Barnes benching of Uros

Hereinlies the problem as evidenced in this thread. The fans have no idea what a decent big looks like and the continued delusion create false expectations from the players and team.
I was eating out with the wife at a sports bar and Purdue was on the tellie. Just sat there watching them play and just shook my head at the thought of us playing against a team like that. Highlighted just what you posted. We've got 2 projects(Aidoo/Awaka) coming back next year, but this staff will have to really go above and beyond with their development skills. Hope Estrella is more ready for the SEC than not.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I wouldn’t mind seeing Uros battling Edey. For ***** and giggles. I wouldn’t expect to win unless Edey was to foul out.

I was eating out with the wife at a sports bar and Purdue was on the tellie. Just sat there watching them play and just shook my head at the thought of us playing against a team like that. Highlighted just what you posted. We've got 2 projects(Aidoo/Awaka) coming back next year, but this staff will have to really go above and beyond with their development skills. Hope Estrella is more ready for the SEC than not.

I've said it multiple times. I think Awaka has more upside. He clearly is a natural rebounder. He's strong. He has a soft touch around the basket. There have been young players who have greatly improved their FT shooting over time. If he can get to 75% he will be tough. We'll see which way he goes.

Reactions: walkenvol
I think he would be our best hope defending against Edey outside of the obvious double team.

If the refs called it tight then Aidoo would have a chance. But if they let them play rough in the paint Edey would flick Aidoo out of his way. And Edey has nearly a foot on Awaka - so that wouldn’t work either.

It’s going to be entirely up to officiating whether or not PU takes the natty.

Personally think that Uros, at his size, doesn’t play big man ball. Every time he touches it he makes himself the smallest guy on the court by bringing it down to his knees and he can’t attack the rim. He has had to resort to being a thug, which to me, doesn’t do anything with the exception of inciting the opponent and their fan base. It doesn’t energize our team, to me it becomes a distraction and causes everyone to lose focus. That’s just my two cents.

I like Aidoo, but he needs to bulk up 20 lbs so he can actually get position under the rim, plus he has a good mid-range shot and the wing span to become a force at blocking shots.

Awaka has the highest upside to me, size, strong hands, rebounds with tenacity and high points each rebound, gets good inside position. Shooting and basketball IQ are the things he will need to work on.

Need additional fresh bodies in the 5 spot for sure for depth.
I agree Awaka has the most upside of our bigs. he needs some practice with his free throws, but he is a great rebounder and has a nice touch around the basket.

Uros maybe the best foul shot maker in SEC history! Our 6 and 8 finish had a lot more to do with our point guard being hurt. Both Phillips and James were hurt for many of those games. And we have two or three players that are very inconsistent. One game they will score 15 points and grab 10 rebounds and the next game they will score 3 point and grab 1 rebound. Barns did the right thing by benching Uros and giving him spot play in the later part of the season.

How dare you disparage the name of Rick Barnes! The man who secretly cut a deal with UCLA for MORE money, only to have it boomerang back into his own face when he pushed a competent AD too far, and then sneak back into an incompetent ex-UTAD office and negotiate a higher longer term contract and salary so we can go to the NCAA tournament EVERY year and lose in what seems like contractual fashion in the second round!!! How utterly DARE YOU SIR !!!!

2151bm.gif

Before Barnes benched Uros while he was starting and playing a key roll the team was 17-2 and since being demoted the team was 6-8. The team feeds off his energy, right or wrong the team just had a tough edge to them the first half of the season and now they are soft.
Uros is a pretty fiery man that will not back down! There has to be a reason for our late season collapse, you could be right!

Reactions: twigsxx2
Uros is a pretty fiery man that will not back down! There has to be a reason for our late season collapse, you could be right!
I do get your point, but then again, the thought of our success or lack thereof depending upon playing Plavi disturbs me no end.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Aidoo and Awaka have more long term potential than Plavsic.

Awaka is a rebounding machine who has improved his post moves over the season and Aidoo has a good mid range game and is a shot blocker.
exactly...and i'm prettty sure he wasn't the gatorade player of the year in New York because he was too "soft" Adoo,Awaka and Olivier Nkamhoua need more touches but i think that Mashack can be a real missing piece of the puzzle if he ever developes a outside shot....

Aidoo has the potential to be pretty good, I think, but he's soft. Awaka and Uros have some size and are not soft, but they're limited. The
three-pronged approach certainly flopped in this contest--they collectively did virtually nothing.
Aidoo has zero back to the bucket game

Aidoo has zero back to the bucket game
He showed a nice left handed hook from the post several times this season. Think he struggles to hold his position against a physical defender. He’s certainly trending up from his freshman to sophomore seasons. Hopefully next year is another improvement!

Reactions: Volfan1000
Aidoo has the potential to be pretty good, I think, but he's soft. Awaka and Uros have some size and are not soft, but they're limited. The
three-pronged approach certainly flopped in this contest--they collectively did virtually nothing.
Aidoo isn’t soft, he’s skinny. He’ll bulk up and will be better able to hold his ground.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Before Barnes benched Uros while he was starting and playing a key roll the team was 17-2 and since being demoted the team was 6-8. The team feeds off his energy, right or wrong the team just had a tough edge to them the first half of the season and now they are soft.

It was the scumbag officiating that got in this team’s head. Look at the free throw discrepancy against weak ass Kentucky and weak ass Texas a & m. We get scumbagged by the SEC officials in every sport. They need to move the Hq from Birmingham to Atlanta. Too much Alabama influence.

Bumping this thread. Two starts in the tournament for Uros and we are 2-0. He set the tone early with his physical play.

VN Store

Back