Barry Dabney-DT from Brentwood, TN

Dawson, some of that could be that he needs a Div I strength and conditioning program, it is encouraging that he didnt give up ground.

I saw the kid play. While he did stand out a bit, I am unsure if he is SEC quality. Wish he was taller. I never saw him get pushed around and he stuffed the run at the line several times but he never made a push into the backfield.

I see that a lot with kids from this area. Though probably not the case a BA many of these kids in TN are taught to play this way on the D line and it drives me crazy! I had a coach on my sons high school football team tell his kids to shoot their arms and stand up the O line until they located the ball, they should not take one step forward until they located the ball! Crazy, I was always taught penetrate and maintain you lane, locate ball, crush them.

KB and Rex. I agree with you both. The last real dominate HS DL we had in the midstate area was John Henderson. Dont know what he was taught but he would just push guys over. I saw him knock the center into the QB for a sack one time.

Im not looking for that DL that makes sacks, I will leave that to our DEs and LBs, what I would like is pressure from the DL so that they cant double our DEs. If we have a DL that can penetrate and cause the run to be either bounced outside or stuffed, our fast LBs will take care of business then.

So, back to Dabney, either he needs to be taught better or get a little stronger. He definately didnt get pushed around which is good. Just like to see him explode into the backfield more.

KB and Rex. I agree with you both. The last real dominate HS DL we had in the midstate area was John Henderson. Dont know what he was taught but he would just push guys over. I saw him knock the center into the QB for a sack one time.

Im not looking for that DL that makes sacks, I will leave that to our DEs and LBs, what I would like is pressure from the DL so that they cant double our DEs. If we have a DL that can penetrate and cause the run to be either bounced outside or stuffed, our fast LBs will take care of business then.

So, back to Dabney, either he needs to be taught better or get a little stronger. He definately didnt get pushed around which is good. Just like to see him explode into the backfield more.

where did he go to HS?

It wasnt that long ago. You are either young or havent lived in Middle Tennessee that long. He rulled when he was in highschool.

Got to like his SAT scores. ACT not so much.

Actually I think that is a 3 part SAT score; so it would not be as impressive as it first appears. I suppose the analytical test has been added on to the math and verbal on standardized tests. Instead of 1600, the perfect score is 2400.

VN Store

Back