Basilio Still Thinks Pruitt is Likely Gone

Reactions: TNHopeful505
Just because someone treats others wrongly doesn’t mean they aren’t smart. I don’t question Pruitt’s intelligence. I question his leadership and ability to provide us with a sense of calm, but that has nothing to do with intelligence.

And to say we had no other options is incorrect. We had other options. Heck I would have rather we given Steele the keys than Pruitt, at least he had HC experience—albeit bad but at least it’s experience. We had Mike Leach basically signing the dotted line before Davenport pulled the plug. If you think he wouldn’t do a better job than Pruitt, you’re crazy! So we definitely had better options, Fulmer just wanted someone he could micromanage.
We didn't have options after Fulmer got in there, once he got that AD job that was the end of it. At that time the only option was Pruitt because he was the only one who would allow Fulmer to meddle.

So, essentially me and you are on the same page

guys... no one knows what's going to happen... not even Pruitt (yet)... all signs point to not bringing him back but lets see what the next few days bring
hiring Steele (at a bargain btw) doesn't mean anything about Pruitt's future

Yes, a lot of people dislike and discredit him, but it’s something. He posted his blog this evening, and he said that if Pruitt’s job security was a football game he would be “down 35-7 at home against Kentucky with JG at quarterback.” He also notes that he thinks Kevin Steele is going to be the interim if (when) Tennessee fires Pruitt. Not sure if I’m buying it, but it’s still something to note.

Good test of his sources. At the Tennessee poker table, he's going "all in."

We'll see if any of those working on the sunshine and lollipops from Hill-run radio are willing to challenge him.

Pruitt should have been gone after aTm. But there are still folks out there who think the man running the Tennessee program should be given time to "learn" on the job.

Let's hope Steele's arrival is a sign that the adults are replacing this Bammer Baby and are taking field-level command of General Neyland's legacy.

Steele as an interim head coach would be an a$$ backward approach. The Administration and AD have been provided plenty of time to replace Pruitt.
Only the Tennessee administration could come up with a plan like that.

“As the Vols Turn!” A new sitcom that has it all! Drama, ineptitude, incompetence, greed and heart break as a once proud football program continues its decent into mediocrity. Don’t miss the intrigue of passed over coaches being hired to “assist” a beleaguered HC who only three years ago was hired instead! Oh, the drama of this new coaching assistant who pulled a failed coup attempt against his prior head coach and it failed! Will he succeeded this time? Tune in to, “As the Vols Turn” to find out the exciting conclusion to this fiasco; don’t miss the grandeur of poor decisions exploding on the screen. Why you ask, because this is the prime entertainment value of this once fine football program. Stay tuned y’all aight!

Last edited:
Yes, a lot of people dislike and discredit him, but it’s something. He posted his blog this evening, and he said that if Pruitt’s job security was a football game he would be “down 35-7 at home against Kentucky with JG at quarterback.” He also notes that he thinks Kevin Steele is going to be the interim if (when) Tennessee fires Pruitt. Not sure if I’m buying it, but it’s still something to note.

Let's assume that he is right and Steele is being set up to be "interim" head coach. That means Phil made this hire with or without Pruitt's input. There are already rumors of dissention in the coaching staff and Pruitt fired the DL coach because of "difference of philosophy". How much stress/pressure does having your replacement on staff put on Pruitt? And how much strife/split does this cause on the coaching staff? I could see this blowing up in Phil's face if the staff splits and half think Pruitt should lead the team and half think Steele should lead the team. All of this is assuming that Pruitt is back for 2021.

guys... no one knows what's going to happen... not even Pruitt (yet)... all signs point to not bringing him back but lets see what the next few days bring
hiring Steele (at a bargain btw) doesn't mean anything about Pruitt's future

I think the signs point to Pruitt coming back. In the schools statement it said pruitt looks forward to working with Steele. And steeles statement says he looks forward to working with Pruitt. I get it- 'what else are they going to say?'. But the statement didn't have to say that.

Workin' like heck to get better.....and to delay any change that threatens the status quo.....

Reactions: vol05
Pruitt thinks he is hiring a defensive assistant. He actually just hired the stopgap for when things go south and he is let go.

The administration knows if this keeps investigation keeps going and Pruitt is let go, it will need someone who can at least steady the program. While Steele isn't the ideal, he is someone who has copious SEC experience, who is trusted, and who will be able to keep the program from collapsing if/when Pruitt doesn't make it. He doesn't have to be the long term option, but he can be the option until we are able to conduct a thorough (and successful) coaching search.

Does this mean Pruitt is safe? I don't believe so. It just means that we now have a "Plan B" in case it all falls apart. Or maybe, when it all falls apart.

Steele isn't a bad stop gap. He's getting a ransom from Auburn to not work for him. If he winds up an interim for a third of the season because Pruitt gets canned in 2021 (Year 4), so be it. Steele obviously has no problem being the DC after his HC prospects went away.

Auburn went from trying to weasel him into the head coaching gig to forcing some candidates to keep him on as DC. Regardless, his coaching ability is welcomed here.

I know there are people that are absolute Basilio acolytes, but I cannot listen to the guy because his audio just sound so low budget to me. I know that he is just recording in a solo studio, which I presume is at his home, but the production quality just kills me.

Good test of his sources. At the Tennessee poker table, he's going "all in."

We'll see if any of those working on the sunshine and lollipops from Hill-run radio are willing to challenge him.

Pruitt should have been gone after aTm. But there are still folks out there who think the man running the Tennessee program should be given time to "learn" on the job.

Let's hope Steele's arrival is a sign that the adults are replacing this Bammer Baby and are taking field-level command of General Neyland's legacy.
Fulmer gonna pull this team into the abyss via his ginormous ego.

I love how everyone at VN thinks like GOT writers. Fulmer didn’t hire Steele to have a back pocket option for when they Red Wedding Pruitt. They hired Steele because it was a perfect opportunity given the fact we got him on a 2 year contract at chump change due to his firing from Auburn. However, Pruitt had say in this hire and, for once, it was a smart move on his part. He might suck as a HC, but he’s not a dumb, business minded guy. You don’t make it to this level if you don’t know how to play the business game. In other words, JP isn’t going to jump on board hiring the guy who’s set to replace him. JP will be our coach going into next year, this hire pretty much confirms that.

Agree. Cannot imagine the dysfunction where the head guy (Fulmer) would be dictating to the head coach that he must hire his own replacement, without at the same time firing said head coach. Not unless all parties have already agreed to a later dismissal and replacement, which seems highly unlikely. Your scenario seems the most credible to me.

No. He was hurt and wanted to come back bc he knew he was healthy enough to play. He didnt want to be QB when he came back. He just wanted to play. Butch said no and JJ went on his social media tirade that got him kicked off. Butch got fired and Hoke still wouldnt let him back.

Looking back, JJ didnt handle it right, but he wasnt wrong.

EDIT: I posted this before seeing the link above from 17.

He was not medically cleared to play. Missed mulitple (almost all) rehab appointment/assignments, or whatever they call them in the AD. He did have a hissy during a team meeting about being the QB (for some plays) for the UK game, and players and coaches thought he was under the influence. Then came the social media meltdown.

It was the correct move to force him to earn his way back. I think Hoke overreacted. There should have been a probationary approach or something. But JJ crossed the line after his injury.

Reactions: davethevol

VN Store

Back