Basilio saying Fulmer/Chaney want a new QB

Not sure what you're going for here, but when game announcers are pointing out that your QB has issues, it's time to address those issues. Past time, actually. This has been a known weakness of JG since Day 1.

We have quality and depth issues in several places on this roster. In some areas (OL, DL), only sustained solid recruiting can fix it. Maybe it's the same at QB, but since we didn't seem to have a problem shuffling the OL to try and find the best option, I see no reason why we shouldn't do it with the QB's as well. One area of apparent strength is our receivers. Let's see who can best get them the ball on time, in space, and in stride.

Go Vols.

I completely agree about addressing the QB issues. My problem comes when people start saying a QBs starting record. It sends the wrong message. It erroneously assumes that a QB is the main reason why a team wins or loses. And thats just not the case.

Yeah I think we know now for sure that he’s FOS. If Chaney wants a different QB it’s one that isn’t on this roster currently.

I have been wondering something. Is it possible that Chaney doesnt really like any of oir QBs? I mean they were here before him and he had ni hand in recruiting or molding them.

Reactions: AM64
IF this is confirmed to be correct, then Pruitt can only blame himself and his stubbornness for his possible failure as the HBC of Tennessee.

Unwilling to consider all options and believing you're right and everyone else is wrong will place you in the unemployment line sooner rather than later.
Maurer looked decent against UTC. But as someone who has said I'd like a QB change, it is plain to see that JG is ahead of the other two. Maurer may be great down the road, but he didn't look anywhere near ready for primetime.

I think it's time to accept our situation. JG is our guy. We are going to win or lose with him. Just how it is unfortunately.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I have been wondering something. Is it possible that Chaney doesnt really like any of oir QBs? I mean they were here before him and he had ni hand in recruiting or molding them.
That's not only possible, but probably likely. Contrast that with his time at Georgia...he recruited and molded Fromm.

Thats what I have been thinking. I guess my question is, does that hinder the play calling in any way? I wouldnt think so but who knows?
Well, any OC's playcalling could be hindered by aspects of his QB's game that he isn't good at, whether you recruited and molded him or not. I think Chaney's offense is definitely limited by what JG is able to do. JG is a one read/one side of the field guy, and he often can't even make his one read.

Impossible to know, but perhaps JG isn't a guy Chaney would have recruited if he were here at the time, or perhaps he would/could have done a better job molding him if he was here.

I completely agree about addressing the QB issues. My problem comes when people start saying a QBs starting record. It sends the wrong message. It erroneously assumes that a QB is the main reason why a team wins or loses. And thats just not the case.

Well, sir...I agree with you about QBs up to a point.

It's very hard to win a championship in football at any level without a very good QB.
And I do agree with the old adage: "a QB usually gets too much credit in wins, and too much blame in losses."

However, in today's game, a team MUST have a very good QB to win.

As an example--and I do confess that this is completely a hypothetical and is open to plenty of criticism---

exchange TAN-0 for Lawrence, Hurts, or Tua at QB for the Vols and IMO we're 3-0 this year.

We've had the guys open all over the field and TAN-0 can't get them the ball for whatever reasons.

GO VOLS! BEAT 'DEM GAY-TUHS.....

Last edited:
I am not saying it is. Just wondering if that has anything to do with his play calling.
Definitely was calling plays to protect the team from JG’s bad play in the BYU game. Chaney’s play calling has been good. We have WRs open downfield; he can’t throw the ball for JG. Protection has been good, run game has been good as well.

Prolly never happened before in his 26 years of coaching. Coaches coach what they got.

Well, sir...I agree with you about QBs up to a point.

It's very hard to win a championship in football at any level without a very good QB.
And I do agree with the old adage: "a QB usually gets too much credit in wins, and too much blame in losses."

However, in today's game, a team MUST have a very good QB to win.

As an example--and I do confess that this is completely a hypothetical and is open to plenty of criticism---

exchange TAN-0 for Lawrence, Hurts, or Tua at QB for the Vols and IMO we're 3-0 this year.

We've had the guys open all over then field and TAN-0 can't get them the ball for whatever reasons.

GO VOLS! BEAT 'DEM GAY-TUHS.....

I can somewhat agree. But we have had great QB play in the past yet havent won jack. As far as switching out the guys you said for JG, you are probably right but I dont know sure. I mean Lawrence didnt play well in Clemsons first game yet they still won by 5TDs. Thats pretty significant.

We havent had that many WRs blowing by DBs like OU, Bama and Clemsons WRs do on a consistent basis. While I agree that a good QB can do wonders, Saban has proven you can win championships with mediocre QB play. We just look at teams now with guys like Tua and TL and assume you need QBs like that. You dont.

