Baseball Stadium Construction Race

fryeguy93

Rufus X. Sarsaparilli
Florida breaks ground on $65M baseball stadium

We are throwing a lot of money now at a stadium that I don't think can ever be brought up to level of our peers in the SEC East (maybe except Mizzou and Vandy)

If we feel the need to compete, do we throw all this recently spent money away and start all over again.

Florida's stadium was never as nice as you would think it should be and it appears they have come to grips with that.

I though sharing a stadium with minor league team may be most economical bet and would encourage more attendance even if off campus. Randy Boyd would likely let UT use quite cheaply to push pedestrians and fans to his Old City restaurants and businesses. The old LN could be practice or intramural facility or better still, be used to construct a much needed indoor track.

Another thought is building a new grandstand behind centerfield and flipping the field. The top level of current grandstand could be removed leaving the lower level (sans premium seats) as pretty great outfield seats for student or other seats.

Any new stadium needs to be single level with more seating down the lines rather than an upper deck. More suites and better media areas above that level. And an actualy roof over much of the grandstand.

Last edited:
Reactions: sport3500
Cannot flip field because of sun. We don't need a stadium any bigger than 5,000. We will not fill it up. As far as using a new minor league facility, I'm all for it, but I can tell you first hand that the old "powers that be" wanted nothing to do with an off-campus facility. Maybe Fulmer has a different take on it. Suites will not work at UT, we tried it once. And no one offered to buy one. Not one. Chances of stadium staying put are 80%. Probably see a re-do of the press box in the near term. Nothing other than that for the next 10 years. We are not losing recruits because of the current stadium. The stuff you don't see (under the stadium) for player development is top notch. That is what the recruits and players care about. My opinion.....

Cannot flip field because of sun. We don't need a stadium any bigger than 5,000. We will not fill it up. As far as using a new minor league facility, I'm all for it, but I can tell you first hand that the old "powers that be" wanted nothing to do with an off-campus facility. Maybe Fulmer has a different take on it. Suites will not work at UT, we tried it once. And no one offered to buy one. Not one. Chances of stadium staying put are 80%. Probably see a re-do of the press box in the near term. Nothing other than that for the next 10 years. We are not losing recruits because of the current stadium. The stuff you don't see (under the stadium) for player development is top notch. That is what the recruits and players care about. My opinion.....
Let me ask you this? When CTV builds this into a winner. Will the fans come with it? It’s been such a bad product since 2005. I’d hope when the winning comes the fans come with it.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Let me ask you this? When CTV builds this into a winner. Will the fans come with it? It’s been such a bad product since 2005. I’d hope when the winning comes the fans come with it.

Therein lies the problem: when there's a down year. You willing to have 1200 in a 5000 seat stadium when there's a down year? The most we had last weekend was 1523 on Saturday, out of 4283. I'd rather have 3500 max and still be sorta full than have a gigantic stadium that's bare.

I wasn’t there last week but that isn’t a bad crowd the way the weather looked, and the fact it wasn’t a big named opponent.

VN Store

Back