Basilio Still Thinks Pruitt is Likely Gone

A Typical Vol Fan

Yes, a lot of people dislike and discredit him, but it’s something. He posted his blog this evening, and he said that if Pruitt’s job security was a football game he would be “down 35-7 at home against Kentucky with JG at quarterback.” He also notes that he thinks Kevin Steele is going to be the interim if (when) Tennessee fires Pruitt. Not sure if I’m buying it, but it’s still something to note.

Pruitt thinks he is hiring a defensive assistant. He actually just hired the stopgap for when things go south and he is let go.

The administration knows if this keeps investigation keeps going and Pruitt is let go, it will need someone who can at least steady the program. While Steele isn't the ideal, he is someone who has copious SEC experience, who is trusted, and who will be able to keep the program from collapsing if/when Pruitt doesn't make it. He doesn't have to be the long term option, but he can be the option until we are able to conduct a thorough (and successful) coaching search.

Does this mean Pruitt is safe? I don't believe so. It just means that we now have a "Plan B" in case it all falls apart. Or maybe, when it all falls apart.

Investigation goes really bad, Pruitt's gone, Steele HC with Fulmer giving a guiding hand. Investigation shows nothing for cause firing, Pruitt is here for one more year, Steele takes over 2022 w Fulmer giving a guiding hand.

Steele was Fulmer's second choice last time. So he's got him in position for a seamless takeover now.

Pruitt thinks he is hiring a defensive assistant. He actually just hired the stopgap for when things go south and he is let go.

The administration knows if this keeps investigation keeps going and Pruitt is let go, it will need someone who can at least steady the program. While Steele isn't the ideal, he is someone who has copious SEC experience, who is trusted, and who will be able to keep the program from collapsing if/when Pruitt doesn't make it. He doesn't have to be the long term option, but he can be the option until we are able to conduct a thorough (and successful) coaching search.

Does this mean Pruitt is safe? I don't believe so. It just means that we now have a "Plan B" in case it all falls apart. Or maybe, when it all falls apart.

Yeah, that's why I think his hire was approved so quickly, and why Steele was eager to come back to UT.

Though, I disagree with him not being ideal. For an interim coach, I think Steele is a primo option. Similar to Ed Orgeron or someone like that. Don't think he'd be a good permanent HC (or at least, I'm not eager to gamble on it), but as a guy who can guide us through the season without everything falling apart, Steele is a great pick.

MUCH BETTER THAN BRADY HOKE!!!

So the admin suddenly has a guy in their back pocket who can take over as HC if Pruitt is fired. And even if Pruitt is fired, it's probably better to look for a coach in December than now.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why I think his hire was approved so quickly, and why Steele was eager to come back to UT.

Though, I disagree with him not being ideal. For an interim coach, I think Steele is a primo option. Similar to Ed Orgeron or someone like that. Don't think he'd be a good permanent HC (or at least, I'm not eager to gamble on it), but as a guy who can guide us through the season without everything falling apart, Steele is a great pick.

So the admin suddenly has a guy in their back pocket who can take over as HC if Pruitt is fired. And even if Pruitt is fired, it's probably better to look for a coach in December than now.
lol Much better than Brady Hoke. Remember when he was the interm coach after Butch got fired? LSU, second half, we are set to recieve the kick in a freakin' hurricane. We could have chosen to kick instead of receive, but noooooo. We recieved and our return guys couldn't see the ball, heck they couldn't see the kicker and the kick landed at our 5 yard line with LSU recovering it. It was a close game until that point. Here's a fact. Johnny Majors would have kicked to LSU. It was an easy call. Except for Hoke. Just one of those little decisions that lead to defeat. Our specialty.

That's what I meant, is not the ideal for a permanent HC. He's a stopgap. Someone who can keep the program from completely going under until we can find another path. OR he can prove that he is worthy and can do a good job as a HC. We are saying the same thing. :)

Btw....I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for what you bring to the board.

lol Much better than Brady Hoke. Remember when whe was the interm coach after Butch got fired? LSU, second half, we are set to recieve the kick in a freakin' hurricane. We could have chose to kick instead of recive, but noooooo. We recieved and our return guys couldn't see the ball and it landed at our 5 yard line with LSU recovering it. It was a close game until that point. Here's a fact. Johnny Majors would have kicked to LSU. It was an easy call. Except for Hoke. Just one of those little decisions that lead to defeat. Our specialty.
He also wouldn't let Jennings back on the team. Idiot. San Diego State hired him back a second time.

