Barnes vs Pearl

The question is whether he is the best possible coach we can get. I would bet very few think he is

The PROBLEM is...while you are off trying to make the best possible hire, you can let a damn good hire get away. Timing, as they say, is everything.

If one of our competitors goes full bore for Barnes while we're off dicking around with candidates who likely aren't serious about us, then the outcome could be bad for us. Then we wind up with our 3rd, 4th, or 6th choice (Jerry Green says hi!).

Reactions: 1 person
Nobody can deny Barnes success as far as recruiting goes. Year in and year out he secures a top rated class. You lost me at "truly great coach" though. He brings in all of these great classes, yet rarely has a deep run in the tourney. He is a underachiever, especially over the last few years.

One could argue just about any decent coach could do what Barnes has done at Texas over his tenure. It's not that hard to recruit to Texas and get them dancing. Barnes has an impressive resume overall, but I'm not sure he has the fire and passion required to rebuild a program. I'm just not sure he has enough left in the tank. He was fired after all, even after doing all that he's done at Texas over all of these years. He is past his prime and a little washed up. There is a perfectly good reason he was let go, and all of this is why. If he was so great, he'd still be at Texas.

We could do far worse than hiring Barnes, but he's definitely not a long-term solution. I'm sure he could come in and get some decent talent on the hill, and hold the fort down until we hire another coach. He would leave the program in better shape than he found it.

Last edited:
Tennessee basketball is a very strong program. It has to be to still be alive with the administration, past coaches, etc trying their damn best to kill it........

Ive lived in San Antonio, even though its been a few years ago, Texas basketball isn't all that important to Texas people. It draws pretty well but its the only game in Austin (about 3x the size as Knoxville). Texas fans didn't live or die with it while I was there. Houston and Dallas are the big cities they recruit from, both considerably larger than any city in Tennessee.

Barnes would do well here recruiting and he'd set a good face on the program. One that desperately needs a good face. JMO

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
It's because he is the most successful coach we have had in decades and everyone puts him on a pedestal. It was just for comparison sake, man. To show that Barnes isn't as terrible as people are making him sound. His 600+ wins plus 20+ tourney appearances speak for itself.
Pearl is a cheater just like Donnie!!!!!!!!!!!

With the name removed, his resume alone is more than we could have ever hoped when this search started. If you told us we'd have someone who:

Had Final Four experience
Consistently put guys in the league
Was well-respected and consistently ran a clean program
Has multiple past championships from a power 5 conference
Is considered a strong recruiter
Has a strong winning % in a power 5 conference

All of us would be jumping for joy, but because it's a guy who Texas just let go and who is older, suddenly all that doesn't matter. You all do realize what type of guys have been on our radar during past coaching searches right? Compared to a Cuonzo Martin hire, this is HUGE for a program that has a very limited history of success in basketball.

Reactions: 3 people
I
From 2005-2011: Barnes made it to 2 elite 8's
From 2005-2011: Pearl made it to 1 elite 8.

During that 6 year span Barnes averaged.

Barnes: 27 wins and 9 loses
Pearl: 24 wins 10 loses

Players drafted in that 6 year span...

Barnes 12 (4 lottery picks)
Lamarcus Aldridge
PJ Tucker
Daniel Gibson
Kevin Durant
DJ Augustin
Avery Bradley
Damion Jones
Trevor Booker
Dexter Pittman
Tristan Thompson
Jordan Hamilton
Cory Joseph

Pearl 2
CJ Watson
Tobias Harris

No offense, but comparing what they did head to head in that time period is an awful comparison to say the least. That 6 season time period you're comparing, Barnes had already had 7 seasons to set up shop. By Pearl's 1st season with Tennessee, it was Barnes 8th season with Texas. And not only did Barnes have the advantage of his current players having already played underneath him, he could also sell recruits on what he's done the past 7 seasons at Texas. In Pearl's early years, none of his players had ever played under him and as for recruiting, Pearl had to sell them on his time at UW-Milwaukee. If you want to compare them head to head, compare Barnes first 6 seasons at Texas... don't point out he was more successful after his 7th season at Texas than Pearl was in his only 6 seasons with Tennessee. That makes no sense.

With that being said, Barnes would have been in my top 5 probably. Maybe top 3. I have no problem with the hire. Just pointing out that the comparison isn't legit.

Last edited:
No offense, but comparing what they did head to head in that time period is an awful comparison to say the least. That 6 season time period you're comparing, Barnes had already had 7 seasons to set up shop. By Pearl's 1st season with Tennessee, it was Barnes 8th season with Texas. And not only did Barnes have the advantage of his current players having already played underneath him, he could also sell recruits on what he's done the past 7 seasons at Texas. In Pearl's early years, none of his players had ever played under him and as for recruiting, Pearl had to sell them on his time at UW-Milwaukee. If you want to compare them head to head, compare Barnes first 6 seasons at Texas... don't point out he was more successful after his 7th season at Texas than Pearl was in his only 6 seasons with Tennessee. That makes no sense.

With that being said, Barnes would have been in my top 5 probably. Maybe top 3. I have no problem with the hire. Just pointing out that the comparison isn't legit.
It's more fair than comparing Barnes first 6 years at Texas wouldn't you say? Barnes has a final 4 trip in year 6 at Texas.

I see too much similarity between the end of Barnes' run and Fulmer's run. Both great coaches, but seem to lose their passion and fire at the end. I don't think Barnes would be a bad hire, but I would like a lot of the others on our list more.

