Barnes needs to get tougher with refs

1960VFL

I love Rick Barnes, I think he has done a terrific job at UT and I hope he hangs around a long time. But, the LSU game and the end of last night’s Purdue game show that he needs to show more passion - and anger - when the refs have made game changing erroneous calls! He needs to show the players that he has their back, that all their hard work should not be taken away by a ref who isn’t doing his job! Getting a technical here and there goes along way with players - shows the coach truly cares about them and will not let them be pushed around by the guys in stripes! Stop being such a softy Rick!!!!

Reactions: 08Vol
I love Rick Barnes, I think he has done a terrific job at UT and I hope he hangs around a long time. But, the LSU game and the end of last night’s Purdue game show that he needs to show more passion - and anger - when the refs have made game changing erroneous calls! He needs to show the players that he has their back, that all their hard work should not be taken away by a ref who isn’t doing his job! Getting a technical here and there goes along way with players - shows the coach truly cares about them and will not let them be pushed around by the guys in stripes! Stop being such a softy Rick!!!!

Apparently, he went after the officials after the LSU game and was told to move on. He’s a good Christian man, so he’s going to remain professional. He’s also on the rules committee, so again, he is going to remain professional.

He was working the refs pretty hard last night. If you didnt see it you were to busy drinking and tweeting

It is amazing how people think that for a coach to be working the refs, the coach has to go full Bob Knight. As a former official, the coaches that have class about "working" me, got my respect. The ones that tried to "show me up", got more scrutiny.

yea but if he does then he will be known as a whiner and that could hurt recruiting

On a related issue, i looked at the foul shots total. In the UT/Purdue game there was a total of 61 foul shots attempted. In the immediate game after VA/OR a total of 13 foul shot attempts. Is that not a very large discrepancy in how the two different games were called or the two later teams just do foul? I found the difference very large. Any thought.
We get more cheap fouls called than any team I have watched.

Reactions: utvolkyle
Fulkerson gets hosed and abused constantly , Iowa guard shoves him 3 times and he extends his arm the call is dbl foul top key
this was height of officiating incompetence ………...……………..GO VOLS

And they even reviewed it. Unbelievable the kid who intentionally shoved a guy TWICE, gets nothing more than the guy who bumps him once.

Rick has a great feel for when he can and can't ride an official. The second Kentucky game, Rick played the officials perfectly. At halftime he said, "We ARE going to shoot some free throws," and we did. At one point, we got a cheap call in our favor, the camera flashed to Calipari, who, smiling, clearly said to Rick, "That was yours." It cut to Rick who grinned back at him. Almost like a tip of the hat and a bow.

Yep because 4 shots AND the ball with 1.7 left would mean so much more than OT and a chance to win. Stupid thread is stupid.

Reactions: T-TownVol

VN Store

Back