I love how everyone at VN thinks like GOT writers. Fulmer didn’t hire Steele to have a back pocket option for when they Red Wedding Pruitt. They hired Steele because it was a perfect opportunity given the fact we got him on a 2 year contract at chump change due to his firing from Auburn. However, Pruitt had say in this hire and, for once, it was a smart move on his part. He might suck as a HC, but he’s not a dumb, business minded guy. You don’t make it to this level if you don’t know how to play the business game. In other words, JP isn’t going to jump on board hiring the guy who’s set to replace him. JP will be our coach going into next year, this hire pretty much confirms that.

lol Much better than Brady Hoke. Remember when he was the interm coach after Butch got fired? LSU, second half, we are set to recieve the kick in a freakin' hurricane. We could have chosen to kick instead of receive, but noooooo. We recieved and our return guys couldn't see the ball, heck they couldn't see the kicker and the kick landed at our 5 yard line with LSU recovering it. It was a close game until that point. Here's a fact. Johnny Majors would have kicked to LSU. It was an easy call. Except for Hoke. Just one of those little decisions that lead to defeat. Our specialty.

It's tough to grossly underperform expectations as an interim coach, but somehow Hoke managed to do just that.

Not only were his in-game decisions highly questionable, but he dismissed Jauan Jennings from the team because he was butthurt over Jennings' criticism. And then, he topped it off WITH ALL CAPS TEXT MESSAGES TO CURRIE ASKING FOR THE JOB AS PERMANENT HEAD COACH!!! HE SAID HED BE A GREAT RECRUITER!!!

Because nothing tells a bunch of 17 year old kids that you're relevant like all-caps text messages!

Last edited:
I love how everyone at VN thinks like GOT writers. Fulmer didn’t hire Steele to have a back pocket option for when they Red Wedding Pruitt. They hired Steele because it was a perfect opportunity given the fact we got him on a 2 year contract at chump change due to his firing from Auburn.

Doesn't require GOT intrigue to figure this one out.

There's a hiring freeze. Pruitt is not allowed to hire any assistants to fill vacant spots including the DL coach and OL coach.

Suddenly, Steele is instantly approved as a staff hire. Steele is, indeed, a great hire and would be a great hire regardless of the situation. But don't kid yourself ... the reason he got approved during a "hiring freeze" is because they just hired the interim coach if they have to fire Pruitt.

You're acting like this requires some far-flung conspiracy, but it's pretty straight-forward. Steele is a superb defensive coach so he helps on the defensive staff. But if Pruitt is gone, it's not like they're wasting $450K; Steele will simply be promoted to interim coach. Good for us because we get a great option as interim coach. Good for Steele because he gets a shot to prove he can be an HC.

It really does not require GOT-level intrigue. And ADs (at least the good ones) always have a list of replacements ready on a moment's notice; because you never know when you'll need it.

There's a hiring freeze. Pruitt is not allowed to hire any assistants to fill vacant spots including the DL coach and OL coach.

Suddenly, Steele is instantly approved as a staff hire. Steele is, indeed, a great hire and would be a great hire regardless of the situation. But don't kid yourself ... the reason he got approved during a "hiring freeze" is because they just hired the interim coach if they have to fire Pruitt.

You're acting like this requires some far-flung conspiracy, but it's pretty straight-forward. Steele is a superb defensive coach so he helps on the defensive staff. But if Pruitt is gone, it's not like they're wasting $450K; Steele will simply be promoted to interim coach. Good for us because we get a great option as interim coach. Good for Steele because he gets a shot to prove he can be an HC.

It really does not require GOT-level intrigue. And ADs (at least the good ones) always have a list of replacements ready on a moment's notice; because you never know when you'll need it.

i'm ok with it as long as Steele isn't the HC for the 2021 season

Wasn't Jennings MIA after his injury vs. GT? Then all of a sudden he wanted to come back and play QB vs. Vandy?
No. He was hurt and wanted to come back bc he knew he was healthy enough to play. He didnt want to be QB when he came back. He just wanted to play. Butch said no and JJ went on his social media tirade that got him kicked off. Butch got fired and Hoke still wouldnt let him back.

Looking back, JJ didnt handle it right, but he wasnt wrong.