Barnes did not have a losing record in 2 out of his last 3 years? I do not see the comparison.

Reactions: 1 person
So, I gather from reading posts for the past 20 minutes, same as always...20% think it will be a good hire, 20% think it's a bad hire, 10% think we will be in the Final Four next season, 10% think it's the beginning of the death of UT BBall and 20% think noone other than Bruce can be successful as coach at Tennessee and if Hart doesn't bring him back, he should be fired.

Just so you know, Bill Battle is meeting with Gregg Marshall today for Alabama, yet we can't even get an interview

Marshall would have met with TN. He told TN what it would take and TN said no point in meeting. Bama said I'll see you tomorrow.

I think it might be more fair or comparable to examine Barnes' first 6yrs at Texas vs. Pearl's first 6 at UT, since that would equilibrate that both of their first 6yrs after taking over a new program. Since, as of 2005, Barnes had an established machine at Texas.

But, overall, good post attempting to get across a good point. Anyone bummed about Barnes is crazy. The change of scenery effect is real. Look at what Andy Reid is doing in KC after being "washed up" in Philly.

Just so you know, Bill Battle is meeting with Gregg Marshall today for Alabama, yet we can't even get an interview

He gave us two interviews, and we hired Michael Jordan's roommate and a cheater instead.

If he goes to Bama, though, I think he's making a mistake.

I wonder if anyone on here has ever been fired from a job and then just gave up and quit on life. Barnes will work hard to make UT a winner...maybe not UsuK or Dook, but respectable.

NO coach flocked towards this position when Pearl left. NO up-and-comers had the confidence to come here and keep up Bruce's 'dynasty', but UT fans seemed to think they would and would be crazy to turn UT down. Shaka Smart and Gary Marshall have avoided UT but they seem to be gravitating to other programs....I wonder why? #1-UT is not a desirable job and #2-until the powers-that-be let go of some football cash it will always be like UsuK's BBall and Football programs only in reverse. GO VOLS

Reactions: 3 people
I wonder if anyone on here has ever been fired from a job and then just gave up and quit on life. Barnes will work hard to make UT a winner...maybe not UsuK or Dook, but respectable.

NO coach flocked towards this position when Pearl left. NO up-and-comers had the confidence to come here and keep up Bruce's 'dynasty', but UT fans seemed to think they would and would be crazy to turn UT down. Shaka Smart and Gary Marshall have avoided UT but they seem to be gravitating to other programs....I wonder why? #1-UT is not a desirable job and #2-until the powers-that-be let go of some football cash it will always be like UsuK's BBall and Football programs only in reverse. GO VOLS[/QUOTyE]

Kind of interesting that Pearl, Cuonzo, and Barnes have all been able to witness TBA from the opposing bench and then (apparently with CRB) decided to come here. The up and comers don't understand the potential or, like you said, lack the confidence to be successful. Smart and Marshall are savy enough to know that they can stay where they are and not get knocked off of their mid-major perch by facing Power 5 coaches and rosters every week. If either of those two leave their cushy spots they are cashing out... not moving because they will continue to win consistently.

I,m happy with the Barnes hire but i would never compare him with Pearl .Bruce done a better job with a lot less talent.i would have cut bruce salery and kept him employed at UT during his showcause penelty .He is a young enthuseastic and energetic young coach.Auburn will win the sec in the next 3 years even with ky and texas a&m bringing in higher ranked classes.I just hope Barnes can get us winning 20 to 22 games a year and get us back in tourney on regular bases and get program going in right direction .So maby we can recruit and become relevent again.And i think he can with the way memphis has regressed might be able to pull more 5 stars from memphis.I really hated the martin hire his style of play was not very fun to watch and at times downright boreing UT at GEORGETOWN for example and tyndal should have never been hired. Only reason hart still has a job is the Butch Jones hire seems to have been a home run.

We had two interviews with him but turned him down twice.

If I were Greg Marshall I'd tell Tennessee to stick their program up their ass so far their eyes burst out. And I love Tennessee basketball. Hell would freeze over before I'd interview with them for $5 million. At some point you tell people, I don't interview. If you want what I do, hire me, if you want to talk, waste someone else's time. I did that once. Got the job next morning for more than I expected. Greg Marshall is there now. He don't need to interview for anyone. He needs to interview them.

Texas did boat race Bruce in NY once I recall.

We have no clue how good Tennessee can recruit when they put their mind to it. Bruce was just starting to get a national rep when his issues hit. Martin was too lazy and DT didn't have a chance. Maybe Barnes will hire a top level guy and get serious. I still think it's the most underutilized program on campus

Last edited:
If I were Greg Marshall I'd tell Tennessee to stick their program up their ass so far their eyes burst out. And I love Tennessee basketball. Hell would freeze over before I'd interview with them for $5 million. At some point you tell people, I don't interview. If you want what I do, hire me, if you want to talk, waste someone else's time. I did that once. Got the job next morning for more than I expected. Greg Marshall is there now. He don't need to interview for anyone. He needs to interview them.

Texas did boat race Bruce in NY once I recall.

We have no clue how good Tennessee can recruit when they put their mind to it. Bruce was just starting to get a national rep when his issues hit. Martin was too lazy and DT didn't have a chance. Maybe Barnes will hire a top level guy and get serious. I still think it's the most underutilized program on campus
To UT's defense the first time Marshall interviewed they chose Pearl over him. The 2nd time was before he made his final 4 run.

VN Store

Back