Baseball America Preseason Rankings - 2006

chipcwmddh

Seven SEC Teams On Baseball America Pre-Season Poll

01/05/2006

DURHAM, N.C. -- Defending national champion Texas begins 2006 right back atop the rankings, a preseason spot the Longhorns have held four previous times, but not since 1987.

Five more teams that advanced to the 2005 College World Series begin this season ranked, starting with runner-up Florida at No. 3. The Gators haven't debuted this high since 1992. Oregon State makes its first preseason Top 25 ever, starting at No. 8 after notching a school-record 46 wins a year ago.

No. 17 Arizona State begins the year ranked for the 20th consecutive season; the longest streak in the nation began in 1987. Stanford had been ranked in every preseason Top 25 since 1981, a run that ended this year. Louisiana State is ranked for the 17th straight season, though its No. 20 spot represents its lowest since it began 1989 unranked.

North Carolina's No. 6 ranking is its highest preseason mark since it was No. 4 before the 1984 season. Tennessee's No. 9 ranking marks its highest preseason standing since debuting sixth in 1996.

Missouri opens at No. 10, making it the second time the Tigers have debuted in the Top 25 and first time since they were No. 19 in 1983. No. 19 Texas Christian earns a preseason ranking for the second consecutive season and second time in history after opening at No. 21 in 2005.

The staff of Baseball America determines the Top 25 rankings. Records indicated are 2005 final records and do not include ties.

Team W-L Final
1. Texas 56-16 1
2. Clemson 43-23 14
3. Florida 48-23 2
4. Georgia Tech 45-19 11
5. Cal State Fullerton 46-18 9
6. North Carolina 41-19 NR
7. Rice 45-19 13
8. Oregon State 46-12 7
9. Tennessee 46-21 8
10. Missouri 40-23 21
11. Pepperdine 41-23 24
12. Tulane 56-12 3
13. Mississippi State 42-22 22
14. South Carolina 41-23 25
15. Florida State 53-20 16
16. Arizona State 42-25 6
17. Southern California 41-22 17
18. Arkansas 39-22 NR
19. Texas Christian 41-20 NR
20. Louisiana State 40-22 18
21. Fresno State 30-29 NR
22. Long Beach State 37-22 19
23. Mississippi 48-20 10
24. North Carolina State 41-19 NR
25. California 34-23 NR
The highest UT preseason ranking in 10 years. That's pretty exciting.

(vol_freak @ Jan 13 said:
Great news!
It's also pretty impressive for the SEC as a whole to have 7 teams in the preseason top 25. It's never too early to make a WAG. But, I think the SEC will probably lead the nation in RPI this year.

I don't like being a naysayer all the time, and of course I am proud that Florida is highly regarded. But I have to say that I do not find college baseball all that interesting. The scores are outrageous: 23-4. I personally do not believe its all aluminum bats. That's part of it, I'm sure, but I really think its because any 18 year old with a decent pitching arm gets drafted and instead of going to college they get into an MLB farm system. The pitching in college baseball, overall, is horrific.

(lawgator1 @ Jan 13 said:
I don't like being a naysayer all the time, and of course I am proud that Florida is highly regarded. But I have to say that I do not find college baseball all that interesting. The scores are outrageous: 23-4. I personally do not believe its all aluminum bats. That's part of it, I'm sure, but I really think its because any 18 year old with a decent pitching arm gets drafted and instead of going to college they get into an MLB farm system. The pitching in college baseball, overall, is horrific.

See Roger Clemens, Tim Hudson, Mark Prior, more recently our own Luke Hochevar.

I know those are only a few, but the truth is, many 18 year olds with decent arms do go to college where they become great pitchers.

Sure, a high schooler with a decent arm may be drafted, but in what round? Not all drafted players sign.

Many great pitchers in HS go to college to up their stock for their junior year.

If you look in the best conferences in the nation you will see many, many, dominant pitchers, of equal or greater talent than those playing in the low professional ranks.

You really only see those 23-4 scores when you have a team like Florida playing Morehead state. Rarely will you see a score like that on Friday or Saturday night during SEC conference play, metal bats or not.

JMO

(lawgator1 @ Jan 13 said:

Absolutely agree.

The aluminum bats are enough for me.

I love college baseball. I love baseball period. but really not all pitchers get drafted straight out of highschool and because they do doesnt mean they have to go to there. texas seems to always get great pitchers... like i said i am just a big baseball fan period, favorite sport........

We are returning several starters, plus picked up some good prospects. Hopefully we will have a good team this year also. I would like to see us make it back to CWS again. Winning SEC would be great also.

Don't forget James Adkins. That kid can flat pitch. Also, Arencibia is is the best all around catcher I've seen in a long time. These guys can play baseball, they just want to live that college experience, and as others have said, up their draft stock. SEC baseball is second to none. The conference is up there /w the ACC imho.

a question to ponder...Everyone knows catchers have to have better than average eye/hand coordination to see the ball coming in, and yes they know roughly where its gonna be but they get suprised and have to adjust. That and they're usually big guys....so why arent more catchers big number power hitters? Oh yeah...Go Vols!

I've always thought it was because catching takes such a toll on a player's body. Those guys take a beating.

I don't really follow college or even MLB baseball much but great to hear UT is in the top 10!

(GAVol @ Jan 14 said:
I've always thought it was because catching takes such a toll on a player's body. Those guys take a beating.

The reason many catchers dont put up the numbers as say, a first basemen/ right fielder, is because of the amount of time you have to put into catching. Blocking dirt balls, bunt defenses, throws, plays, every quirk of every pitcher on the staff, etc.

Obviously one aspect of the game has to fall. Hitting being that aspect in most cases. Scouts put more of an emphasis on the defensive part of catching. A good hitter with power is a plus.

Also, you stated that their bodies get beat up catching, I completely agree with that.

Another thing, speed is a factor in hitting, most catchers lack speed (for lack of a better phrase)

As far as Arencibia, we have a stud in having a good catcher and a plus-plus hitter.

JMO

VN Store

Back