Reactions: memtownvol
I still think Pruitt is gone and fulmer is setting it up for his old buddy Steele to be HC

Honestly I don’t see it as a bad move either. Especially if we just call him interim head coach and only pay him 450k. You give him a year to see what he can do and if not, you get out of it cheap and can afford to spend money on the next hire

I love how everyone at VN thinks like GOT writers. Fulmer didn’t hire Steele to have a back pocket option for when they Red Wedding Pruitt. They hired Steele because it was a perfect opportunity given the fact we got him on a 2 year contract at chump change due to his firing from Auburn. However, Pruitt had say in this hire and, for once, it was a smart move on his part. He might suck as a HC, but he’s not a dumb, business minded guy. You don’t make it to this level if you don’t know how to play the business game. In other words, JP isn’t going to jump on board hiring the guy who’s set to replace him. JP will be our coach going into next year, this hire pretty much confirms that.
Pruitt isn't a smart guy and has made a bad name for himself for the way he treats assistants. Pruitt is a decent X's and O's coach, I say only decent because he's never done at a level where he's had to build it, it's always been turn key when he got there. Pruitt is a terrible CEO and he certainly isn't business minded.

And lets be perfectly clear, Pruitt is here because by the time we got to where we were there were no other options.

Pruitt might be here next year, I don't know but if Fulmer wants to die on that hill then so be it. UT has lost a generation of fans and it's going to get worse. With Pruitt back the ceiling is 6 wins next year but I'm leaning between the 3-5 win mark

Bingo. If Pruitt stays it's another great defensive coach and recruiter. If he leaves, he can be interim head coach and do his best to prove himself. I believe that we will see DL and OL coaches be hired now. But I still believe it will have no bearing on Pruitt. I think at some point you just have to make hires to make sure the show still goes on. These are critical recruiting times and the 22 class is huge. But the main thing is having a coach who could run the program if Pruitt is gone. I think Steele or Osevet could do that if needed.

i'm ok with it as long as Steele isn't the HC for the 2021 season
He may be if the investigation goes on for much longer. It may be a Matt Luke situation where he starts as interim and then is either demoted or promoted. I could see the investigation running into february, pruitt getting fired and steele taking over to run the 2021 team, basically auditioning for the job and us also interviewing other candidates as well to gauge interest.

Honestly I don’t see it as a bad move either. Especially if we just call him interim head coach and only pay him 450k. You give him a year to see what he can do and if not, you get out of it cheap and can afford to spend money on the next hire
I’m implying when we fire the gump fulmer has the plan to have his buddy Steele as permanent HC

@Atlanta VOL , is there a play here? Is this anything more than Pruitt hiring an assistant, or was Steele led to the thinking he could be interim HC if things go south?

Pruitt isn't a smart guy and has made a bad name for himself for the way he treats assistants. Pruitt is a decent X's and O's coach, I say only decent because he's never done at a level where he's had to build it, it's always been turn key when he got there. Pruitt is a terrible CEO and he certainly isn't business minded.

And lets be perfectly clear, Pruitt is here because by the time we got to where we were there were no other options.

Pruitt might be here next year, I don't know but if Fulmer wants to die on that hill then so be it. UT has lost a generation of fans and it's going to get worse. With Pruitt back the ceiling is 6 wins next year but I'm leaning between the 3-5 win mark
Just because someone treats others wrongly doesn’t mean they aren’t smart. I don’t question Pruitt’s intelligence. I question his leadership and ability to provide us with a sense of calm, but that has nothing to do with intelligence.

And to say we had no other options is incorrect. We had other options. Heck I would have rather we given Steele the keys than Pruitt, at least he had HC experience—albeit bad but at least it’s experience. We had Mike Leach basically signing the dotted line before Davenport pulled the plug. If you think he wouldn’t do a better job than Pruitt, you’re crazy! So we definitely had better options, Fulmer just wanted someone he could micromanage.

Reactions: dlravol2

I agree with you, but go read some of these posts saying this is a behind the scenes coup. Or that is Fulmer already hiring the staff for income head coach [insert name here]. The people that believe this have been watching too much GOT. Perhaps I over generalized when I said “everyone”. My bad!

Edit:
I’ll also add that I don’t think Fulmer did this to have an option in his back pocket. I believe Fulmer is a decent man who loves this university, but he’s a terrible CEO businessman. He’s not looking ahead, it’s all about the here and now, in my opinion.

VN Store

Back