Barnes pushed players into new roles, out of their comfort zones this summer

kamoshika

The fourth-year Tennessee coach spent the summer on a mission to create discomfort and improvement to build that roster. There’s a spotlight on this sixth-ranked Tennessee team going into this season and Barnes dropped a spotlight on individuals who might normally duck it. That’s where telling Bone – his speedy, but often deferring point guard – to light up the scoreboard came into action. Another time, he put Bone at center. He made Williams play point guard, having the reigning SEC player of the year bring the ball up the court. UT coaches often singled out specific players as the only ones allowed to shoot on a given possession. They experimented with different lineups, which Barnes said was possible – even fun – to do with an experienced roster.

And there was no hiding through any of it. “When I think of what coach means when he says hide, we have some guys who have more a shy personality and don’t want to be in the main role,” said guard Lamonte Turner, UT’s leader in 3-pointers last season and the SEC’s co-sixth man of the year. “Coach wants 15 guys who want to be in the main role. He wants everybody to want to be the man. He wants everybody to be confident and be able to make a shot when we need it.”

How Rick Barnes forced UT Vols basketball to be uncomfortable in offseason

It’s an early Christmas miracle, Knox News has something worth reading.

As crazy as it sounds Bone guarding the other teams 5 and GW bring the ball up, that will probably be a scenario at some point in the season.

Gahh, that was pretty interesting and well written without the journo-self-aggrandizing. Maybe someone at KNS is awake after all.

The fourth-year Tennessee coach spent the summer on a mission to create discomfort and improvement to build that roster. There’s a spotlight on this sixth-ranked Tennessee team going into this season and Barnes dropped a spotlight on individuals who might normally duck it. That’s where telling Bone – his speedy, but often deferring point guard – to light up the scoreboard came into action. Another time, he put Bone at center. He made Williams play point guard, having the reigning SEC player of the year bring the ball up the court. UT coaches often singled out specific players as the only ones allowed to shoot on a given possession. They experimented with different lineups, which Barnes said was possible – even fun – to do with an experienced roster.

And there was no hiding through any of it. “When I think of what coach means when he says hide, we have some guys who have more a shy personality and don’t want to be in the main role,” said guard Lamonte Turner, UT’s leader in 3-pointers last season and the SEC’s co-sixth man of the year. “Coach wants 15 guys who want to be in the main role. He wants everybody to want to be the man. He wants everybody to be confident and be able to make a shot when we need it.”
How Rick Barnes forced UT Vols basketball to be uncomfortable in offseason

That's awesome! Thanks for the link.

Williams will never be a viable PG at UT, but making him play/practice there should accelerate his progress at the wing.

I was hoping to see Admiral running the point some. Grant did a good job brining the ball up.
I had tickets on first row and he and Pons are freaks.

Remember this article? One might consider it prophetic. I think he's got about 6 guys on this roster capable when called upon to take the game on their shoulders and lead the way to victory. Hard to scheme for in March.

Remember this article? One might consider it prophetic. I think he's got about 6 guys on this roster capable when called upon to take the game on their shoulders and lead the way to victory. Hard to scheme for in March.

Wow this is practically what happened tonight.

VN Store

Back