I mean I see it from both sides. JG has left at least 4-5 TDs on the field by my count so far this year. Thats quite a bit. And maybe more but thats what I can think of right off the top of my head. And if those were all TDs? We are easily 3-0. Probably. But also, if our defense had played even average, we would likely be 3-0 as well. I mean Georgia State should not have been able to put up over 10 on us. Yet they put up 38. Considering we were 26 pt favorites, thats huge. BYU should have never been in position to go to OT.

But I get your point. Without much better QB play, we are in trouble.

Thats what I have been thinking. I guess my question is, does that hinder the play calling in any way? I wouldnt think so but who knows?

I wouldn't think it would change what Chaney wants to do, but it certainly does change what he can do with the offense. I can't see Chaney just going through the motions because the situation is "hopeless" or deliberately sabotaging offensive play to force change. I really hope he finds some way to maximize what we're stuck with though. At this point, I'd probably even be having walkons and Juan Jennings audition for QB. Every game with JG seems like doing the same ole thing and hoping for different results.

That's been done at every level of football since the beginning of time. We're not going to change the way we discuss football just to make things look better for our current quarterback. Coaches, pitchers, quarterbacks all have a won-loss record. They always have.

QB play is the single most contributing factor to success or lack-there-of on the field. You can scheme around poor play at any other position, except QB.

QB play is the single most contributing factor to success or lack-there-of on the field. You can scheme around poor play at any other position, except QB.
Trent Dilfer was not even an average QB when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. He didn’t have to win the game, his job was not to lose it and let the defense win the game.

Yep. The offense is a system and the QB is the single point of failure. If he's the weak link, then the whole offense suffers or collapses.

Reactions: sjt18
Trent Dilfer was not even an average QB when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. He didn’t have to win the game, his job was not to lose it and let the defense win the game.

We don't have a lot of quality depth on defense - even some of the starters are questionable - several because they are new. If the offense can't stay on the field, then the defense breaks down, too. With good depth on defense, not losing on offense can be a strategy ... just not one for us right now.

A QB's decision making is a primary factor in the performance of the O and wins/losses. That just is the case.

A bad decision by a WR doesn't necessarily kill a play. A RB can do something dumb and the O still succeed. Even an OL can whiff a block and still see the play go for yardage. You can compensate for any other position. But on every play the QB will make decisions and actions that can kill a play. JG's poor decision making and failure to find and hit open receivers is one of the biggest if not the biggest factor in UT's first two losses.

The coaches were afraid to put the game in JG's hands vs GSU... think about that for a bit.

A QB's decision making is a primary factor in the performance of the O and wins/losses. That just is the case.

A bad decision by a WR doesn't necessarily kill a play. A RB can do something dumb and the O still succeed. Even an OL can whiff a block and still see the play go for yardage. You can compensate for any other position. But on every play the QB will make decisions and actions that can kill a play. JG's poor decision making and failure to find and hit open receivers is one of the biggest if not the biggest factor in UT's first two losses.

The coaches were afraid to put the game in JG's hands vs GSU... think about that for a bit.
I don't think JG had an inordinate amount to do with the Georgia St loss (the O line and defense were so bad), but he had a ton to do with the BYU loss.

I don't think JG had an inordinate amount to do with the Georgia St loss (the O line and defense were so bad), but he had a ton to do with the BYU loss.
PURE BS. He was virtually untouched for 3 quarters vs GSU in spite of them stupidly playing musical chairs with the OL. He missed one open receiver after another... and threw some really bad balls. He is responsible for the start of the game and setting GSU up with a short field.

The D wasn't good... but they shouldn't have been shouldering the burden in that game. If he'd hit the open plays, it would have been over by half time. JG is the main thing that kept GSU in the game.

PURE BS. He was virtually untouched for 3 quarters vs GSU in spite of them stupidly playing musical chairs with the OL. He missed one open receiver after another... and threw some really bad balls. He is responsible for the start of the game and setting GSU up with a short field.

The D wasn't good... but they shouldn't have been shouldering the burden in that game. If he'd hit the open plays, it would have been over by half time. JG is the main thing that kept GSU in the game.
Defense gave up 38 to Georgia St. Georgia State. 7 of the 38 was because of a short field. Backs rushed for 3 YPC and 93 yards total, 31 of which came on one carry. The offensive line play and defensive play was as bad as I've ever seen.

I never said he played good. Nobody played good. I said he didn't have an inordinate amount to do with the loss. He did had an inordinate amount to do with the loss to BYU.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol

VN Store

Back