’ve talked to this week seem confident that the basketball season will go on as currently planned. I found that take from an inside surprising, feeling like there could be some push for a conference only season that begins in January. Nothing is written in stone yet, but right now there seems to be some hope that it will be business as usual with the schedule, though it’s still anyone’s guess what the fans in the stands situation will be like.

There continues to be a lot of buzz about the possibility of Kennedy Chandler making a decision soon. He spoke with national analyst Eric Bossi this week and indicated that his preference right now was to wait and take visits in the fall, assuming that’s allowed.

Could Chandler back off from that and make an early decision? Sure, but for now he seems to be trying to put to rest the notion that he’s on the brink of a decision. Regardless of his timetable it feels like Tennessee is in a very strong position based off what we’re hearing, and frankly, unless something changes it would be a surprise if the Vols didn’t land the No. 10 ranked player in the country and the top point guard in 2021.

One player that we mentioned Tennessee was making a move on several weeks ago is five-star forward Caleb Houstan originally from Toronto, but now at Montverde Academy. He recently put out a top ten with Tennessee in it and this week reclassified into the 2021 class where he was promptly slotted as the No. 9 prospect in the nation." The War Room

I hope Johnson lives up to his billing.
Yeah, hopefully at least one of our incoming 5 stars prospects does. If you think about it, outside of Tobias Harris, what 5 star recruit that we've landed in the last 25 years has lived up to their own hype during their freshman year? Stokes maybe a little?

I’d agree on Stokes. It’s a shame he wasn’t born 20 years earlier as he would have prospered in the old NBA

Yeah, hopefully at least one of our incoming 5 stars prospects does. If you think about it, outside of Tobias Harris, what 5 star recruit that we've landed in the last 25 years has lived up to their own hype during their freshman year? Stokes maybe a little?
This discussion was had multiple times during the season...given his ranking JJJ definitely did. There’s a big difference between guys ranked 1-12 and 13-25.

This discussion was had multiple times during the season...given his ranking JJJ definitely did. There’s a big difference between guys ranked 1-12 and 13-25.
To most people...
5*=hype=immediate all-conference, if not all-american

There is no grade or degree of 5*, to them. It is literally all or nothing, boom or bust.

Idk Stokes coming in as someone who should have still been in high school averaging 10 ppg, 7 rpg, and 1.5 bpg was pretty impressive. He had his way with Andre Drummond just a few games into his college career.

The Keon news is exciting. I'll admit, I've been so focused on Springer that I have somewhat forgot about Keon surprisingly. It's not all the time that we have two 5 stars coming in and I can't remember a time when we had 3 five stars on a roster? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The Keon news is exciting. I'll admit, I've been so focused on Springer that I have somewhat forgot about Keon surprisingly. It's not all the time that we have two 5 stars coming in and I can't remember a time when we had 3 five stars on a roster? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
It was not long ago that some projected that Keon's body composition and injuries had set him well behind Springer. I find it interesting that now we see a different narrative. I hope this latest narrative is what we see if the season plays out.

It was not long ago that some projected that Keon's body composition and injuries had set him well behind Springer. I find it interesting that now we see a different narrative. I hope this latest narrative is what we see if the season plays out.
"Suspected" is probably a more fair description that "projected". I don't think anyone was qualified to speak on the matter with authority because we hadn't seen Keon play since November, but given his layoff, I still don't think it was an unreasonable suspicion to have, at the time. Operating with this new info, which I would still caution to take with a grain of salt, it would seem that the suspicion was unfounded and Keon has worked his tail off to overcome any ill-effect of missing 75% of his senior year.

Ernie, Bernie, and Reggie were 5 stars whether the media gave them all 15 or not.

Reactions: i2amavol
To most people...
5*=hype=immediate all-conference, if not all-american

There is no grade or degree of 5*, to them. It is literally all or nothing, boom or bust.

Agreed. Most people are ignorant of the range of talent of 5 star players. Additionally, these kids don’t rank themselves. That rank can become a burden once they begin play at this level if they don’t live up to the hype created by others.

Reactions: cncchris33
Agreed. Most people are ignorant of the range of talent of 5 star players. Additionally, these kids don’t rank themselves. That rank can become a burden once they begin play at this level if they don’t live up to the hype created by others.
Yep. Spot on.

See Hubbs, Robert.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Add Jackson and Darden to that mix, and I seriously doubt there were five more talented teams in the country.

We just lacked an experience low post with good size. Reggie was young and skinny his freshman year. I can't recall if Doug Ashworth was on the 1976-77 roster, but he was way undersized as our center. He would have been a great 6th Man or small power forward.

Reactions: cardvolfan
What are the chances that Springer is the starting PG a few games into the season?

VN Store

Back