Barnes/Officiating Debate

Didn't Pop get ejected though? Lol. Not sure that is what "allowed" means.

I would compare Richt to Coach Cal even though Cal has a title. No one has done less with more than Cal.....

Think he has had 27 first round picks since UK and only 1 title in 10 years..... Not exactly the UK way...
I compared Barnes to Richt not just for team performance, but also because they are both devout Christians who at times have essentially been called "too nice" to be head coaches at big time schools. I agree that Barnes this year and last didn't follow the Richt mold - Barnes's Tennessee teams haven't been highly recruited. However, his Texas teams were, and despite this year's team not having been highly recruited, it still had lofty expectations because he brought back an entire high-achieving team from last year.

Personally I don't think Cal is as overrated as some think, but that's another convo.

I compared Barnes to Richt not just for team performance, but also because they are both devout Christians who at times have essentially been called "too nice" to be head coaches at big time schools. I agree that Barnes this year and last didn't follow the Richt mold - Barnes's Tennessee teams haven't been highly recruited. However, his Texas teams were, and despite this year's team not having been highly recruited, it still had lofty expectations because he brought back an entire high-achieving team from last year.

Personally I don't think Cal is as overrated as some think, but that's another convo.
Gotcha. Makes sense.

The five second throw in could have probably been reversed (Right?) You can't reverse a foul and getting a technical would only make things worse. The only other thing was that maybe look at where he stepped out, but I don't think any of us noticed that till after the fact. I just don't understand how getting a technical would help any matters there.

Yes there were many botched calls. Canā€™t redo it now, but it stings because this final four is very favorable.

Reactions: JCP201
Didn't Pop get ejected though? Lol. Not sure that is what "allowed" means.
This is the one logical gap in what he tweetedšŸ˜‚ but coaches like will wade, calipari, and Kermit Davis made a$$es of themselves all season and never got thrown

Last edited:
Reactions: BisonVol and Jonboy
I think Rick Barnes (and Phil Fulmer) was too soft on the entire Anthony Jordan situation......

Iā€™ve never seen a comma used in place of an apostrophe in my life. Kudos for that.
Maybe you should step in and auto correct all his mistakes. Maybe it would make you feel better about yourself.

He was smart to stay quiet on the Turner foul. It was a bum foul but had he gotten a technical they wouldā€™ve gotten even more chances to put the game away with more free throws. They werenā€™t going to reverse the call anyway, they didnā€™t even review it.

Which leads me into the point of why do we even have replay in college basketball if we aren't reviewing calls that matter?

The refs are part of the game now more than ever. As such, knowing them individually and how to influence their calls is part of the game and coaching. It is what it is until a better system is developed.

We have no idea what he did or didn't do.
Behind the scenes is where that ordeal took place and the sec hasn't let him call any more games so I'd say they got something done behind those scenes
Never let facts get in the way of a good storyline

From a fan's perspective, I remember loving Bruce getting T'd up during his time here. It was motivational for the team, and I don't remember that costing us any games. I think there are times when he should go off, and times he's smart to stay quiet, I don't know...

Going out on a limb and saying an extra FT would have almost definitely ended the game right there.

Reactions: BisonVol
Never let facts get in the way of a good storyline

Or maybe the fact that ADs don't publicly speak up is why you see a situation like you do in football (The Director of Officials is a Bama guy, his office staff and football officials have a disproportionate amount of Alabama ties).....

I don't disagree with @BruinVol but I think Fulmer could have come out stronger publicly especially since he had all the PR leverage there.

Barnes works the refs. If you watch him, he is constantly talking to them. He does it so he doesn,t show up the refs. Now is that best way to do it. I don,t know.
I think it works just fine. A T at the end of the game the other day would have sealed a win in regulation for Purdue. They had already been given shots to tie, why just hand them the game? Who knows, had they gone up one with 1.7 left Barnes may have come unglued when he thought the game was lost? I think he played it correctly, I like a calm coach.

Wish we had some more positive posts about our coach about now. If we want to attract big name recruits, we need to accentuate the image that casts CRB in the best light. We just finished 2 consecutive successful seasons and are headed in the right direction with 2 top 100 recruits signed or committed. We bring in top talent and whether our coach is calm or soft with officials becomes a non-issue, which it probably is now. Sometimes I think we're our own worst enemy when we seize on storylines that breed controversy where there really isn't any.

Lots of comments in admiration of Pearl recently. I don't dislike Bruce Pearl, but he's Auburn's coach now. As much as I liked him when he was our coach, I don't want him to be successful now. I was hoping he would get busted in the Chuck Person scandal so that we could get some of those high grade recruits he's been getting. But it looks like our own success is finally turning some of them in the direction of giving us a look now. If we could finish off a season at 31-6 with no higher than 3 star talent, imagine what it would mean if we being drawing 4 and 5 star talent here. For the life of me, I don't understand why we have turned so sour over an OT loss in the Sweet 16 over a foul call that couldn't be changed if Barnes jumped all up in the ref's hind end.

Reactions: LibertyVol
I think it works just fine. A T at the end of the game the other day would have sealed a win in regulation for Purdue. They had already been given shots to tie, why just hand them the game? Who knows, had they gone up one with 1.7 left Barnes may have come unglued when he thought the game was lost? I think he played it correctly, I like a calm coach.

From my experience coaching at a much lower level (middle school and AAU). There are some refs that if you get on them, you won't get another call the rest of the day and maybe never again. There are some refs that if you work them, you will get several favorable calls in a row. I'll trust that Barnes and his staff knows the best way to work the refs that are being assigned to UT game.

Or maybe the fact that ADs don't publicly speak up is why you see a situation like you do in football (The Director of Officials is a Bama guy, his office staff and football officials have a disproportionate amount of Alabama ties).....

I don't disagree with @BruinVol but I think Fulmer could have come out stronger publicly especially since he had all the PR leverage there.

Fulmer nor Barnes needed to address that publically. It got plenty of run in those circles without either getting dirty. If they made a point to address it with the conference it apparently worked.

Reactions: LibertyVol
I hope next year he goes out there and gets T'd up every single game. Just go out there and punch a ref before the game starts so that they know what's up and that he isn't "soft". I also want him to whine after every single game when the calls don't go his way. Whatever he can do to make and ass out of himself and UT do it please.
Yes! Finally somebody gets it. Great idea!

He hasnt been at a UT game since. What more can be done?

VN Store

Back