BAseball America Bubble? Gotta get 2 from OM.

Vol B-Ball 643

The tournament bubble is a little less muddled and far more lacking on good candidates. After last year making a big deal of limiting the number of at-large bids that were awarded to teams with losing records, the selection committee may be hard-pressed to make such a claim this year. With few mid-major teams combining the RPI and strong position in their conference standings typically needed for at-large bids, the committee is likely going to have to turn to Power Five teams with subpar conference records.

That isn’t helped by Auburn (13-14) and Tennessee (12-15) currently ranking in the top 20 in RPI with losing records in the SEC. They’re both in here but need to do something this weekend—in Auburn’s case that probably means not getting swept at LSU and Tennessee needs a series win against Ole Miss—or else they’ll go to Hoover with serious work to do. As a guide, Texas A&M went 13-17 last year during the regular season but made it all the way to the SEC Tournament semifinals to earn a bid.

No SEC team has ever gotten in with 12 conference wins, and no team has ever been left out with a top 15 RPI.

With one win, UT will have 13 wins and a top 15 RPI. Obviously I want as many wins as we can get where there is no doubt, but given how weak the bubble is, I think one win this weekend gets it done.

No SEC team has ever gotten in with 12 conference wins, and no team has ever been left out with a top 15 RPI.

With one win, UT will have 13 wins and a top 15 RPI. Obviously I want as many wins as we can get where there is no doubt, but given how weak the bubble is, I think one win this weekend gets it done.

I agree. At some point, you have to evaluate teams on their own. The SEC is the toughest conference in the country. UT is 24-2 outside of that conference. They are good enough to be a tournament team.

Of our 17 losses, 8 are likely to Top 8 seeds. 6 more to NCAA tournament teams, with one being a team that likely wins their conference (Fresno St).

That leaves 3 losses- USCe (Won series), UF (Won series), and ETSU (only bad loss). If we win a game this weekend I don’t see how you could leave us out. I would say the same thing if it was any other SEC team. Hopefully we win two this weekend and leave no doubt.

I agree. At some point, you have to evaluate teams on their own. The SEC is the toughest conference in the country. UT is 24-2 outside of that conference. They are good enough to be a tournament team.
You’re spot on. If they leave UT out they are sending a message that RPI , non con and strength of schedule are meaningless. 10 in RPI, strength of schedule top 5 (it’s fluid) and 24-2 include 5 wins against RPI top 50 teams (Indiana and Fresno St)

Of our 17 losses, 8 are likely to Top 8 seeds. 6 more to NCAA tournament teams, with one being a team that likely wins their conference (Fresno St).

That leaves 3 losses- USCe (Won series), UF (Won series), and ETSU (only bad loss). If we win a game this weekend I don’t see how you could leave us out. I would say the same thing if it was any other SEC team. Hopefully we win two this weekend and leave no doubt.

31 should be on the selection committee.

Reactions: RollerVol
You’re spot on. If they leave UT out they are sending a message that RPI , non con and strength of schedule are meaningless. 10 in RPI, strength of schedule top 5 (it’s fluid) and 24-2 include 5 wins against RPI top 50 teams (Indiana and Fresno St)
If you have seen this team play in person they deserve to be in the field of teams.

There is no way UT doesnt snag a 2 seed, with a top right now top 10 RPI, and wont drop below 15 with 2 straight losses with game 3 vs Ole Miss and first game at the SEC tourney. Would still be top 5 schedule, 17 and 17 against Quad 1 teams, and 24 and 2 in the NC. 5 and 1 against Freso St and Indiana. No way UT doesnt have a top 32 resume, much less could be in the discussion to have a top 25 resume with 2 lossed to end the regular season.

Indiana swept Rutgers. They win the Big 10 Regular Season Title.

Fresno State swept their final series and finished as the MWC Regular Season Champions.

Liberty is going to finish 2nd in the ASUN, but currently has an RPI of 53.

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back